U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times

Advertisements

Lol no, she went to Lombok for her honeymoon and said it was like Bali about 15 years ago. Penang was an unnecessary part of my sentence other than to just generally imply that that is the view point of her and her Penang peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 11:06 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
BALI. Still a beautiful gorgeous place. But, with that rise in popularity, it consistently brings in more dregs of society looking for a cheap place to get drunk - Kuta Beach. Along with that, more Indonesians from across the nation, are finding it a good place to sell drugs, sell illegal things, and just generally harass tourists which they see as potential ATM machines.

One argument could be that all of Bali is just being ruined. Another element could be that Bali is just as special and unique as ever, people just have to get away from the Kuta region altogether.

Where do you see Bali's future?
need to re-spread paganism with bali as a base. Garuda already flies on the flag and indonesia is somewhat secular.

majapahit forever!

The battle of nahavand was a tragedy for asia.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I found Thailand vastly more interesting, beautiful, and the food wonderful.
The beautiful think about Thailand is its an entire country...whereas Bali is just a small island in a significantly larger country.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Yes, very true.
Nonetheless, I found Bali only attractive sporadically in spots. Most of the southern parts of the island are overwhelmingly over-developed, filled with traffic, noise, and ugliness and I don't just mean Kuta. And the temples and shrines are overrun with tourists.

Even Ubud was a mess though it gets a lot of praise (the countryside around Ubud was attractive though).

I stayed in a beautiful hotel and area but it felt like an oasis and a totally different experience once you step outside.

When I was there i often wondered if Lombok offered something better, much like Bali was years and years ago.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, very true.
Nonetheless, I found Bali only attractive sporadically in spots. Most of the southern parts of the island are overwhelmingly over-developed, filled with traffic, noise, and ugliness and I don't just mean Kuta. And the temples and shrines are overrun with tourists.

Even Ubud was a mess though it gets a lot of praise (the countryside around Ubud was attractive though).

I stayed in a beautiful hotel and area but it felt like an oasis and a totally different experience once you step outside.

When I was there i often wondered if Lombok offered something better, much like Bali was years and years ago.
That's probably the strongest aspect of Bali - the villas/accommodations/etc.

But the way they rip off tourists is unbelievable. Recently I was in Lovina, near Singaraja. I needed to go into the city a few times, and unlike most other hotels, they hotel staff would not tell me the ballpark price for what they SHOULD be charging to get into the nearby city. Like in Thailand, usually they'll just tell you it is so much baht, but they might add another $1 or $2 for a farang, etc. Typical Indonesia-style, even the hotels try to rip you off by calling their 'driver' and trying to charge US$10-15 for a short trip of about 10-15 minutes. (Meanwhile, you can organize a driver for half a day for like $25-30).

Anyway, Bali still remains quite attractive to me, but the combination of gridlock traffic, aggressive and annoying touts, along with many little incidents like the above, certainly begin to chip away at the charm. Not that the other stuff doesn't happen elsewhere, it's just that Bali can be both excessive and well-known for it.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,020,101 times
I loved Ubud. Picked a villa far from the main street and near the Yoga House and it was so quiet and peaceful

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I've never been to Lombok, only Bali.

But, to me, one of the most endearing aspects of Bali is the Hindu element. I can't imagine a Muslim version of it appealing to me.

That being said, it seems that many Bali enthusiasts are finding something they like about Lombok.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 PM

MALUKU UTARA...........what?

The Indonesian Tourism Industry: A Bright Future and Opportunities for Australia - Future Directions International

Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
keep it pagan and garuda flying

Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,948 times

Bali is fun and all (been there a few times) but anyone with a keen pair of eyes can tell that it is beginning to be overloaded - especially from Ubud southwards! The sooner Indonesia spreads its tourism out, the better for both Bali and the rest of the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia