U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times

Advertisements

Not sure where West refers too. Doesn’t seem K pop “dominates” France or Italy. It’s rare to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 AM

22,123 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not sure where West refers too. Doesn’t seem K pop “dominates” France or Italy. It’s rare to find it.
K Pop doesn’t dominate anywhere in the west, but it definitely has a presence in france (i have no idea what people listen to in italy)

Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
K Pop doesn’t dominate anywhere in the west, but it definitely has a presence in france (i have no idea what people listen to in italy)
I am 100% sure it is not even that popular in China. Most people listen to Chinese and English songs.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM

410 posts, read 183,053 times
Kpop dominating the US and the West? Well, in the US it is mostly popular with the different Asian communities. Los Angeles alone is home to over 1 million Koreans, so that explain the relative success kpop enjoys in the US. Aside from weabos, otakus and that kind of clique, it is relatively unknown to the mainstream though. It is nowhere near dominating in Europe, thank god for that, it already has bad music of its own it doesn't to import Korea's.
Also, I would credit Japan and it's manga culture who opened the door to Asian pop-culture in the West rather than China to explain K-pop relative success in the West.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 PM

22,123 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am 100% sure it is not even that popular in China. Most people listen to Chinese and English songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Kpop dominating the US and the West? Well, in the US it is mostly popular with the different Asian communities. Los Angeles alone is home to over 1 million Koreans, so that explain the relative success kpop enjoys in the US. Aside from weabos, otakus and that kind of clique, it is relatively unknown to the mainstream though. It is nowhere near dominating in Europe, thank god for that, it already has bad music of its own it doesn't to import Korea's.
Also, I would credit Japan and it's manga culture who opened the door to Asian pop-culture in the West rather than China to explain K-pop relative success in the West.
To be fair, K-pop doesn't dominate anywhere except for in South Korea. What it does have is a much larger overseas (overseas from Korea) fanbase that includes people of non-country-of-origin descent than the vast majority of other countries's pop culture does. Even though South Korea does pump a lot of money into its entertainment industry, it's still really surprising, and I'm also curious about what their deal with Netflix in the US is that makes so many Korean tv series and movies available. Was it sweetheart deal or was there actually a lot of requested demand for it?

Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Kpop dominates the west? I don't think I have ever heard it on the radio here. Maybe it is popular in Vancouver or Southern California.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,545,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Kpop dominates the west? I don't think I have ever heard it on the radio here. Maybe it is popular in Vancouver or Southern California.
What region in Canada do you live in? And just wondering, is rock music still the mainstream in North America?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,314,251 times
So MANY things to comment on re: KPop, but for now, just wanted to say if anything has driven awareness of the genre, it would be YOUTUBE. Young people don’t appear to be getting their music from ‘the radio’ as frequently as in the past.

The following for the KPop groups is astoundingly immense. As far as which groups are the most prolific followers, if you watched as BTS, for example, came to the US for their AMA performance, the audience of fans in the line that extended for quite a distance was not predominantly Chinese/Asian as far as I could see. The fans on YOUTUBE are from all over the world. Literally. The young people I know who are fans are American, not of Asian extraction...The genre has universal appeal.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
How was Kpop (especially the songs from BTS) able to dominate the US market? Aren't rock music/country and hiphop/rap/R&B much more popular among the US population?
It doesn't - Kpop is still tiny in the US and the West in general. I don't know what the OP is talking about.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Where did you get that figure from - there are about 500,000 Koreans in California total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or