U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, when you are only about 25% of the population, they don't have a voice politically anyways, in a democracy.
yeah, no wonder neither the African Americans (13%) nor Hispanic Americans (17%) have any voice politically in the USA. Nobody cares about them, or even talk about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,389,817 times
And there were also many Chinese who immigrated centuries ago into Malaysia and married into the local population. They were called Peranakan and had a unique blended culture and lifestyle that has all but faded away.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,622,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Singapore only has a separate justice system for Muslims for marriage related legal issues, there is only one system for all other legal matters.
That's pretty much the case for Malaysia as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Malaysia

Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM

597 posts, read 353,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because the Chinese voters cared little about politics and didn't even bother to vote, which is why they don't get the political rights they deserve. Times have changed and today I fail to see Malaysia as a better place to live than China.
Well China is improving its standard of living in leaps and bounds. Malaysia is an average country in terms of wealth. My impression when we are there is of a peaceful, pleasant country. It is certainly that way when visiting as a tourist.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 AM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
China’s improved by leaps and bounds, but with a country that large there’ll be a massive amount of local variation in how developed it is in different parts of the country. For still a massive swath of people, emigrating to Malaysia would probably still entail a boost in quality of life which is probably why that still continues to happen.

It doesn’t seem like the dual system has gone too badly so far, though I hope the religious aspect eventually erodes.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
China’s improved by leaps and bounds, but with a country that large there’ll be a massive amount of local variation in how developed it is in different parts of the country. For still a massive swath of people, emigrating to Malaysia would probably still entail a boost in quality of life which is probably why that still continues to happen.
Yeah, under The MM2H (malaysia my second home) program, Chinese from China are the #1 for moving to Malaysia under that program.

They are calling it the Third Wave of Chinese emigrants to Malaysia.

Mainland China has also been responding by creating laws about moving movie to places like Johor Bahru...too much Chinese money is leaving China to buy up properties, investments, on and on among the Chinese of the Mainland.

I'd include a few links, but there are 1000s of links, I wouldn't even know where to choose....but if someone was interested in it, they could do some google searching.

One of the sources was wondering how Malaysia might respond if the ratio of non-Malay became too high from it.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
I am under the impression that Malaysia is extremely unsafe and extremely corrupt.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I am under the impression that Malaysia is extremely unsafe and extremely corrupt.
I've never felt either when I've been there. I've been there maybe 6-7 times.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, under The MM2H (malaysia my second home) program, Chinese from China are the #1 for moving to Malaysia under that program.

Mainland China has also been responding by creating laws about moving movie to places like Johor Bahru...too much Chinese money is leaving China to buy up properties, investments, on and on among the Chinese of the Mainland.

I'd include a few links, but there are 1000s of links, I wouldn't even know where to choose....but if someone was interested in it, they could do some google searching.

One of the sources was wondering how Malaysia might respond if the ratio of non-Malay became too high from it.
I wrote that on my phone while walking. Let me clean it up:

Under The MM2H (Malaysia my second home) program, Chinese from China are the #1 foreign group moving to Malaysia under that program.

Mainland China has also been responding by creating laws about Mainlanders moving to Malaysia. Too much Chinese money is leaving China to buy up properties and make investments in Malaysia.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Malaysia is not unsafe, but is corrupt. It is unsafe and corrupt compared to Singapore (and also Taiwan!) but it is better in those aspects compared to other countries in SE Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or