U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Which BTS album or era are you specifically referring to?
You'll have to listen to the entire discography of Acid Mothers Temple to really pinpoint it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:00 PM

116 posts, read 63,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I wish S. Korea also produces KRock of its own kind(but not KCountry!!) someday. So many of the recent Kpop songs sound so much alike to me.
They already do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ZUFyS3-e8

Old 11-27-2017, 05:35 PM

955 posts, read 1,545,011 times
Quote:
But they're not mainstream in the South Korean and international markets.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:49 PM

^^^
They are actually several kpop/rock bands that are both domestically and internationally popular. One is the group I just showed you, ftisland. For years ftisland was much more popular than the likes of BTS. Of course there's more demand for the pop side of kpop now (but even then it's more edm, hip hop influenced kpop that is popular) but rock has always had a place in Korean contemporary scene. If you'd like I can send some names of songs your way to check out. While I'd tend to agree than mainstream music anywhere tends to sound similar, there are actually quite a variety of sounds within kpop itself that are overlooked. Actually ballads and r&b are traditionally the most popular mainstream genres within kpop. But most people think psy =kpop. Bts and other groups are slowly changing that prejudice.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:18 AM

14,724 posts, read 10,616,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You'll have to listen to the entire discography of Acid Mothers Temple to really pinpoint it.
If you have to listen to the entire discography to pinpoint the "copying" then they aren't copying them, they just have some similar traits or styles. Nothing wrong with that, that is the definition of music trends. It is not unusual for later groups to ellipse pioneering groups in talent, recognition, and sales. I would go so far as to say it is the norm.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,159 times
Quote:
Thank you all for sharing your views.

I didn't think Kpop was popular among this demographic (and that's fine of course), but I get this sense that many people actually have these preconceived notions about Kpop that are quite false, sadly .

Billboard and Forbes and other Hollywood media have written pretty extensively about what makes Kpop work, and here's the summary of what I could find:

1) Talent - simultaneous rapping/singing and SYNCHRONIZED DANCING that is not common in western pop (some Kpop artists also produce everything)
2) Socially conscious lyrics that invite deeper conversations about race, gender and class relations (in the case of BTS
3) BIG BUDGET MUSIC VIDEOS & AMAZING CINEMATOGRAPHY (see video clip "Not today") that experiments with lighting and colors
4)brilliant marketing on twitter
5) Forward fashion that blends the sensibilities of East and West
6) Growing diversity in America and the West that compels MORE ASIAN REPRESENTATION in the media industry.

Also, I'd challenge the notion that all Kpop = pop music involving sexy girls or some fat Asian dude (aka Psy). It is NOT. The most popular group BTS is actually known for HIP-HOP and EDM, and their ability to blend both, and this is showcased in their songs. And there are plenty of Kpop artists that actually do hard-core rock or metal rock, but for some reason many people think kpop = strange bubble-pop music...
Well, I would not say that my/our ideas of K-pop is so wrong. Talent, big budget, marketing, all may be true. But that does not make good music to me. I hear many K-pop songs all the time but still haven't found any that I like. Well, similar for many other modern songs.

Sexy girls is rather a pro than a con, but overall I do like classic rock, and no pop or hiphop or whatever. I am still waiting for good Korean rock songs to hear on a car ride out in the country.

That's K-Pop for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU1Stc6C8g

And thats music for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww

Just my thoughts. I don't say whats good or bad, just what I prefer.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well, I would not say that my/our ideas of K-pop is so wrong. Talent, big budget, marketing, all may be true. But that does not make good music to me. I hear many K-pop songs all the time but still haven't found any that I like. Well, similar for many other modern songs.

Sexy girls is rather a pro than a con, but overall I do like classic rock, and no pop or hiphop or whatever. I am still waiting for good Korean rock songs to hear on a car ride out in the country.

That's K-Pop for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU1Stc6C8g

And thats music for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww

Just my thoughts. I don't say whats good or bad, just what I prefer.
Yes, of course you have your preferences, and that should be respected. But I must say I'm sorry but the kpop link you've included is not even considered cool or mainstream within kpop. That group was like a one hit wonder that now no one in the industry cares about (I know a bit about the current music industry due to my friends working in kpop entertainment). They are considered as a joke by some fandoms for their outlandish concepts. The kpop that is popular now is definitely more trap, house, den and hip,hop mixed with the dancing.

By any chance, Did you check out any of the videos I've linked here? I don't want to link too many because it will drag the thread down but I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the talent of some of these groups. If not, oh well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsC0jG1M5jA

Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 2,214 times
Their singing ability is very good, they practice hard everyday

Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,640,251 times
I was first introduced to Kpop about 7 years ago, when a Korean friend of mine shared a song that was performed by a group that happened to have the same name as my daughter. I'm nowhere near the target demographic for Kpop (my preferred musical style is what they now call Adult Contemporary), but I found the song to be surprisingly catchy. I also thought it was interesting how they interspersed Korean and English words in the song. (Having since been to South Korea, I've found that this is true not only of Kpop, but of Korea in general.)

A few months ago, another Korean friend introduced me to BTS. Again, I don't fit the profile of their fan base; but I must admit that I've liked what I've heard. (If anyone can tell me the name of the song that accompanies their "Life in Seoul" video, I'd be most grateful.) Moreover, as the father of two young children, I appreciate the fact that their videos (at least the ones I've seen) are clean and wholesome and appropriate for family viewing.

So, I don't know if I'd quite call myself a fan, but I'm certainly a well-wisher of BTS, and I'm pleased to see how successful they're becoming.

As for China's involvement with their American popularity, I would surmise that this would be only tangentially true, if at all. My understanding is that South Korea is very pro-American and would naturally be inclined to tilt our way, regardless of what China may think of them. Also, the American public is probably totally unaware of China's involvement, and thus our expanding embrace of BTS has no connection with China.

Quote:
Growing diversity in America and the West that compels MORE ASIAN REPRESENTATION in the media industry.
Be careful what you ask for. It's an unfortunate reality that Asian men are stereotyped as being effeminate in Western society. And I mean no disrespect towards BTS when I say that, if the average American were to make a list of the most masculine men according to Western standards, it's doubtful that any of the BTS boys would crack the top 1,000. I realize that this is at least as much a boy-band issue as it is an Asian-man issue, but people looking at BTS probably won't make the distinction. And so, their expanding popularity may, perversely, strengthen rather than negate that particular stereotype.

That said, I'm all in favor of more Asian representation in American media, so if BTS can encourage this trend, more power to them.

Quote:
Maybe the Psy phenomenon wasn't so good for Asian representation in music after all, haha
I'm not a huge fan of "Gangnam Style," and I really don't like Psy at all (based on some anti-American comments he has made), but I did notice a sly bit of social commentary in the song's video. There's a scene where Psy is on a subway train watching a woman doing a suggestive pole dance. The only other passenger in the subway car is a young man, who one would expect would be gazing lustfully at the scantily-clad pole dancer doing her thing just a few feet away from him. But instead, he's ignoring her completely, and instead staring into his smart phone.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
I have yet to hear any kpop that I even come close to liking. As I said earlier, I find it less obnoxious than American pop, but of equal interest.

I'm an old school metal/hard rock/alt-rock/punker sort of dude, and I also love a wide berth of electronic music, but pop music in general sounds terrible to me. I can respect that they are decent performers and give them credit where due (I'll admit Michael Jackson was a talented performer and singer though I don't like his music and found him repulsive as a human being, for example), but their sexiness and/or dancing ability means nothing to me when I listen to their music over my headphones or while I'm driving.

I also echo the opinion that I'd rather have my daughter follow the squeaky-clean, traditionally "moral" images of the K-pop movement than the gleefully and and willfully scandalous, trashy, rude, and cartoonist stupidity of American pop music and it's marketing ("hey, record sales are slow, we need you to tweet that you hate white people, claim to be *****, and feign intercourse with some stage props, okay?").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or