U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:29 PM

9,278 posts, read 9,234,058 times

Advertisements

Or, how to save your marriage and get rid of your husband's girlfriend.

China’s Mistress-Dispellers
How the economic boom and deep gender inequality have created a new industry.
By Jiayang Fan

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ess-dispellers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:10 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,620,476 times
They also have private investigators to check if a spouse is having an affair.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:19 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
America had a reality show on this too.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:13 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That seems pretty common in many different places.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 PM

660 posts, read 584,354 times
The courts in China are rather different then they are in say the U.S. Women in China are not favored in court during a divorce preceding and then there is the stereotype of a divorced woman trying to find another husband. Perhaps one of the reasons why many women do not feel the need to divorce if their husband cheats on them or has a girlfriend.

Happens very often in China, and much more in Asia in general then in the West for some reason.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,197,325 times
I agree. It is more a loss of face issue. The wives are more concerned about the gossip than the act. Brothels offer discretion, and a lot of the customers are somewhat happily married.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:29 PM

287 posts, read 781,200 times
I lived in Beijing in the mid 80’s and I remember hearing of prostitution (stories of brothers pushing their sisters in front of cars entering diplomatic compounds for prospective buyers) but never have I heard of actual houses of. I’m not naive enough to think that they don’t exist. What do they use for fronts?

Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times
Fake news from liberal propaganda New Yorker? lol

Old 11-07-2017, 10:30 PM

660 posts, read 584,354 times
Barber shops were the most popular. They use to be everywhere in big cities in China, but are slowly dying out, which is a good thing. You'd have a bunch of really attractive young women in a barber shop with pink dim lights on inside, and not a comb or pair of scissors in the entire shop. Lots of sauna's in Asia and China, and you just have a number of men with girlfriends/mistresses on the side.

I've been friends with a couple locals as well as overseas Asia guys and it just seems like so much work to keep these girlfriends. A second or third cell phone is needed, lots of sneaking around and lying. Just seems like its totally not worth the hassle. lol

Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 AM

287 posts, read 781,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Barber shops were the most popular. They use to be everywhere in big cities in China, but are slowly dying out, which is a good thing. You'd have a bunch of really attractive young women in a barber shop with pink dim lights on inside, and not a comb or pair of scissors in the entire shop. Lots of sauna's in Asia and China, and you just have a number of men with girlfriends/mistresses on the side.

I've been friends with a couple locals as well as overseas Asia guys and it just seems like so much work to keep these girlfriends. A second or third cell phone is needed, lots of sneaking around and lying. Just seems like its totally not worth the hassle. lol
Suppose when marriages are made for reasons other than the couple actually WANTING to be with each other (think gay men in the US trying to hide their sexuality in a conventional heterosexual marriage, although this is probably happening less and less as gay marriage is more acceptable), couple that with the human need for biological diversity and a huge smattering of social stigma, it doesn't surprise me that men would go to such great lengths. And I'm sure women are doing the same thing. Although they probably aren't going to quite the same lengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia