U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM

909 posts, read 549,001 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why so many Indonesian and Malaysian of Chinese descent are Catholics? It's odd to me because neither the British nor the Dutch are Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Those priests have been in Asia for a very long time. In Ming dynasty of China, for example, some famous scholars/priests from Spain and Italy worked in China government. They introduced recent science to China.

The British and Dutch were more interested in occupying land and trading, less interested in "serving God".

Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Those priests have been in Asia for a very long time. In Ming dynasty of China, for example, some famous scholars/priests from Spain and Italy worked in China government. They introduced recent science to China.

The British and Dutch were more interested in occupying land and trading, less interested in "serving God".
That doesn't really answer my question. Catholics were there first in Japan and Korea too but most Christians in these countries are Protestant. I don't think the majority of Chinese Christians are Catholic either.
The Brits and the Dutch encouraged Chinese emigration to SEA but somehow these Chinese became Catholic after they got there. I have yet to meet a SEA of Chinese descent who's Protestant.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM

5,554 posts, read 2,894,069 times
Are there that many protestants outside of Europe and North America? I think this is not just a SEA Chinese phenomenon but a worldwide phenomenon.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Are there that many protestants outside of Europe and North America? I think this is not just a SEA Chinese phenomenon but a worldwide phenomenon.
There are lots more Protestants than Catholics in South Korea. It is extremely weird that 90%+ of SEA Chinese Christians are Catholics when most of SEA outside of the Philippines were colonized by Protestant nations.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
That doesn't really answer my question. Catholics were there first in Japan and Korea too but most Christians in these countries are Protestant. I don't think the majority of Chinese Christians are Catholic either.
The Brits and the Dutch encouraged Chinese emigration to SEA but somehow these Chinese became Catholic after they got there. I have yet to meet a SEA of Chinese descent who's Protestant.
In big cities of China, most Christians are Protestants, but in rural area Christians are Catholic, at least in old days it was true. Not sure about Japan. Korean has a lot of Catholics too.

I think Protestants were converted later. In SEA, most had already been Catholic before Protestants tried to expand.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 PM

1,514 posts, read 999,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Does anyone know why so many Indonesian and Malaysian of Chinese descent are Catholics? It's odd to me because neither the British nor the Dutch are Catholics.
The Portuguese had an early start in Indonesia before losing out to the Dutch. Likewise, though the Netherlands are majority protestant, there are Catholic areas in the south of the country and the Flemish / Dutch part of Belgium is also largely Catholic. Maybe the Dutch Catholics were able to build on the Portuguese starting effort?

As a side note, the British found some (or many) Protestant missionaries to be too inflammatory for Indian sensibilities. But, the British government also welcomed Christian converts for both social and political reasons.

After a particularly inflammatory tract was distributed by a Protestant group, the British booted several such groups out and then funneled some official support to the more relaxed Catholic and Anglican groups. The Catholics were then able to send more than the Anglicans as they could obtain missionaries from more actively religous Catholic nations. Maybe the same thing happened in Dutch territories?

Last edited by Cryptic; 11-15-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
The percentage of Catholics among Chinese Indonesians isn't that high. Wikipedia shows about 20% Protestant vs 14% Catholic. I can't find info regarding Malaysian Chinese but think should be close to Singapore (overall population rather than just ethnic Chinese) with 11% Protestant vs 7% Catholic.

You can read why the Kadazans and Duzuns, indigenous groups in Sabah, Malaysia became mostly Catholic. Probably part of the reason why this percentage of Chinese in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore is Catholic. Ratio of British and Dutch Protestants vs Catholic during colonial times is also probably not very far off from these numbers (around 11 Protestant : 7 Catholic).

Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM

1,151 posts, read 950,138 times
I don't have a detailed knowledge about this either, but it does seem that various evangelical fundamentalist Christian groups, plus Mormons (I'm not saying they aren't Christian, BTW), have put a lot of effort into converting people in Asia during the 20th century.

As someone living in the US, its interesting how many Korean immigrants here belong to such churches ... much more so than back in Korea, I think.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:40 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
I have yet to meet a Chinese Catholic in China that I’m aware of, outside of having visited the cathedral here in Guangzhou (my parents are catholic, so when my mom visited, we went so she could go to mass).

I’ve met plenty of Chinese Christians who are Protestant or follow one of the homegrown Christian denominations (my mother in law’s family in rural Hunan has some), and many of them will actually go to the Catholic cathedral for services simply because it’s a beautiful building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or