U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 AM

51 posts, read 202,955 times

Advertisements

as above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,643,856 times
If you're addressing an American audience, I can almost guarantee that the answer will be as follows:

"Number 1, China. Number 2, Japan. Number 3 . . . uh . . . ummm . . . lemme think . . . I dunno, North Korea maybe?"

Reasons for China are that it is a very big country (both in land area and population) and it's often in the news for stealing our jobs or manipulating their currency or what-not. Reasons for Japan are that people here are very familiar with Japanese-made products and cultural exports (e.g. anime). But beyond those two countries, the average "man on the street" in America really doesn't give Asia much thought. North Korea is often in the news for Kim Jong-un's antics, so that one would probably get mentioned above most others.

And I would doubt if you'd hear places like India mentioned, because India is South Asia, and when you say "Asia" to an American, most of them will think "East Asia."

Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,214,400 times
Being raised in the US, when a person says Asia I immediately think of Eastern Asia, And when I think of that region I think China, Japan, Korea. China is the largest and oldest. Japan is known for WWII and all of their successful companies such as Toyota and Sony. And then Korea because I live in a city that has a large Korean population, anytime you see an Asian person, 70% of the time they are going to be Korean.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Being raised in the US, when a person says Asia I immediately think of Eastern Asia, And when I think of that region I think China, Japan, Korea. China is the largest and oldest. Japan is known for WWII and all of their successful companies such as Toyota and Sony. And then Korea because I live in a city that has a large Korean population, anytime you see an Asian person, 70% of the time they are going to be Korean.
Korea (or, to be more specific, South Korea) is what I would say first as well, for the same reason as you. But I wonder how well-known South Korea is to the American public at large, given that most Americans don't live in cities with substantial Korean populations.

Regarding South Korea's reputation with the broad American public, it's an unfortunate reality that it shares a name with a prison-country headed by a megalomaniacal dictator who tortures and starves his own people and threatens to mass-murder others. I wonder how many people hear the name "Korea" and that's what they think of, without even realizing that South Korea is not the same thing but is 100% different.

Last edited by bus man; 11-13-2017 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM

361 posts, read 227,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Korea (or, to be more specific, South Korea) is what I would say first as well, for the same reason as you. But I wonder how well-known South Korea is to the American public at large, given that most Americans don't live in cities with substantial Korean populations.

Regardless of living in cities with Korean-American population, Samsung electronics and Hyundai vehicles are popular.

The ignorance I have witnessed is when I used to live in the Midwest. Everything "Asian" there to the locals (i.e. Nebraska, Indiana) were "Japanese" to them. Very stupid people.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,012,715 times
I would say its the three behemoths of Japan, China and India. The first two for the reasons specified, but India as well due to the prevalence of IT and "call centers".

Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 PM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Regarding South Korea's reputation with the broad American public, it's an unfortunate reality that it shares a name with a prison-country headed by a megalomaniacal dictator who tortures and starves his own people and threatens to mass-murder others. I wonder how many people hear the name "Korea" and that's what they think of, without even realizing that South Korea is not the same thing but is 100% different.
I personally don't know anyone who conflates N Korea and S Korea.

Where do you live?

Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 PM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I would say its the three behemoths of Japan, China and India. The first two for the reasons specified, but India as well due to the prevalence of IT and "call centers".
India to Asia is what Puerto Rico to the U.S.

Yes technically it's part of Asia, but hmm...

Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Where do you live?
I live in central Maryland. Within my own circle of friends, I don't know anyone who conflates the two. But I know a number of Koreans (from the south, of course) and they've told me that they've run into their share of people who aren't aware of the difference, or who may be aware that there is a "north" and a "south" Korea but haven't really thought about whether or not they're any more different than North Carolina is from South Carolina.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:22 PM

116 posts, read 63,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Where do you live?
Maybe not where you live, but it's fairly common all throughout the U.S. And I'm speaking as a Korean-American, who's lived and spent a considerable amount of time in CA (Oakland, SF) and the major East coast cities (DC, NYC, New Jersey, Boston, etc.).

Most people think I'm Chinese or Japanese. When I reveal that I'm Korean, people's reactions are usually one of the following:

1) *gasp* but why is your English so good?? (duh, I'm Korean-American!!)
2) *gasp* how do you guys live with a dictator Kim? (hey, I live in America, hellooo)
3) *gasp* Does your country even have cars or roads? (DUDE, so many cars in the U.S. nowadays are Hyundai or Kia, both well-known South Korean brands!!)
4) Oh, isn't that like in China or Japan or something?

The young generation however is something different though, for sure. Take Kpop for instance. Yeah, Psy is basically one-time hit wonder, but these days there are actually a number of young American kids (not just Asian) that have taken a massive liking to Korean pop culture in the recent times. Most adults don't know that.

Just check out this one group called BTS that are being featured on the American Music Award scene as the first Asian group. They're on Jimmy Kimmel's show not too long ago, and Billboard and FORBES have written on this crazy phenomenon. So yeah, changing times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlodY8nMw-A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or