U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

345 posts, read 155,318 times

Advertisements

New Delhi is known for its horrible pollution. Many cities in India have pollution issues but New Delhi is the worst. I wouldn't skip New Delhi because of it! We frequently travel in rickshaws - combining fumes from surrounding vehicles with the pollution can make for a tough ride. My daughter has a mask that she wears to cover her nose and mouth and has no breathing issues. They are available on Amazon (or probably even a pharmacy). I'd use one of those before I gave up visiting New Delhi.

Jaipur is a great place - worth 2 full days. You can get away with a full day in Agra, but I'd allow at least 3/4 for New Delhi. No way would I make Jaipur my base unless you're going to Ajmer/Pushkar, Ranthambore or Shekhawati. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Just left Delhi. The air pollution is toxic. Rated 420 while I was there. I'm on my cellphone now. But I will come back later to convey what it was doing to my health.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 AM

Delhi pollution.

My body reacted to it. Had a crazy headache, the kind that you might feel when exposed to open markers for too long...like a biting type of headache.

Mouth was extremely dry, I could not get enough water in me. Hardest though, was it was hard to breathe. Especially at night, it just felt like the body was craving fresh air, but impossible to get. Sometimes felt shortness of breathe, especially at night. Amazing when I went to the airport, and they had fresh air in there. My lungs felt like they could expand for the first time since arriving in Delhi, and just felt great to inhale air that didn't have toxic chemicals to it.

I also developed a dry cough, tons of sneezing, and later coughed up plehm, after I had left. I don't believe I had a cold, it just began as soon as I arrived, and began the recovery at the airport upon departure. My body was fighting in its immune system, just the toxic air that was coming into the body through the lungs.

Quite an experience, and one I'd rather not repeat. That being said, not everyone's body reacted the same as mine. Many in Delhi just life as usual, doing their routines. There was a fellow traveler I met from Mumbai, and he was having the exact same symptoms as I was, the moment he arrived in the city as well. Both of had taken quite a bit of tuk-tuks and such, which is probably like inhaling toxicity as the streets were filled exhaust fumes. It also didn't help that it was winter, and locals seem to burn just about anything and everything they find - i.e. plastics, woods, anything really....to keep warm. Thinking of the seemingly homeless populations that lived out on the streets, or who had their small businesses out on the streets.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:41 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,734,796 times
I managed to time a trip to Delhi this year pretty well as the air was actually pretty good, relatively speaking. The air quality still wasn't spectacular though. I went around the end of August which according to the folks there is after the most brutal heat but before the farmers start burning their crop fields and before colder weather brings on all the pollution from people heating their homes.

I hear that the crop burning surrounding New Delhi is what makes the biggest impact on the air quality.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,024,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Delhi pollution.

My body reacted to it. Had a crazy headache, the kind that you might feel when exposed to open markers for too long...like a biting type of headache.

Mouth was extremely dry, I could not get enough water in me. Hardest though, was it was hard to breathe. Especially at night, it just felt like the body was craving fresh air, but impossible to get. Sometimes felt shortness of breathe, especially at night. Amazing when I went to the airport, and they had fresh air in there. My lungs felt like they could expand for the first time since arriving in Delhi, and just felt great to inhale air that didn't have toxic chemicals to it.

I also developed a dry cough, tons of sneezing, and later coughed up plehm, after I had left. I don't believe I had a cold, it just began as soon as I arrived, and began the recovery at the airport upon departure. My body was fighting in its immune system, just the toxic air that was coming into the body through the lungs.

Quite an experience, and one I'd rather not repeat. That being said, not everyone's body reacted the same as mine. Many in Delhi just life as usual, doing their routines. There was a fellow traveler I met from Mumbai, and he was having the exact same symptoms as I was, the moment he arrived in the city as well. Both of had taken quite a bit of tuk-tuks and such, which is probably like inhaling toxicity as the streets were filled exhaust fumes. It also didn't help that it was winter, and locals seem to burn just about anything and everything they find - i.e. plastics, woods, anything really....to keep warm. Thinking of the seemingly homeless populations that lived out on the streets, or who had their small businesses out on the streets.
Tiger Beer, thanks much for your impressions. Sounds like an awful experience. I have had similar experiences where the air quality was bad, so am having second thoughts about going to New Delhi.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Tiger Beer, thanks much for your impressions. Sounds like an awful experience. I have had similar experiences where the air quality was bad, so am having second thoughts about going to New Delhi.
Yeah, India is huge, and there are many other options/choices.

I'd avoid Delhi as well, now that I've experienced that air pollution first-hand.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM

1,914 posts, read 965,314 times
Keeping my fingers crossed.....I'll be in Delhi in four weeks. I think I'll pick up some good masks before I take off.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:22 PM

2,552 posts, read 1,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed.....I'll be in Delhi in four weeks. I think I'll pick up some good masks before I take off.
Good mask. Try to get air conditioning taxi/ car and don't stay in Delhi too long. Most other nearby cities has better air quality

Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 AM

11,724 posts, read 6,436,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murat_ci View Post
I still see India as a dangerous place to visit. Maybe in the future...
India is not dangerous if you stick to the main tourist areas, which is the opposite of places such as Spain, where the main tourist resorts are dangerous. I have a friend who was mugged at knifepoint in Benidorm, awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or