U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP, maybe you'd want to expand your idea to include "bases," plural. If you're interested in doing some of the cities you mentioned only as day trips, this could work. For instance, if you only wanted to do Jeju for the day, you could fly there from Busan in the morning and then fly back that evening. If you have an interest in ancient Korean history, you could add Gyeongju to your list; it's only about an hour from Busan and thus an easy day trip from there. I'm surprised you didn't list Seoul, but if you want to check that off your list, you could do a day trip to there from Busan as well. (Though, you won't see too much in the few hours that you'd have. Maybe just pop in to Gyeongbokgung Palace so you can say you did it.)

I've never been to Asia in the winter, but I've heard that parts of it can be rather cold. So prepare accordingly.
I'd also like to add, for the OP...that IF you were to do something like Seoul and Busan....Busan also has an international airport. You could just as easily continue onward from Busan (as opposed to having a Seoul base and adding an additional flight to get back up to Seoul for the next flight out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you have 40 days for those 15 places, I actually think that is quite doable. Some of those places really only need a day (Shenzhen, Kuala Lampur for example).

You might want to decide which are the places you want to spend more time in. You may also want to rethink some of those cities. For example, Shenzhen is boring. Very little history, very little culture. I have never heard any Chinese who take a vacation in Shenzhen when there are so many better alternatives.

And no, you can't just have one base. As you can see from the map, Japan is far from Cambodia.
Kuala Lumpur, no one would see much if only a day. Like most capital cities, it deserves at least a good 2-3 days just to get a small sense of the city. With one day, you might not see much more than the airport, transportation into the city, a hotel room, and one restaurant.

Shenzhen. Agreed about that one, not much to see there. A day is probably all you really need for that one, just getting to the hotel, you'd get a good sense of the suburban-like sprawl-feel, which is basically what it is.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
If you're visiting from Europe, Bangkok will be a good starting point. But you need at least few more bases... and depends what exactly your interests are for recommendations? Culture? History? Nature? Cities? Beaches? Budget? Luxury?

LCCs often do not mind your book one-way tickets. Most mainland Chinese airlines are also fine with one-way tickets, but a lot of the other full service airlines will force you to have roundtrip tickets by quoting such high prices for one-way fares. Going LCC might be nice way to go. I don't exactly trust the safety rating of AirAsia nowadays, though.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Shenzhen. Agreed about that one, not much to see there. A day is probably all you really need for that one, just getting to the hotel, you'd get a good sense of the suburban-like sprawl-feel, which is basically what it is.
Shenzhen is boring but by no means "suburban". Also being one of the smallest cities land-wise it has little sprawl. It probably is one of the densest cities in China and has the least sprawl.

What's "suburban"? Pure residential area with little urban amenities except a couple of strip malls with a car dependent lifestyle. Shenzhen is nothing like that. Being culturally boring doesn't make a city suburban.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 AM

2,329 posts, read 1,464,522 times
I will be flying into Bangkok so that will be my base. I am going to cut down to 8 cities. From my list which cities are must see and which could be seen on another oportunity. Feel free to suggest

Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
These are the cities I would suggest to a first timer in Asia:
Bangkok
Siem Reap
Guilin
Xi'an
Beijing
Tokyo
Osaka/Kyoto
Seoul

From OP's original list, I will take out Dhaka. Everyone who I met who has been there hates it. I would rather visit Penang rather than Kuala Lumpur but I find Malaysia generally boring.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
LCCs often do not mind your book one-way tickets. Most mainland Chinese airlines are also fine with one-way tickets, but a lot of the other full service airlines will force you to have roundtrip tickets by quoting such high prices for one-way fares.
And for the OP...to avoid the full-service airlines....look at Air Asia, Tiger Airways, JetStar, Cebu Pacific, Hong Kong Express, etc. They all have one-way flights (with little discount for booking roundtrip).

Also, flying one-way is fine, but you MUST have some ticket that exits the country as well. So the OP should book them all in advance...

Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Shenzhen is boring but by no means "suburban". Also being one of the smallest cities land-wise it has little sprawl. It probably is one of the densest cities in China and has the least sprawl.

What's "suburban"? Pure residential area with little urban amenities except a couple of strip malls with a car dependent lifestyle. Shenzhen is nothing like that. Being culturally boring doesn't make a city suburban.
Sprawl/Suburban....I'm thinking of walkability. What to walk around and see. Shenzhen is one of those cities that takes 1-2 hours to get across on a subway...and few of the stops are worth getting off at.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I will be flying into Bangkok so that will be my base. I am going to cut down to 8 cities. From my list which cities are must see and which could be seen on another oportunity. Feel free to suggest
I'm taking your list and commenting...

Busan - Okay. But Seoul is really the heart and soul of South Korea. Prioritize Seoul over the others.

Jeju - I lived in Korea for years...Jeju is OKAY by Korea standards. It's not that amazing to make one of the top 8.

Bangkok - YES

Shenzhen - NO.

Guangzhou - Sure, why not. It's interesting enough.

Kuala Lampur - YES

Phuket - Sure, why not. Yes.

Pattaya - Beaches are VERY mediocre. It's known for its sex industry, but you see the exact same thing in Bangkok and Phuket anyways, but have a lot better beaches in one and tons of city amenities in the other. I'd skip Pattaya.

Taipei - sure.

Slem Reap - yep, must see.

Jakarta - sprawly city, if you want something in Indonesia, go for Bali.

Gullin - what's the draw to this one?

Dhaka - very poorly connected by flights, with a huge tourist visa attached. Not worth it, if you must see something in South Asia, go for a city in India anyways...better connected with flights, and the expensive india visa is still less expensive than the super expensive Bangladesh tourist visa. Not much to see in Dhaka either.

Nagano - this is the worst city in Japan. It's centered around car industry, and has a more car-oriented layout, and the least interesting Japan city. Go for just about any other city instead - Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, etc.

Tokyo - YES

Others to consider: Vietnam

Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Gullin - what's the draw to this one?
Assuming he was talking about Guilin, it is one of the most well-known tourist destinations in China for its natural beauty.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Guilin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or