U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:41 AM

4,687 posts, read 2,316,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Good answer. People like what they like, and while sometimes they can give factual-sounding reasons, at the end of the day the best answer is "just because." Some people like sports players; some people like K-pop; some people like both; some people like neither. Just because.

K-pop in general, and BTS specifically, have obviously struck a cord with a large number of people in a variety of countries around the world. Professional musicians may be able to give technical-sounding explanations as to why this specific type of music is appealing, but for most people, they like K-pop just because.

I like BTS because I find their music (what I've heard of it, anyway) to be catchy. But others might compare it unfavorably to fingernails on chalkboards. I find their music videos to be wholesome and creative. But others might find them to be decadent and unimaginative. I find the band members to be good-looking (though I don't care for the dyed hair). But others might find them to be ugly. We all have different tastes.
I love BTS (and enjoy other Kpop groups as well) for many reasons. I do find BTS somehow ‘special’. Too many reasons to list here, but I do hope others have the opportunity to experience them and come to enjoy their unique talents and decide for THEMSELVES. BTS has brought much pleasure to my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:46 AM

137 posts, read 102,701 times
BTS - Save Me! Save Me ! + I'm Fine !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu8D3numKlQ

Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 AM

9 posts, read 1,618 times
Just for some general info Kpop, Korean dramas , Korean makeup, products, modern South Korean trends in general are super popular in China. Most of the gifs posted on social media are filled with Korean celebrity reactions. Most teenagers I know love them. Yes, Chinese songs are the most popular because duh. But Chinese music apps are filled with music from every language Spanish , French, German everything man. I would guess the top three are 1.Chinese 2.English 3. South Korean and Japanese tied.
I think Japanese music trends etc are less popular at the moment compared to South Korean ones but Japanese trends have had a long lasting influence.

I think Kpops rise in the US is mostly due to exposure. Korean dramas and interviews with Kpop singers with English subtitles have been shared mor and more on many social media platforms. Espeecially tik tok, Facebook and YouTube.
Like I said Chinese people like music and movies from every language but in the US mostly English speaking stuff is mainstream.

But yeah regardless of some Chinese proganda about Kpop being inappropriate or banned or something it’s super popular. My friend group of which I am the only foriegner sing and dance to Big Bang and BTS every time we go to karaoke pretty much.

This is like I’ve seen countless articles on US sites claiming CHINA BANNED PEPPA PIG CHINA BANNED WINNIE THE POOH,!!!!!!!

When the reality is certain hashtags containing the two characters were temporarily banned on a specific social media sites, respectively, (not all) because of the increased amount of memes being posted containing them. Not just anti President Xi memes but profanity, explicit etc and the site banned them for breaking site guidelines . That stuff happens on every forum ever.
I literally just bought a pair of sweat pants with peppa pig and almost bought a Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt from uniqlo just because.

So yeah Kpop is fun. I’m glad that the US is being open to other languages and cultures. First despacito and now BTS.

(I’ve lived in China for four years. I had never heard of Kpop before I moved here from the US)

Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 AM

131 posts, read 8,939 times
South Korean things are more popular than western or English language things in China. Except English language is more important to the Chinese than the Korean language.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,604,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
South Korean things are more popular than western or English language things in China. Except English language is more important to the Chinese than the Korean language.
They have different audiences. There is literally no Korean movie shown in theaters in China, but there are new Hollywood movies almost every week.

Many American TV series are popular in China too, such as GOT, House of Cards, Big Bang Theory. Korean drama was also kind of popular too but the audience was mainly (young) females. Now they are all gone due to the "sanction" on South Korea.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 PM

1,631 posts, read 964,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I love Korea but I don't like K-pop. Neither do I like those current Pop-Songs of the West.
80s Rock or nothing.
Plus 70s. I don’t like Kpop but if I was a teen, it might appeal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or