U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,394,116 times

Advertisements

Filipinos and Thai people seem to be very happy and extraverted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've heard a lot of Chinese people don't even care about love or romance, the arts, mind, body and spirit, and that they're unemotional. It's all about having a son, the family name, status, owning as much property as possible, making as much money as possible, etc. What a sad life it must be there. I couldn't imagine living in a country that's even more shallow than the U.S. They're definitely less happy than Americans from what I've seen.
That stereotype is seriously wrong for the most part.

Chinese people are very emotional. If you go to China you will see people laugh and cry loudly everywhere. China has had the one child policy until two years ago. Half of urban families do not have a son and they do not really think too much about it. Three of my cousins are only daughters of their parents.

Sometimes I wonder where people get those ridiculous stereotypes.

It's true Chinese culture emphasizes family values more than individual interests, compared to western culture, but that does not necessarily lead to unhappiness.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In some cultures, if you walk around with a doofy smile on your face all day, people think you're dumb.

So be careful how you interpret who is happy and who is not.
Smiles that express true happiness do not look dumb in any culture, as long as they are shown in appropriate situations (not in funerals, not when someone is telling you their problems or complaints, etc.). Some people or cultures do smile less. But if someone will go to such extent as not smile because he/she might be seen as stupid by others, that person is not and will never be a happy person.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've heard a lot of Chinese people don't even care about love or romance, the arts, mind, body and spirit, and that they're unemotional. It's all about having a son, the family name, status, owning as much property as possible, making as much money as possible, etc. What a sad life it must be there. I couldn't imagine living in a country that's even more shallow than the U.S. They're definitely less happy than Americans from what I've seen.
I wouldn't go that far ... the Chinese are emotional. They just don't say I love you, this is fantastic all the time.

American often don't understand that the Chinese (and Japanese) culture is a high context one, which means people don't always convey their emotion through words. Parents and children, men and women love each other, but they rarely say it. For the same reason, their happiness and sadness are often subtle and hidden. It is not always written on the face.

For example, when a child scores an A, an American parent will say "wow, that's so great! I am so proud of you". A Chinese parent will probably simple touch the head of the child without saying anything, but that itself shows approval and happiness. The best they will say is "not bad".

But you are right in today's China, especially in large cities, people care less and less about anything spiritual. They increasingly equal wealth with happiness, which I really don't like. Few people even read books. However of course it doesn't apply to everyone. I think it is a phase because only 20 years ago most people were rather poor and even owning a car was a luxury dream. In a couple of generations, I think people will be less materialistic.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Smiles that express true happiness do not look dumb in any culture, as long as they are shown in appropriate situations (not in funerals, not when someone is telling you their problems or complaints, etc.). Some people or cultures do smile less. But if someone will go to such extent as not smile because he/she might be seen as stupid by others, that person is not and will never be a happy person.
no, it is not people don't smile because they think it is stupid. They simply don't think you should smile to total strangers for no reason. It is just a cultural difference, nothing wrong with either. And it doesn't mean those who don't smile as much are less happy because happiness does not necessarily need to be expressed by smiling. For the same reason, when you are sad, you don't necessarily cry out loud.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 10,523 times
Lots of very shallow stereotypes here and everywhere else. You can't generalize a large country like China, or all the Chinese people in the diaspora. To do so is to do us a disservice.

The ethnic Chinese here in the US, whether born in the US or immigrants, are WAY more cool, polite, expressive, easygoing, and fun than white people. They're the white people who seem cold, unfriendly, crude, rude, dumb, and shallow. Well, they tend to be friendly and warm to whites or blacks, but more rude, cold, and rejecting towards Asians. People are different towards different people. You need to equalize things.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:46 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeIn99 View Post
Lots of very shallow stereotypes here and everywhere else.
Yeah, like the rest of your post...

Quote:
The ethnic Chinese here in the US, whether born in the US or immigrants, are WAY more cool, polite, expressive, easygoing, and fun than white people. They're the white people who seem cold, unfriendly, crude, rude, dumb, and shallow. Well, they tend to be friendly and warm to whites or blacks, but more rude, cold, and rejecting towards Asians. People are different towards different people. You need to equalize things.
I don't suppose you realize how bigoted you sound, do you?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:40 AM

22,114 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Lots of very shallow stereotypes here and everywhere else. You can't generalize a large country like China, or all the Chinese people in the diaspora. To do so is to do us a disservice.

Oh the irony!

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM

361 posts, read 227,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It seems to me that Asians are almost always less happy than others.

Japan is a pretty decent country, affluent, safe, clean. Yes they have their fair share of problems, but they are doing pretty good. Japanese seem to be less happy than citizens from other developed countries. Suicide, depression..

Suicide rate in South Korea is actually higher than Japan. The prosperity doesn't help. In the past decades, South Korea advanced from an extremely poor country to a decent developed country, they should have good reasons to feel happy.

Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
Dude, where did you get this "Asians are less happy" observation from?

Just because you don't see a random East Asian person on the street smiling, does not mean that he or she is not happy.

It's a different culture, and various ethnic groups in East and SE Asia show different ways of being happy.

Mexicans look happier because they don't have a work-a-holic culture compared to East Asian culture where work and money is important.

For Mexicans, it's all about family, making babies, and living in a big house and having a good job is not much of their objectives in life.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 PM

361 posts, read 227,258 times
Quote:

So true, LetMeIn99. I gave you a positive rep for the honest observation about how us Asians are mistreated here in the US. Yet you see whites being so nice to blacks, even if blacks aren't qualified for particular jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or