U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM

214 posts, read 91,161 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm posting on here for suggestions of cities in Japan to live and work in (teaching English as a second language). I've never visited Japan, so it would be helpful if anyone who is familiar to share their insights. That would be really helpful. Looking for cities that are more urban (close to airports, hospital, amenities, etc) but still have affordable rents for foreign teachers. (I totally understand that "affordable" is a subjective term, but just generally speaking). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:26 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,

I'm posting on here for suggestions of cities in Japan to live and work in (teaching English as a second language). I've never visited Japan, so it would be helpful if anyone who is familiar to share their insights. That would be really helpful. Looking for cities that are more urban (close to airports, hospital, amenities, etc) but still have affordable rents for foreign teachers. (I totally understand that "affordable" is a subjective term, but just generally speaking). Thanks.
Pretty much everywhere in Japan is great. I lived in Niigata and Osaka.

All the cities are connected by trains, and bullet trains...and most all cities are quite walkable, pedestrian-friendly, etc. You should be fine almost anywhere.

If you make a list of cities are you are interested, and one is the exception to those rules, we could point that out more easily. But, as a general rule, most cities Japan cities have all of those things.

Ahmm...affordabliity. All of Japan is expensive, Tokyo being the most expensive.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 8,112,623 times
I have a granddaughter and her husband over there teaching English right now.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 PM

3,669 posts, read 8,845,388 times
I would say anywhere in the Tokyo metro area is good, not necessarily in the city but somewhere in the suburbs. Personally, I like either Kanagawa or Western Tokyo Prefecture.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Pretty much everywhere in Japan is great. I lived in Niigata and Osaka.

All the cities are connected by trains, and bullet trains...and most all cities are quite walkable, pedestrian-friendly, etc. You should be fine almost anywhere.

If you make a list of cities are you are interested, and one is the exception to those rules, we could point that out more easily. But, as a general rule, most cities Japan cities have all of those things.

Ahmm...affordabliity. All of Japan is expensive, Tokyo being the most expensive.
Thanks. I will come up w/ list of some cities i'm interested to live in. I've read that Tokyo is also very expensive, can a foreign teacher live comfortably there?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I have a granddaughter and her husband over there teaching English right now.
Cool, how has the experience been for them (if you know)?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I would say anywhere in the Tokyo metro area is good, not necessarily in the city but somewhere in the suburbs. Personally, I like either Kanagawa or Western Tokyo Prefecture.
Thanks, I'll look into those areas.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 PM

78,767 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
Thanks. I will come up w/ list of some cities i'm interested to live in. I've read that Tokyo is also very expensive, can a foreign teacher live comfortably there?
Have you seen how people in Tokyo live? Even US micro-apartments are spacious by comparison to how average people, including teachers, live in Tokyo. Especially 1-income couples and singles.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
In Tokyo, many teachers (and others) have to live in something as small as a 6-tatami mat room. You can look up online and see how bit a tatami mat is. Japanese Jo to Square Meters Conversion Calculator and Table - Convert Japanese Tatami: Jo Tatami Mats to Square Meters. One thing I just read is that Tokyo can be down to a 4.5 jo (tatami mats).

Anyways, in short, I've visited friends who've taught in Tokyo, and some of them can live in very small places. But in the countryside, they can be quite a bit more spacious. It's kind of a universal principle actually - same in the U.S. between living in Manhattan vs Des Moines. Go to smaller cities, and your housing space becomes more comfortable, and your salary goes a little further.

In general, most salaries are quite similar in Japan, regardless of what city they are in. So if quality of living is extremely high on your list, and that equates to the size of your house, take that into consideration. For other people, being in the middle of all the action is higher for their quality of life. So they make decide that despite a small living space, they won't spend much time in the apartment anyways, so that is worth that sacrifice.

In short, it just depends on which you want...

Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 AM

281 posts, read 201,373 times
Has anyone taught/familiar with in Hokkaido (Sapporo)?

I heard good things about Kanazawa (highly traditional Japanese city) and Fukuoka (in the south).

I sometimes hate what others love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or