U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that Asians are almost always less happy than others.

Japan is a pretty decent country, affluent, safe, clean. Yes they have their fair share of problems, but they are doing pretty good. Japanese seem to be less happy than citizens from other developed countries. Suicide, depression..

Suicide rate in South Korea is actually higher than Japan. The prosperity doesn't help. In the past decades, South Korea advanced from an extremely poor country to a decent developed country, they should have good reasons to feel happy.

Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Yes because Asia sucks.

Japan is good though. They just have a lot of societal pressures and stuff.

On a more serious note. It’s pretty naÔve to assume that people would automatically be happier because they got richer. It simply doesn’t work that way.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It seems to me that Asians are almost always less happy than others.

Japan is a pretty decent country, affluent, safe, clean. Yes they have their fair share of problems, but they are doing pretty good. Japanese seem to be less happy than citizens from other developed countries. Suicide, depression..

Suicide rate in South Korea is actually higher than Japan. The prosperity doesn't help. In the past decades, South Korea advanced from an extremely poor country to a decent developed country, they should have good reasons to feel happy.

Speaking of developing countries, China isn't much worse than Mexico economically. But Mexicans look much happier than Chinese. In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
ASIA is about 67% of the planet's population. It's almost impossible to make that generalization.

But if I were to make a generalization, I would say....

FILIPINOS seem to be MUCH HAPPIER than RUSSIANS? So therefore...
THAI people seem MUCH HAPPIER than AMERICANS...so therefore....

Old 10-20-2017, 02:46 AM

9,628 posts, read 5,951,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
In California, Chinese immigrants are far less happy than Mexicans, despite higher income.
That is a very strange thing to say.

And it is not true.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 AM

597 posts, read 353,283 times
I was in China for a month in April and we kept commenting on how happy the people seemed.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
East Asia, Southeast Asia and South Asia are different. Bhutan even has this concept of gross national happiness as a measure of success rather than its GDP. Tourism ads from the Philippines and Thailand often feature people who are always smiling.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,440,506 times
For the most part Filipinos seem to be the happiest people I have ever met, so the topic generalization is way over the top IMHO.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,159,161 times
Yes I noticed too the happiness of the Filipinos when I visited 30 years ago, France by comparison seemed glum and bleak when I came back.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Yes I noticed too the happiness of the Filipinos when I visited 30 years ago, France by comparison seemed glum and bleak when I came back.
French people are chronic complainers and one of the most negative peoples in the world so itís not really surprising.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times
I don't think Chinese are less happy than Americans.

Maybe just another way of expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or