U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,602,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
compare DUBAI to AMERICAN cities
Why? They have very little in common in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM

31 posts, read 113,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Remember the Muslim countries want to bury the USA and rule the world.
That's the stupidest think I've heard in a long time. You know very little my friend. US and Dubai's business/investment ties are very close and it's a harbor for American businesses and economy in the middle east.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 PM

57 posts, read 172,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
He's had to resort to hiring a "White" guy as his sales rap so that he can gain access to the right people.

Virtually the entire work force is imported (mostly Indians or Asians) and they're not treated very well - with almost no rights.

Ken
Many people hire non Asian people because non Asian people are not really qualified to do the job for starters. If your BIL has had to do this just to gain access I would say it was a personal problem within his company because it is a very rare story to hear. I am not saying that it wouldn't happen but to generalise it would be wrong

The situation with the Indian/Asian workforce IS improving as it gets more publicity but like I said before they are not as bad as some make out. The worst thing is the withholding of salary, which drives workers to suicide

The Asian workforce is much better off as they are generally used in the hotels and restaurants with being better English speakers. They are paid on time, housed and looked after properly....legally.

The Indian/Sri Lankan workforce have a much harder time of it in the construction area. They live much better than they do in India, watch blood, sweat and t-shirts and you will know what I mean. The fact that they cannot look after what is given to them is a different thing all together, it gets sold or stolen because everything revolves around money.

All the Indian/Asian money is sent back home so Dubai see's none of the income come back to it. Whilst others will spend some income on themselves to make things more comfortable.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
Many people hire non Asian people because non Asian people are not really qualified to do the job for starters. If your BIL has had to do this just to gain access I would say it was a personal problem within his company because it is a very rare story to hear. I am not saying that it wouldn't happen but to generalise it would be wrong .
Well, let me say this about my brother-in-law. Before he took his millions and retired from Microsoft a couple of years back (at the ripe old age of 40), he held a significant position at that firm - highly enough placed that when he left the company he was interviewed by one of Seattle's largest newpapers about his reasons for leaving. He is in fact the most brilliant and hard-working individual I've ever met. Had he been White he'd have had no problems getting access AT ALL - but of course he is East Indian and therefor lower on the "totem pole". His startup firm is growing rapidly and has several substantial clients already lined up but is now looking to make a major leap in size and so is looking for additional capital to help fund their growth.

So, I tend to think the "problem" lies in Dubai's heavily segregated society.

Ken

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
PS - the guy he hired for the job WAS qualified. It just shouldn't have been necessary to hire him.

Ken

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Well I live here and I see how things work and I still stand by the fact that it is a very rare story to hear on any level and to generalise would be wrong. The only thing I will say is that nobody, whatever colour or creed, will get too high up in Dubai because all those positions are held by Emarati's. They are not qualified to do the jobs either so the rest really speaks for itself

Edited to say, I am not disputing with you that this does not happen because it does but it is not common practice although having just spoken to a friend working for the Autralian Embassy here she would tend to agree that it does happen to Indians. To quote another friends opinion
Quote:
clients not wanting to pay consultancy fees for people they dont think are worth the money.
Very sad indeed

Last edited by Mrs. Jones1; 05-22-2008 at 12:45 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 AM

Oh and BTW a lot of people retire at 40 from Dubai, with all the high powered jobs around here it is hard not to in some ways. We decided to invest and are also now ready to move on, I thought that's what every expat did out here

Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,357,828 times
Dubai exists because it's a tax haven. I've known a number of people who 'live' there.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 AM

Most people have

Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 PM

421 posts, read 604,204 times
Also, if it wasn't for Indian people who do all the work there - from the top to the bottom - Dubai would be nothing but sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia