U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,086,220 times

Advertisements

my theory is that tallness depends how far you are from the equator.

german shepherds, Arabian horses, when born in the tropics, are just smaller compared to their counterparts in Europe or America.

that's just 2 species I know. but it may be correlated with humans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM

116 posts, read 64,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
my theory is that tallness depends how far you are from the equator.

german shepherds, Arabian horses, when born in the tropics, are just smaller compared to their counterparts in Europe or America.

that's just 2 species I know. but it may be correlated with humans

Yes, I do think this theory holds for the most part, but not all peoples living around the equator are short (e.g. tall African tribes) and not all peoples living in the most northernmost regions of the world are tall (such as Eskimos). So it's possible that while the general north-south cline exists for height, there might be some other factors at play, such as humidity.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,086,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
So it's possible that while the general north-south cline exists for height, there might be some other factors at play, such as humidity.
humidity could be a factor too. remember when boxers try to lose weight, they need to sweat a lot?

and regarding the equator, they don't launch rockets in the equator. too much gravity.

that maybe a factor on the height.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:23 PM

277 posts, read 205,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
Northern Chinese in Australia? They are quite rare, arent they? So were the ones you met old or young. Cuz I remember that when I took a trip to Dalian a few months ago, most young men hovered around 176 to 177. Also, can you tell the difference between certain northern Chinese and Koreans? I noticed that the people of Dalian looked almost identical to Koreans facially, which makes sense because Dalian is extremely close to north Korea.
Not as rare these days as you think...When I refer to North, mostly they are from Beijing...if you are referring to Dongbei people, yes still relatively rare. The ones I met are young (below 40).

I can usually tell the Koreans and Northern Chinese apart from the dress sense and general hairstyle..

Dalian, Shenyang has quite a sizeable ethnic Korean population, big enough for K-Towns within them and also some border towns are whats it called again? Autonomous Ethnic regions like Yanbian...

Quote:
Yes, I do think this theory holds for the most part, but not all peoples living around the equator are short (e.g. tall African tribes) and not all peoples living in the most northernmost regions of the world are tall (such as Eskimos). So it's possible that while the general north-south cline exists for height, there might be some other factors at play, such as humidity.
Not only animals but also fruit as well.

When I was back in my native Vietnam - I noticed how bloody small some veggies were like tomatoes...I do agree there is something about humidity that somewhat limits/stunts growth? I've read somewhere cold but not frigid temps and a somewhat dry area produces the tallest people. Makes sense - sub artic climates - you wouldn't want to be too tall as you'd need more to warm you and blood travelling further to circulate. Somewhat the same with heat/humid areas, it simply isn't efficient to wick off heat/sweat on such a large surface area...

If you apply this theory to Asia...it is quite accruate? Shandong and what is today South Korea have a cold but not frigid winter. They both have hot, humid stinking summers but are also relatively above the equator. I'd suppose good nutrition and healthcare (on par or close to Western standards) plus military training enables South Koreans to grow to a relatively tall height but probably will never catch up to say Scandinavians just to nature. Scandinavia simply has no humidity or heat to stunt height.

Having said that what can nutrition, health and environmental factors change things? About 80% of my maternal cousins (all live in Aust) are of Vietnamese/Southern Chinese origin who were born or raised here. The shortest is about 176cm (5'9.5") and tallest is 188cm (6'2"), of my uncles - I have 8 maternal ones....the tallest is about 174cm (5'8.5"?)..All my cousins (Im the eldest male and raised in Australia since 5 yo) were pretty much given a Western diet, pretty much followed what Whites ate because it was just easier to buy from the local supermarket...What I noticed was Asian friends (Vietnamese and Chinese) who didn't play sports or were very physically inactive probably lost about 5-6cm in potential height growth.

Last edited by willister; 12-11-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,673,392 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. There's a huge difference between the generations in South Korea. That has been my observation too.

Most Korean men over the age of 65 are <5'8''. But you can very easily find Korean men in their 20's and 30's who are at least 5'10'' or higher. There are a number of men who are over 6' too, but for some reason it becomes very difficult to find a Korean dude who's over 6'2''. So they seem to have a narrower range than many other ethnic groups.
I first visited South Korea about 25 to 30 years ago. A lot of the older generation were like 5' tall only! We saw a busload of seniors, all very short, who are also going around Seoul in what seems to be a government-sponsored program. Our tour guide said these people had very difficult lives and that probably stunted their growth. Government always had programs to help them and the public often excuse their loud, rowdy and uneducated behavior. These were people who grew up during the Japanese colonial times and the Korean War. Probably very few left by now. Young Koreans have totally different height now, difficult to imagine those were their grandparents.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I first visited South Korea about 25 to 30 years ago. A lot of the older generation were like 5' tall only! We saw a busload of seniors, all very short, who are also going around Seoul in what seems to be a government-sponsored program. Our tour guide said these people had very difficult lives and that probably stunted their growth. Government always had programs to help them and the public often excuse their loud, rowdy and uneducated behavior. These were people who grew up during the Japanese colonial times and the Korean War. Probably very few left by now. Young Koreans have totally different height now, difficult to imagine those were their grandparents.
Yes, the country has truly gone through such a transformation in such little time. It is hard to imagine how all of this has happened. Some people think these numbers must be false but really with one visit to South Korea all of this becomes clear. There truly are these big differences between the generations.

I agree with the other poster saying that better changes in diet and healthcare really matter; yes, of course you have the climate/geography factor along with genetics playing a role but in order for your maximum height to be fully realized, you must have a good diet growing up. Otherwise it will be extremely difficult.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:48 AM

36 posts, read 24,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Not as rare these days as you think...When I refer to North, mostly they are from Beijing...if you are referring to Dongbei people, yes still relatively rare. The ones I met are young (below 40).

I can usually tell the Koreans and Northern Chinese apart from the dress sense and general hairstyle..

Dalian, Shenyang has quite a sizeable ethnic Korean population, big enough for K-Towns within them and also some border towns are whats it called again? Autonomous Ethnic regions like Yanbian...

Not only animals but also fruit as well.

When I was back in my native Vietnam - I noticed how bloody small some veggies were like tomatoes...I do agree there is something about humidity that somewhat limits/stunts growth? I've read somewhere cold but not frigid temps and a somewhat dry area produces the tallest people. Makes sense - sub artic climates - you wouldn't want to be too tall as you'd need more to warm you and blood travelling further to circulate. Somewhat the same with heat/humid areas, it simply isn't efficient to wick off heat/sweat on such a large surface area...

If you apply this theory to Asia...it is quite accruate? Shandong and what is today South Korea have a cold but not frigid winter. They both have hot, humid stinking summers but are also relatively above the equator. I'd suppose good nutrition and healthcare (on par or close to Western standards) plus military training enables South Koreans to grow to a relatively tall height but probably will never catch up to say Scandinavians just to nature. Scandinavia simply has no humidity or heat to stunt height.

Having said that what can nutrition, health and environmental factors change things? About 80% of my maternal cousins (all live in Aust) are of Vietnamese/Southern Chinese origin who were born or raised here. The shortest is about 176cm (5'9.5") and tallest is 188cm (6'2"), of my uncles - I have 8 maternal ones....the tallest is about 174cm (5'8.5"?)..All my cousins (Im the eldest male and raised in Australia since 5 yo) were pretty much given a Western diet, pretty much followed what Whites ate because it was just easier to buy from the local supermarket...What I noticed was Asian friends (Vietnamese and Chinese) who didn't play sports or were very physically inactive probably lost about 5-6cm in potential height growth.

Yeah, I don't think Beijing people are true northern Chinese since its an immigration city. Could be wrong though.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:56 AM

36 posts, read 24,542 times
Quote:
I've also seen that same statistic.

But don't you find it interesting that the height differential between male and female in Shandong is so much smaller (2.5'' difference) than what's observed practically everywhere else, whether you look at the shortest Southeast Asian ethnicities (e.g. Indonesia) or even the tallest Nordic countries (about 4"-5'')? To illustrate my point, the average Latvian female stands around 170cm (5'7'') but their corresponding men are around 181cm (5'11'' to 6'). So I'm not sure really how to interpret that data. As someone who works daily with statistics, those numbers raise some eyebrows, in my opinion.

TL;DR: in order for those numbers to be more believable, then the Shandong average male height should be much taller than 5'9'' or the Shandong average female height shorter at around 5'4'', max 5'5''.

I believe that most reasonably Koreans are still currently the tallest Asian ethnicity (on average), closely followed by Northern Chinese, until we have better data that can show us otherwise.
Yeah those stats are def incorrect. I remember another study recently about 18 year olds in Shandong Qingdao in which male students averaged 175.8 cm while female students hovered around 163.5. Ill look it up later.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
Yeah those stats are def incorrect. I remember another study recently about 18 year olds in Shandong Qingdao in which male students averaged 175.8 cm while female students hovered around 163.5. Ill look it up later.
OK, 175.8cm for males and 163.5 for females looks much more reasonable. Yeah, it would be good to see the report if you can find it.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:55 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times
Northeast Chinese are the tallest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or