U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2017, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Reputation: 1037

Advertisements

In light of the recent news about the insane amount of pollution in the air this week in New Delhi, has anyone thought about backing out of a trip that included New Delhi, or are making different plans? I had been thinking of taking a trip to India this winter and making New Delhi a base to visit Agra and Jaipur. But now i wonder if even one day in New Delhi is too dangerous. United Airlines has ceased flying there for the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,521 posts, read 3,108,861 times
Reputation: 3363
just stay at the asoka hotel and eat there. the restaurants in that building are all you need. I can still taste the sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 AM
 
23 posts, read 10,252 times
Reputation: 15
I still see India as a dangerous place to visit. Maybe in the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
In light of the recent news about the insane amount of pollution in the air this week in New Delhi, has anyone thought about backing out of a trip that included New Delhi, or are making different plans? I had been thinking of taking a trip to India this winter and making New Delhi a base to visit Agra and Jaipur. But now i wonder if even one day in New Delhi is too dangerous. United Airlines has ceased flying there for the moment.
I'm going in December....pollution doesn't kill you just from simple exposure.

It's when people live in that day in, day out....

I've visited Shanghai and Beijing a few times each...and I just marvel at the pollution levels. Just unbelievable how bad it can be. I never even heard of New Delhi struggling with it too (although it makes sense).

I will visit in December, and I still can't believe it could be any worse than Beijing/Shangai, and I'm a bit curious to see that first-hand myself.

But, mostly, I'm just going to experience New Delhi, a bit, just regardless of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Reputation: 1037
I"d be real curious to see what you think. By most measures now New Delhi is the most polluted major city in the world. Last week the pollution reached crisis proportions and people with respiratory problems were warned about the dangers. United Airlines stopped flying into New Delhi as a result. Don't know if that has resumed. Yes, the long term effects are known, but in such a crisis as last week even ordinary people had immediate consequences--most notably those with respiratory ailments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM
 
12,327 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Reputation: 19228
Well if one is going to Agra and Jaipur, just head out of town as soon as you arrive and use one or the other as your base. I stayed a night in Jaipur, much less hectic, then swing over to Agra. New Delhi even during the best of times is pretty bad, except maybe in monsoon season but then you have other concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I"d be real curious to see what you think. By most measures now New Delhi is the most polluted major city in the world. Last week the pollution reached crisis proportions and people with respiratory problems were warned about the dangers. United Airlines stopped flying into New Delhi as a result. Don't know if that has resumed. Yes, the long term effects are known, but in such a crisis as last week even ordinary people had immediate consequences--most notably those with respiratory ailments.
I'll be in Delhi just before Christmas...

I'll be observing...and post back here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM
 
2,551 posts, read 1,646,355 times
Reputation: 2035
I have just been back from India. Delhi smog is really bad; you can't see India Gate across the street.

But I don't have any problem breathing.

If you worried, then fly directly to Jaipur from Delhi airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I have just been back from India. Delhi smog is really bad; you can't see India Gate across the street.

But I don't have any problem breathing.

If you worried, then fly directly to Jaipur from Delhi airport.
Thanks for your response. Something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'll be in Delhi just before Christmas...

I'll be observing...and post back here!
Tiger Beer,
You are always on the go. I always like hearing about your impressions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top