U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:55 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,784,753 times

Advertisements

No.

I'm Chinese, though I can't speak for other Asian cultures. But at least among the Chinese, it's not as socially unacceptable to express unhappiness, grief, displeasure, etc. compared to American culture. And this American phenomenon of putting up a facade of happiness and "everything's going great with our lives" isn't universal among all Westerners either, at least with my limited experience dealing with Europeans. From my experience, the French and Germans are more similar to us than to Americans when it comes to not having to put up this facade of being happy all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 PM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
So true, LetMeIn99. I gave you a positive rep for the honest observation about how us Asians are mistreated here in the US. Yet you see whites being so nice to blacks, even if blacks aren't qualified for particular jobs.
You two are probably the most shallow posters in this thread... In my experience, Mexicans are generally very hard workers. First generation immigrants work 2 or 3 jobs to support their families, buy houses, and put their kids through school, and there are tons of second or third generation Chicanos who are middle class, college educated, and own businesses. Sound familiar?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 AM

102 posts, read 48,679 times
Because life in Asia is all about looking good, feeling good, getting good grades, attending a famous university, having a good job, marrying a successful man, getting married and giving birth at the right age, making a lot of money......

The above together with not open minded family and society.

You will find the so called happy countries less goal driven than typical asian societies.

You don't study hard, your parents say you will have a bad future. You resign from a salary job and start your own business, your wife feels insecured and may divorce you. You have weird hairstyles and clothes, you get stopped and questioned by police frequently. You think you look bad, you may think of plastic sugery. You worry you cannot have a girlfriend because you don't make good money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It seems to me that Asians are almost always less happy than others.

Japan is a pretty decent country, affluent, safe, clean. Yes they have their fair share of problems, but they are doing pretty good. Japanese seem to be less happy than citizens from other developed countries. Suicide, depression..

Suicide rate in South Korea is actually higher than Japan. The prosperity doesn't help. In the past decades, South Korea advanced from an extremely poor country to a decent developed country, they should have good reasons to feel happy.

Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 AM

It depends on which Chinese regions.

Overall Chinese are more eager to show the truth than people like the Japanese.

The Japanese don't dare to express when unhappy with their bosses, parents or teachers. They only express when the people are junior to them, when they are the bosses, parents or teachers. This is a reason they are unhappy. Their opinions are not voiced and heard. They have to agree and do things they don't like. Discussion is not encouraged as in western societies.

Many Asian countries are dictatorship for a long time. Family and Work relations are still also very dictator like nowadays.

For example, few workers in China dare to stike and protest, fearing job loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

I'm Chinese, though I can't speak for other Asian cultures. But at least among the Chinese, it's not as socially unacceptable to express unhappiness, grief, displeasure, etc. compared to American culture. And this American phenomenon of putting up a facade of happiness and "everything's going great with our lives" isn't universal among all Westerners either, at least with my limited experience dealing with Europeans. From my experience, the French and Germans are more similar to us than to Americans when it comes to not having to put up this facade of being happy all the time.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,130 times
I think in many Asian countries there is more stress in life. Families put a lot of pressure on men to bring financial support or for children to perform well in school and of course there is more competition for jobs that pay much less then what we westerners are used to. But, I don’t think that equals unhappiness. In fact, I’d argue many Asian cultures are very happy cultures. One of the reasons I love living in China is because of the people and their attitude towards life. Asians seem to have more of a self driven purpose in life, more so then westerners and I think that adds a lot to enjoying life. Finding truly cold closed off people in China is quite difficult whereas in the US they are more common.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:31 AM

Living in Mainalnd China is tough, tougher than Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. The economy overall is not as wealthy and social security is low. Hospital bills can be a big burden, uninsured patients are too many and many poor people cannot afford to be sick. There are many wealthy people and less wealthy people in China. Poor people need to move to cities far away from home provinces looking for better pay jobs, earning just about US$10 a day in the cities or factories, working long hours and living in bad conditions. Many married couples with children live in different places in the same country due to economic situation. The same can be said for Southeast Asians working in other countries. The other Asian places mentioned here are smaller, or just a single city where familes and friends can see each other more frequently seperated by at most 1 to 2 hours travel, with healthcare funded by government or cheap insurance system.

The reason parents pressured children to study hard is clear. In China, if they are college graduated, they may earn more. If not, they remain poor. Most parents did not have the chance to be educated in the past and have high hopes on their children's education. China has been poor for too long and most families want to be richer by education.

Last edited by HSrights; 12-14-2017 at 03:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,111,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You two are probably the most shallow posters in this thread... In my experience, Mexicans are generally very hard workers. First generation immigrants work 2 or 3 jobs to support their families, buy houses, and put their kids through school, and there are tons of second or third generation Chicanos who are middle class, college educated, and own businesses. Sound familiar?
Ah, an all-time city-data great remains with us. This is good to see!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:37 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,705,725 times
We must remember there is a lot of bull**** surveys that rank countries as unhappy because they score low on things like "Women in parliament". I don't mind reports like this, but they should use a different name.

Here is one that actually measure happiness. East Asia does worse than the European average, but not by much.
https://ourworldindata.org/happiness...-satisfaction/

Last edited by Camlon; 12-14-2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 AM

15,740 posts, read 9,261,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeIn99 View Post
Lots of very shallow stereotypes here and everywhere else. You can't generalize a large country like China, or all the Chinese people in the diaspora. To do so is to do us a disservice.

The ethnic Chinese here in the US, whether born in the US or immigrants, are WAY more cool, polite, expressive, easygoing, and fun than white people. They're the white people who seem cold, unfriendly, crude, rude, dumb, and shallow. Well, they tend to be friendly and warm to whites or blacks, but more rude, cold, and rejecting towards Asians. People are different towards different people. You need to equalize things.
Oh, the irony....

Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM

361 posts, read 228,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Oh, the irony....
Why the irony? I think what he/she mentioned about whites here in the US at least, mistreating or looking down on Asians is true to the core.

It's politically correct here in the US to mock and taunt Asians. But not the other way around for blacks, muslims or Hispanics. Whites also side with blacks when it comes to conflicts with Asian communities. Take for example the 1992 L.A. riot where Koreans were viewed as "racist" people who didn't like black customers, when the truth was, black customers were stealing items from Korean convenient stores. that's one of the main reasons why Asian store owners follow black customers around the stores. Sick of this politically correct garbage here in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or