U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 PM

18,459 posts, read 9,561,235 times

Advertisements

I worked several years in China, Korea & Mongolia and visited other Asian nations and as a general rule of thumb, Asians seem happier to me than Europe, Middle East or the Americas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,622,869 times
Generally the people that aren't obsessed with money and don't let material possessions control their life seem to be the happiest.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:06 AM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Yes I noticed too the happiness of the Filipinos when I visited 30 years ago, France by comparison seemed glum and bleak when I came back.
Maybe it's not about who is actually happier but how different people from different cultures express themselves socially.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
Probably a cost of living issue and a wanting to Keep up with the Joneses thing to impress their peers or something. Mexicans don't really seem to care what other people think about them and just live their life the best they can, finding happiness in simpler things, and their family. Similar to Filipinos imo.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-22-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 AM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
In some cultures, if you walk around with a doofy smile on your face all day, people think you're dumb.

So be careful how you interpret who is happy and who is not.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In some cultures, if you walk around with a doofy smile on your face all day, people think you're dumb.

So be careful how you interpret who is happy and who is not.
haha. quite true. Why would people think having a smile on the face indicates happiness?? Smile or laugh has little to do with happiness.

On the other hand, I think Asians (east Asians) not that happy. In today's China for example, most people don't even pursue happiness. They pursue success/more and more wealth.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:23 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,611,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think Chinese are less happy than Americans.

Maybe just another way of expression.
I think that is the crux of the matter - maybe a lot of Asians don't show their feelings in public that in the way that Americans are. It doesn't mean that they as a community aren't as happy.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:00 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I think that is the crux of the matter - maybe a lot of Asians don't show their feelings in public that in the way that Americans are. It doesn't mean that they as a community aren't as happy.
Yes and maybe different tastes of arts etc too.

I noticed Mexican places often play pleasant Latino music. Chinese restaurants often play things that sound sad/sophisticated. Many pop songs in China are about pains from love, life etc. Many Chinese people like to eat bitter melons and believe it is good for health. Most Americans never touch it.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 PM

721 posts, read 298,570 times
I lived in Asia for years, and I noticed that they seem happier than most other people. I met Asians who literally live in a slum who are content with life. They live in situations that would drive westerners to suicide, but they seem content.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha. quite true. Why would people think having a smile on the face indicates happiness?? Smile or laugh has little to do with happiness.

On the other hand, I think Asians (east Asians) not that happy. In today's China for example, most people don't even pursue happiness. They pursue success/more and more wealth.
I've heard a lot of Chinese people don't even care about love or romance, the arts, mind, body and spirit, and that they're unemotional. It's all about having a son, the family name, status, owning as much property as possible, making as much money as possible, etc. What a sad life it must be there. I couldn't imagine living in a country that's even more shallow than the U.S. They're definitely less happy than Americans from what I've seen.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-22-2017 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or