U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times

Advertisements

.... So China is responsible for young people liking Korean pop music? Lol. Fake news.

K-pop is popular because people like it. I don't care for it. I used to listen to lots of J-Rock (Japanese Rock) back when I was a teenager and was really into anime. I still even have an UVERworld station on my Pandora. Never cared for K-Pop. Too boy bandish. I hate boy bands. Occasionally I'll listen to Nsync or Backstreet Boys ironically and nostalgically, but its not something I would genuinely want to listen to.

But China has nothing to do with this. Asian pop-culture has been influential in American youth since at least the late 90s. Ever heard of Pokemon? Dragon Ball Z? Final Fantasy? Nintendo in general?? K-Pop is just a part of all that Asian cultural influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
^ Kpop is becoming more mainstream in the U.S. for sure:

Korean group BTS performed in front of 25 million Americans on ABC's Dick Clark's New Year's Eve Celebration this past Sunday (12/31).

For those of you who don't know, this show is loved by millions of Americans, and usually has an impressive lineup of A-list celebrities, such as Mariah Carey who sang right before the ball drop, for 2018 new years.

It's also the first time any Asian group performed and got such American spotlight, PERIOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3alEoH1Cq8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF0I3_stmBs
I did see that broadcast when I rang in 2018 in Houston! Anyway, I don't think Kpop's dominating the USA/West per se, but it definitely has a strong cult following already, and might already be on its way to becoming mainstream enough to be acceptable for people to openly admit to liking there - same with what happened to anime a decade or so ago! If it wasn't happening, then the death of SHINee's Jonghyun wouldn't even warrant mention in US news broadcasts, nor would there be a sizeable outpouring online even in articles written about it by Western media outlets!

And sites like DramaFever and Viki would not exist if there isn't a market for it in the first place!

Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
Agree. But K pop is definitely the second most popular in Hong Kong, Japan and Southeast Asia in addition to local music. English language music and Japanese music are not close to k pop in popularity in HK and SE Asia except the Philippines.

Right now, K pop artists are more active in East and Southeast Asia than the rest of the world.

Many K pop artists popular in East and SE Asia are not generally known outside of our region.

A popular annual k pop music award show of a South Korean company had been held in Hong Kong, not in South Korea for many years. Each year many k pop artists fly from Seoul to attend this award show in Hong Kong. This year, this award show is held in 3 locations, Vietnam, Japan and Hong Kong.

Also, K pop is more international than other Asian pop, accepting artists from other countries. There are some non South Korean artists in k pop music groups, including Overseas Koreans mostly Korean Americans, Mainland Chinese, Hong Kong people, Taiwan people, Japanese and some Southeast Asians.

Regarding the Philippines, I would agree that Kpop isn't dominant as a musical genre on the radio but it does have a sizeable following here! However, when it comes to Korean entertainment, people here tend to be more enamoured with their dramas than their pop songs overall! You would have an easier time finding people to talk about the latest Kdrama shows than people who know the latest happenings in the Kpop scene...

Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 PM

116 posts, read 63,965 times
BTS (Kpop group) made the cover of Billboard, a first for any Kpop/Asian artist group. The billboard magazine is carried by suppliers like Target and Barnes and Noble.

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Billboard also has a dedicated BTS page now. At this point, I'm beyond impressed and wonder if there're any conspiracies involved with their insane popularity, seriously.

https://www.billboard.com/hub/bts

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-30-2018 at 12:16 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,319,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
BTS (Kpop group) made the cover of Billboard, a first for any Kpop/Asian artist group. The billboard magazine is carried by suppliers like Target and Barnes and Noble.

Billboard also has a dedicated BTS page now. At this point, I'm beyond impressed and wonder if there're any conspiracies involved with their insane popularity, seriously.

https://www.billboard.com/hub/bts
I’m going out first thing tomorrow to find a copy! I just hope it does them justice. I have yet to see any serious journalistic treatment of BTS (aside from one brief, but positive, article by a Rolling Stone writer regarding their AMA performance and, more recently, a BBC reporter interviewing them briefly (with some flawed info) at their studio in S. Korea...

No conspiracy, just a lot of the ‘right stuff’. Seriously, this group and their creators/ collaborators have done their homework on practically all fronts: visuals, musical, dance, performance, personalities, presentation talents, training, fan base, research, MEDIA, and on and on...and especially have tapped into the emotions of people through their HARD WORK. No conspiracy, but maybe a little ‘magic’...

Btw IMHO, all of ‘Kpop’ is such an ‘homage’ to American music and entertainment. It’s as if America forgot all that it created and now it has been resurrected ...and made ...brighter. BTW I recently described ‘Kpopas “Motown on Steroids”©️ģ️BTW... , the only way I could get the enormity of it across to someone who asked about it...LOL

I’m definitely not a teeny bopper but I might as well be for all the love I have for BTS (and now other Kpop artists)! You can see it in my posts. Still, I wish all the fans and potential fans would pay more attention to their ‘art’. Yes, they are quite ‘visually appealing’, but the music is really good. Period. The arrangements are really well done. So many layers and their movements echo this attention and dedication to detail.

Today I’ve been listening to and dissecting, as it were, their song House of Cards. They’ve done a fantastic job on this JAZZ piece. The versatility is quite something.

Then there are the links or theories that tie their music to literature and common themes of humanity via their short movies and this is on top of their music videos. I could go on...but, it’s something one has to delve into. It ‘verges on the hypnotic’ is the best way I can describe it, but one has to see beyond the surface. It’s on ‘another level’. Really.

BTS is not just ‘insane’...it’s...insanely special.

It may sound overly dramatic, but they really make me feel ...happy. ❤️

I suppose this is the definition of an artist. They have done well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToSliDxG24

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToSliDxG24

Last edited by tangelag; 02-16-2018 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 AM

And recently, BTS just TOPPED the Billboard 200 Album Chart - the first time a musical act from Asia did that in the USA!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...er-one-w520821

Old 05-28-2018, 10:02 AM

116 posts, read 63,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
And recently, BTS just TOPPED the Billboard 200 Album Chart - the first time a musical act from Asia did that in the USA!

Yes, it really is a big accomplishment.

This is the first time in 12 years an album in a FOREIGN language, let alone Korean, topped the Billboard 200 Album Chart. For those of you don't know, this is the MAIN album chart.

BTS beat out Post Malone, who was no.1 for a few weeks.

BTS's new album is also doing quite well in Europe too. Their new album charted no.8 on the UK's official album chart, just behind Ed Sheeran:

Official Albums Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company

We'll for sure see more collabs with BTS and other western artists. They're getting attention left and right, from big names like Taylor Swift and Backstreet Boys.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-29-2018 at 03:04 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Yep! They are AMAZING. The comeback is fantastic. Love every track. Can’t wait for the concert in September!

Old 05-28-2018, 01:47 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Kpop does not dominate in the west. Please put down the opium pipe.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Kpop does not dominate in the west. Please put down the opium pipe.
Youíre right, of course, and I donít think its rise in popularity is due to China, is it? What is greatly overlooked by many is its origins, however. But thatís okay. Kpop knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or