U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM

5,681 posts, read 8,594,408 times

Advertisements

Many folks look to retire in Thailand as it's super cheap and provides extraordinary value - good and inexpensive healthcare, good infrastructure, amazing food, great culture, cheap as hell compared to the US, good looking women, fantastic scenery/geography, good location and cheap flights to travel to other places in Asia or even Europe etc. etc. What is not to like?

However, I am wondering how it will be in 20 or so years when I retire with inflation. I am in my early 40s and plan to retire around 60.

Second question - would you consider retiring in Thailand? If not, what is the reason you would not consider it? Do you think you can find equally cheap places to retire right here in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 PM

1,804 posts, read 806,102 times
It's a third world country.

Hygiene can be lacking sometimes, food poisoning is more common.

Travelers are susceptible to scams, but expats are experienced enough to avoid most of them.

I haven't started thinking about retirement seriously yet, but I believe Thailand is a good option. My biggest reluctance is that I want to stay close to my family and friends, moving to Thailand with my future wife can be somewhat lonely and isolated.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Many folks look to retire in Thailand as it's super cheap and provides extraordinary value - good and inexpensive healthcare, good infrastructure, amazing food, great culture, cheap as hell compared to the US, good looking women, fantastic scenery/geography, good location and cheap flights to travel to other places in Asia or even Europe etc. etc. What is not to like?

However, I am wondering how it will be in 20 or so years when I retire with inflation. I am in my early 40s and plan to retire around 60.

Second question - would you consider retiring in Thailand? If not, what is the reason you would not consider it? Do you think you can find equally cheap places to retire right here in the US?
I loved Thailand for 2 weeks recently but sometimes we don't know "what is not to like" until we live somewhere awhile. So, I simply hope to spend extended time in Thailand after I retire/semi-retire, and if I find a compelling reason to stay forever, maybe I will.

I could probably retire to small-town America and live pretty cheaply but I would be doing far less than I would abroad (it's dull, uninspiring, and hostile to Liberals). Add in lots of travel (within Thailand and to other parts of Asia), and Thailand could end up being equally expensive. Of course, small-town Thailand would be much less expensive than Bangkok or Chiang Mai, but I probably wouldn't want to stay out there for long.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,916 times
Thailand is hot, it's bureaucratic and business dealings can be complex. You can't own property unless you are Thai. You would be well served learning Thai - which is hard to read and speak. There is insurgency in the south. Other than that it can be quite a nice place with many other nice places nearby.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You can't own property unless you are Thai.
Foreigners can own property. Just not land. And not more than 49% of an apt building.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 PM

653 posts, read 582,148 times
Its hot all the time. I mean all the time. Its also far away if you have family in the U.S. Its certainly a good spot to retire, esp for a man, but I'd rather be closer to my family in the U.S. I like being able to watch sports at night or in a bar, whereas in Asia its all on in the morning. People are really nice, but there certainly are some scammers out there so you need to take precautions.

Its probably a really good expat scene as many white males make Thailand their home for the rest of their lives. Key would be getting in with a good crowd, which would be by the big cities/towns like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and so on.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Its hot all the time. I mean all the time. Its also far away if you have family in the U.S. Its certainly a good spot to retire, esp for a man, but I'd rather be closer to my family in the U.S. I like being able to watch sports at night or in a bar, whereas in Asia its all on in the morning. People are really nice, but there certainly are some scammers out there so you need to take precautions.

Its probably a really good expat scene as many white males make Thailand their home for the rest of their lives. Key would be getting in with a good crowd, which would be by the big cities/towns like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and so on.

Mexico is a better choice for most retired couples.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 AM

1,993 posts, read 1,190,145 times
Small towns aren't cheaper than CM unless you live in tourist areas. Dental and medical can be more....the big budget killers in small town US, that are way cheaper here are: health insurance, dental work, water/sewer/trash/mobile phone/broadband/base fee for electric/taxis/massage/maid service/domestic airfare/pharmacy. Western food is expensive. I have been here four years and it is mind blowing how beautiful the uni girls are and their moms are looking pretty good, too. I go to Immigration once per year and do 90 day reports by mail. Taxes are simply getting back withholdings on bank interest.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Small towns aren't cheaper than CM unless you live in tourist areas. Dental and medical can be more....the big budget killers in small town US, that are way cheaper here are: health insurance, dental work, water/sewer/trash/mobile phone/broadband/base fee for electric/taxis/massage/maid service/domestic airfare/pharmacy. Western food is expensive. I have been here four years and it is mind blowing how beautiful the uni girls are and their moms are looking pretty good, too. I go to Immigration once per year and do 90 day reports by mail. Taxes are simply getting back withholdings on bank interest.
Thailand is incredibly affordable if you eat like a local. Maintaining western lifestyle in Asia is usually very costly.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,190,145 times
Make a spreadsheet of monthly expenses..start with the ones you gotta make without even breathing...assume you don't have a mortgage...Thailand: property taxes=0, condo fee= 29 per month, health insurance 102.50, mobile phone 2 USD, broadband 30/10= 16 per month, water 5, electric 28....and that is all my monthly bills. Using A/C as I type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia