U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:39 AM

5,696 posts, read 3,659,792 times

Advertisements

For those who are unaware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liancourt_Rocks_dispute

The Liancourt Rocks are group of small islands in the Sea of Japan / East Sea (the two names being emblematic of the East Asian squabbles that are the subject of this thread) that collectively measure about 46 acres. They are the subject of a territorial dispute between South Korea (who calls them Dokdo) and Japan (who calls them Takeshima). At present, South Korea controls them.

I have no dog in this fight, but my own impression is that South Korea holds on to them mainly to rub it in Japan's nose; and Japan presses its claim because it can't admit to not controlling everything that they think they should be entitled to.

What should happen to these islands? It seems to me that Japan could score a major boost to its image in the region by renouncing its claims. But then again, there's the whole "loss of face" thing to consider. And heck, for all I know, maybe Japan really does have the rightful claim on them, and South Korea is the one being stubborn. I just don't know. Aside from bragging rights, and sticking your tongue out at the other guys, is there any benefit to owning these islands?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,083,536 times
refer to UNCLOS

Old 11-03-2017, 05:53 AM

149 posts, read 137,442 times
Probably the same country that owns Okinotorishima - Japan connecting their fishing zones. The orange line 2009 represents "Disputed" for Liancourt Rocks ...

refer to UNCLOS: ?? (U.S.A. doesn't belong to this ruling body)

Last edited by greenehaven; 11-03-2017 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: post pictures

Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM

361 posts, read 228,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
For those who are unaware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liancourt_Rocks_dispute

The Liancourt Rocks are group of small islands in the Sea of Japan / East Sea (the two names being emblematic of the East Asian squabbles that are the subject of this thread) that collectively measure about 46 acres. They are the subject of a territorial dispute between South Korea (who calls them Dokdo) and Japan (who calls them Takeshima). At present, South Korea controls them.

I have no dog in this fight, but my own impression is that South Korea holds on to them mainly to rub it in Japan's nose; and Japan presses its claim because it can't admit to not controlling everything that they think they should be entitled to.

What should happen to these islands? It seems to me that Japan could score a major boost to its image in the region by renouncing its claims. But then again, there's the whole "loss of face" thing to consider. And heck, for all I know, maybe Japan really does have the rightful claim on them, and South Korea is the one being stubborn. I just don't know. Aside from bragging rights, and sticking your tongue out at the other guys, is there any benefit to owning these islands?

Any thoughts?
Wow busman, you seem to like to make threads bashing Korea, don't you?

The benefit to owning Dokdo is that there is a lot of fish around that island. So if Korea has claim to Dokdo, then Korean fishermen have a lot of privilege to catch fish and marine produce around the island.

Furthermore, there is said to be frozen fuel in the underground area around Dokdo. Hence, this is why Japan's greedy government is wanting to steal Dokdo from S. Korea.

Ancient map that Japanese court even drafted themselves showed that Dokdo was part of the ancient Koraen kingdom.

Japan's government acts cocky because of their wealth. Yet, Japan's government still has not formally apologized for their war crimes, and still makes fun of the comfort women statues.

Compare that to the Germans who fully apologized to the Jewish community, and even send people from Germany to Israel to help the elderlies who were affected by the Nazi's.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 1,646 times
Whoever that has the actual control over the land has 9/10 of the law.

There is no way Japan can pry this islands off the Korean control barring for war.

Are these islands worth going to war? I don't think so.

No reason for S. Korea to unnecessarily stir the water nor for Japan to obtusely insist on this matter.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:16 PM

149 posts, read 137,442 times
Arrow Beautiful Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortellini View Post
Whoever that has the actual control over the land has 9/10 of the law

There is no way Japan can pry this islands off the Korean control barring for war.
Are these islands worth going to war? I don't think so. No reason for S. Korea to unnecessarily stir the water nor for Japan to obtusely insist on this matter.
Welcome to City - Data Tortellini

link to the main island chain:
Ulleungdo, day 2

Please KEEP these group of islands & fisheries safe ...

ROC -

Last edited by greenehaven; 11-05-2017 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: LINK

Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,236,660 times
Japan.

Those other countries never gave a toss about those rocks until, surprise, potentially valuable mineral reserves were discovered.

Then predictably those countries used the old "Japanese war mongers 'never' apologized" mantra to try and sway world public opinion against Japan.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:00 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,196,156 times
I'm not Japanese or Korean, so none of my business. As long as Americans aren't dragged into it, none of our business

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Japan.

Those other countries never gave a toss about those rocks until, surprise, potentially valuable mineral reserves were discovered.

Then predictably those countries used the old "Japanese war mongers 'never' apologized" mantra to try and sway world public opinion against Japan.
I disagree. Historically Japan always requested fishing rights from Korea to use those waters. Even going back 400 years.

Japan only controlled those islands through occupied Korea. Does Japan have any claims on Korean territory, of course not, and those islands are not an exception.

Ignoring reparations as well, I donít see any real claims Japan has to the Islands. The islands have been administrated by Korea for at least 400 years. Japan occupied Korea for 35 years.

The US is technically nuetral in the matter, but we use the Korean names officially.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 3,659,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Wow busman, you seem to like to make threads bashing Korea, don't you?

The benefit to owning Dokdo is that there is a lot of fish around that island. So if Korea has claim to Dokdo, then Korean fishermen have a lot of privilege to catch fish and marine produce around the island.

Furthermore, there is said to be frozen fuel in the underground area around Dokdo. Hence, this is why Japan's greedy government is wanting to steal Dokdo from S. Korea.

Ancient map that Japanese court even drafted themselves showed that Dokdo was part of the ancient Koraen kingdom.

Japan's government acts cocky because of their wealth. Yet, Japan's government still has not formally apologized for their war crimes, and still makes fun of the comfort women statues.

Compare that to the Germans who fully apologized to the Jewish community, and even send people from Germany to Israel to help the elderlies who were affected by the Nazi's.

Are you sure you haven't confused me with someone else? I don't believe I've created any threads that could be remotely construed as bashing Korea. Quite the opposite, actually. Check my posting history from July 2017 onward, which is after I came back from my first visit to South Korea. I think you'll find nothing but very glowing comments about it, because I was very favorably impressed.

As for the Dokdo issue, I'll admit that my initial post might seem a bit snarky. And that's because I honestly couldn't figure out what was in it for either party, other than rubbing the other's nose in it. Your post has educated me as to the value of these islands, and for that I am grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or