U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to either one? Both seem like completely OCEAN-related destinations...through and through.

Anything interesting to do and see in their small capital cities of Male and Victoria, respectively?

As an aside..from the capitals...this is what I've been reading, curious if others have either read about this as well, or experienced this...

Maldives (Male): Very Indian Muslim. No alcohol permitted among locals at all. The city itself is very dense, like a little manhattan on an island - that latter part seems interesting! Itll all be submerged with the rising ocean levels though, making it a potentially interesting place to try to visit before that happens. Probably not much to do there, and it sounds like a person could walk all over that island-city within a good hour, easily.

Seychelles (Victoria). African Catholic. Complete with Carnival celebrations and such. Negatives, apparently a small population, but becoming a major destination for heroin and drug running coming from places like Afghanistan headed for East African ports (Mombasa, Zanzibar, etc. - areas already having some serious drug problems). Very little streets lights, making the city pitch dark and not safe, after dark. On the other hand, a very small population with a strong need to protect tourists, which keeps things in check, with a good police force to keep things from sliding.

Anyone hear or read or experience to confirm any of those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Male is not very interesting to visit. Look great from the plane but boring on street level. The buildings are generic and not that tall.

I did not visit Victoria at night so can't comment on safety. The city looks well kept and I don't see any areas that looks unsafe.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:23 AM

2,846 posts, read 3,937,355 times
When I taught university in Malaysia I had two students from Male in the Maldives. Said that their country was quite boring, flat islands with no relief. And the town covers the main island so no place to go for variety.

One day at the beach is enough, thank you; there have to be mountains for climbing and reefs for snorkeling to hold my interest. Thus, I think that the Seychelles would be better for a vacation or longer stay.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:17 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,994 times
I know 2 couples who had been to the Maldives. Both traveling from the Philippines. What they all said is that Male has the urban amenities of only a small provincial town/city in the Philippines and prices for basic goods are pretty high (most likely transport costs and no economies of scale are the causes). Without any mountains/hills or even farms, is even more boring than most small towns. They can't believe that this is the largest city and capital of a whole independent country! The resorts are beautiful, and mostly situated in other atolls. I still like to go there, just to experience what an atoll is compared to other types of islands. Actually, one can as easily find similar beach resorts that are as isolated and luxurious as the ones in the Maldives at a lower total costs in the Philippines (considering the plane fare and other costs). They just ticked the Maldives from their bucket lists, and won't be back.

I don't know anyone who has been to the Seychelles.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I know 2 couples who had been to the Maldives. Both traveling from the Philippines. What they all said is that Male has the urban amenities of only a small provincial town/city in the Philippines and prices for basic goods are pretty high (most likely transport costs and no economies of scale are the causes). Without any mountains/hills or even farms, is even more boring than most small towns. They can't believe that this is the largest city and capital of a whole independent country! The resorts are beautiful, and mostly situated in other atolls. I still like to go there, just to experience what an atoll is compared to other types of islands. Actually, one can as easily find similar beach resorts that are as isolated and luxurious as the ones in the Maldives at a lower total costs in the Philippines (considering the plane fare and other costs). They just ticked the Maldives from their bucket lists, and won't be back.

I don't know anyone who has been to the Seychelles.
Great write-up!

Yeah, I could see a 'tick from the bucket list' with Maldives. I do like the aerial views of Male, just a little slice of Manhattan on an island is so strange to me. I also think it will be below sea levels possibly within our lifetimes, which makes it a bit more interesting. Although I don't understand why they don't start 'land reclamations' or do something to reverse that?

I've long thought about the Philippines being a significantly more affordable and equally interesting version of what the Maldives offers. Yet, I'd still like to see the country, even if for only a week, and even if to never return.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:46 AM

102 posts, read 48,542 times
Maldives is in South Asia and Seychelles is in Africa.

Maldives is a popular travel destination among Hong Kong people and Singaporeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or