U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM

116 posts, read 63,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I foresee a big uptick with the Korean average height as the older generation dies off. When you visit, there is a huge different between the generation that grew up during war/impoverished Korea vs. today's generation.
Yes, I agree. There's a huge difference between the generations in South Korea. That has been my observation too.

Most Korean men over the age of 65 are <5'8''. But you can very easily find Korean men in their 20's and 30's who are at least 5'10'' or higher. There are a number of men who are over 6' too, but for some reason it becomes very difficult to find a Korean dude who's over 6'2''. So they seem to have a narrower range than many other ethnic groups.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Yes, I agree. There's a huge difference between the generations in South Korea. That has been my observation too.

Most Korean men over the age of 65 are <5'8''. But you can very easily find Korean men in their 20's and 30's who are at least 5'10'' or higher. There are a number of men who are over 6' too, but for some reason it becomes very difficult to find a Korean dude who's over 6'2''. So they seem to have a narrower range than many other ethnic groups.
You would notice the same trend in all countries that have experienced an economic miracle. It's the same in Taiwan.

Japan's miracle happened decades before so the generation gap on height is no longer visible, unless you compare the old people with the really old people, whom Japan has a lot.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:03 PM

451 posts, read 1,078,639 times
Here is an interesting tool. It is a height percentile calculator. You enter a height, gender, and country. I will state the country's average height by gender and compare it to the height you enter:

https://tall.life/height-percentile-...r-age-country/

Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You would notice the same trend in all countries that have experienced an economic miracle. It's the same in Taiwan.

Japan's miracle happened decades before so the generation gap on height is no longer visible, unless you compare the old people with the really old people, whom Japan has a lot.
Is that really true? I have several Japanese friends, and they also seem to be much taller than their parents and grandparents. I've always thought that the reason why the generation gap on height isn't as visible among the Japanese as it is among the Taiwanese and Koreans is because the Japanese men actually tend to be slightly shorter, therefore they have a smaller range of height to work with.

I think it's also notable that while they're the first to industrialize in Asia, the current average height of 21 year old Japanese males is even shorter than the men in Tajikistan and some other Central Asian countries. They are only marginally taller than Thailand.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:14 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I dont think he/she was saying only Korea would see this but rather was just talking about Korea specifically.

Only 4 Asian Countries experienced this miracle prior to today during most of our lifetimes. You are seeing the change with Koreans, I assume Taiwanese and Hong Kong/Singapore I assume as well.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:37 AM

276 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
I've heard that Northern Chinese from Dalian and Shandong are actually 1-2cm taller than Koreans? Any figures?
Here ya go:

Infographic: Average heights of Chinese men and women by province: Shanghaiist

Diet and nutrition couple with sports really does have an effect on height...I stand 6'2" or 185cm, I'm second gen Vietnamese-Australian. When I grew up I was fed a relative "Western" diet - a lot of cheese, milk, beef and calcium rich products as well as having joined and playing a LOT of sports. Cricket in summer, Australian rules in Winter...

My dad is 5'7.5" or 171.5cm and my mum is 160cm not sure what that is in feet and inches? They aren't short by Asian standards but relatively short by Western standards. I'm pretty much on par or even on the taller side of my colleagues/White Australians...pretty visible even in the office. Having said that it's not uncommon to find a colleague in the office towering over me or a few shades taller.

This is also very interesting:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...eans-sprout-up

It says Chinese and Koreans are sprouting but China doesn't even rank in the top 10 gains as per graph? I think Koreans are naturally relatively tall....relatively big meat eaters traditionally, traditional lands is quite cold but not frigid. You couple it to day with better healthcare, nutrition, exposure to cattle products as well as a very active conscription program and you get today's younger South Korean men. I possibly could see more growth in South Koreans on average to about say the 177-178cm average range, possibly capped at 180cm?

Japanese have maxed as vis a vis their economy and standard of living, there is a maximum average height which humans can attain and some of it will be limited by ethnic background/race. I was pretty surprised they were growing at a very quick rate as well though.

The Koreans I've met in Australia seem to have a higher average height than the Northern Chinese, the former group seem to be around the 175-180cm mark whilst Northern Chinese seem to be about 170cm to 178cm? But as for the freakishly tall, yes that title goes to the Northern/Central Chinese I've met, some are way over 185cm..

Last edited by willister; 12-09-2017 at 02:56 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 07:28 PM

36 posts, read 23,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Here ya go:

Infographic: Average heights of Chinese men and women by province: Shanghaiist

Diet and nutrition couple with sports really does have an effect on height...I stand 6'2" or 185cm, I'm second gen Vietnamese-Australian. When I grew up I was fed a relative "Western" diet - a lot of cheese, milk, beef and calcium rich products as well as having joined and playing a LOT of sports. Cricket in summer, Australian rules in Winter...

My dad is 5'7.5" or 171.5cm and my mum is 160cm not sure what that is in feet and inches? They aren't short by Asian standards but relatively short by Western standards. I'm pretty much on par or even on the taller side of my colleagues/White Australians...pretty visible even in the office. Having said that it's not uncommon to find a colleague in the office towering over me or a few shades taller.

This is also very interesting:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...eans-sprout-up

It says Chinese and Koreans are sprouting but China doesn't even rank in the top 10 gains as per graph? I think Koreans are naturally relatively tall....relatively big meat eaters traditionally, traditional lands is quite cold but not frigid. You couple it to day with better healthcare, nutrition, exposure to cattle products as well as a very active conscription program and you get today's younger South Korean men. I possibly could see more growth in South Koreans on average to about say the 177-178cm average range, possibly capped at 180cm?

Japanese have maxed as vis a vis their economy and standard of living, there is a maximum average height which humans can attain and some of it will be limited by ethnic background/race. I was pretty surprised they were growing at a very quick rate as well though.

The Koreans I've met in Australia seem to have a higher average height than the Northern Chinese, the former group seem to be around the 175-180cm mark whilst Northern Chinese seem to be about 170cm to 178cm? But as for the freakishly tall, yes that title goes to the Northern/Central Chinese I've met, some are way over 185cm..
Northern Chinese in Australia? They are quite rare, arent they? So were the ones you met old or young. Cuz I remember that when I took a trip to Dalian a few months ago, most young men hovered around 176 to 177. Also, can you tell the difference between certain northern Chinese and Koreans? I noticed that the people of Dalian looked almost identical to Koreans facially, which makes sense because Dalian is extremely close to north Korea.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM

3,496 posts, read 1,696,278 times
While Caucasian countries are the tallest in the world. Nilotic people are the tallest group they just don’t have their own country. I heard Japanese and Filipino Americans are significantly taller than their counterparts and from what I have observed I rarely see any Filipino Americans even near 5’4 most seem closer to 5’9 or 5’7 and taller.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 AM

47 posts, read 26,325 times
the average height of people above18 in shandong:male175.44cm/female169.45.
btw: the average of IQ in Wu region is 108

Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
the average height of people above18 in shandong:male175.44cm/female169.45.
btw: the average of IQ in Wu region is 108
I've also seen that same statistic.

But don't you find it interesting that the height differential between male and female in Shandong is so much smaller (2.5'' difference) than what's observed practically everywhere else, whether you look at the shortest Southeast Asian ethnicities (e.g. Indonesia) or even the tallest Nordic countries (about 4"-5'')? To illustrate my point, the average Latvian female stands around 170cm (5'7'') but their corresponding men are around 181cm (5'11'' to 6'). So I'm not sure really how to interpret that data. As someone who works daily with statistics, those numbers raise some eyebrows, in my opinion.

TL;DR: in order for those numbers to be more believable, then the Shandong average male height should be much taller than 5'9'' or the Shandong average female height shorter at around 5'4'', max 5'5''.

I believe that most reasonably Koreans are still currently the tallest Asian ethnicity (on average), closely followed by Northern Chinese, until we have better data that can show us otherwise.

Last edited by attisbons; 12-11-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or