U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,468,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
To all of you who have this image that Dubai is restricting to a Western lifestyle (meaning non-muslim etc.) you are wrong. I drink when and where I like except during Ramadan. It is futuristic and amazing and although being gay is illegal it is accepted due to most of the locals 'using' the services to save their virgin brides. Although the virgin brides are only such because they have another orafice or two that will suffice.

Lets not be naive about this, yes labour laws and treatment is bad but no worse than other places, they play on it because the 'rich should look after them better'. I have seen where these people live and it is far better than they would have back home. The safety aspect for workers is the worst though and people falling to their deaths from these skinny skyscrapers is common. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys end of.

Dubai is fabulous, cheap, great nightlife, excellent education, medical and living. I will say though that there is no culture to speak of and nothing for expat children to experience.

Yes the traffic is bad but slowly getting better, the accidents are very grim though People drive sooooo fast with no respect and with their lives in Allah's hands there is no hope.

Yes Dubailand has been described as the new DisneyWorld on Steroids and it will be rest assured. Dubai will have have the biggest racing establishment in the world as well as the richest horse race. It will have the tallest building, the longest canals, the fastest cars and the biggest malls.....................if that's what you want.

I love the hotels, the bars, the community, the schools, the brunches, the shopping, my car, my house, my friends, the weather, the desert, the camping, and the the list goes on.....................
My husband was there in 1988. He enjoyed (and is Christian) the locals, epecially some kind folk who invited him to a wedding. The first part of this post was yucky-to say the least, but I just had to comment that my husband didn't have a bad experience then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 AM

57 posts, read 172,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Also, if it wasn't for Indian people who do all the work there - from the top to the bottom - Dubai would be nothing but sand.
I must reiterate that Indians will never be at the top only locals Under that (overall) comes British/Australian/American then Indian/S Africans then Labourers. So taking it from the top there would be nothing for the Indians to do if it were not for the others.

No jadybug I doubt that anybody would have a bad time in Dubai if they are coming to a good job.....it would be really hard not to get along to be honest. I am hoping that Charlotte will be the same as far as friendliness is concerned

BTW I spent last night drinking beer and champagne with a bunch of dish dashes for my friends birthday................it happens

Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,596,578 times
Quote:
That includes even several western Turkish cities, and Beirut, where temperament and mentality of the people is alien to western civilisation, ask any Anglo-Celtic Australian about the behaviour of (especially young men towards women) Lebanese immigrants. Syrians and Lebanese are largely arabised, so they will show less typical characteristics.
I resent that. I'm Lebanese and I don't consider myself Arab. At least half of Lebanon wouldn't consider themselves completely Arab, our country has always been the gateway between the Western and Eastern world. And Beirut is by far the most liberal of all Middle Eastern capitals. We're the only country in the Middle East (outside of Israel) with a democracy if you wish to associate that with Westernization. And it's not limited to Lebanon's Christians; even a lot of the Muslims are as liberal as any European is on any day. The nightclubs, the freedom of choice, the gender equality (which you don't see in any other Middle Eastern countries).

The Australian Lebanese are just a couple of morons from the Northern part of Lebanon, typically Sunni Muslims who are caught in a subculture. They refuse to accept that they're part of the White race and come from parents who were amongst the conservative minority of Sunnis in Lebanon and have had trouble assimilating. They like to refer to themselves as Lebanese but they don't speak the language, don't know the political issues, and have never stepped foot on Lebanese soil. Not to mention, the vast majority of Lebanon supports Australia in the battle against those thugs.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,928,786 times
I stayed in Dubai for awhile, loved it as a tourist, great nite life, I was drunk about every nite there, except for when I had to work the next day of course.

As far as the politics of it all, depends what you are into and gets at your nerves I guess. As far as liquor laws, we have more restrictive ones in many places here, as far as lack of culture, I find many places in America have a culture revolving around Walmart, which is not a culture in my book.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 PM

840 posts, read 2,048,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
For a city of its size, DUBAI is amazing. it may be my favorite city in the world. 80% of its 1.5 million residents are from somewhere else. will this city one day be superior to any American city? I'm convinced it will!
dude their are plenty of foreign that are superior to american cities.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 PM

Come on now, nothing can beat places like Detroit, Gary and Camden!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,468,608 times
CORRECTION: Oops! I got it all wrong according to my husband!! He only stopped in Dubai with airplane trouble. The wedding invite was in Pakistan. Sorry!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,730,552 times
I heard that they can afford all these glam projects because they pay their pakistani and Indian immigrant workers $3 a day.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Basically that is how it goes, but that is $3 a day more they get than if they sat at home.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,591,830 times
What happens to people caught smuggling drugs into Dubai?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia