U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 PM

36 posts, read 24,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
OK, 175.8cm for males and 163.5 for females looks much more reasonable. Yeah, it would be good to see the report if you can find it.
https://www.zhihu.com/question/21948843

Top answer has a graph. Also, I doubt northeastern CHinese are much taller than Shandong Chinese since 90 percent of Ne Chinese came from Shandong 100 years ago. Cuisine as such is very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 PM

451 posts, read 1,079,788 times
I am of Taiwanese background, but was born and grew up in the US. I do not consider myself tall- I inherited the short genes. But, my 2 brothers are fairly tall for East Asian, my older brother is 180cm and my younger brother is 178cm. I am only 170cm. I did not like to drink milk, while my 2 brothers did while growing up. However, I also took DNA tests and it shows I have genes for being shorter. I am taller than both of my parents, though. My father took after his mother who had short legs. My paternal grandfather was fairly tall for his generation. While my mother told me my maternal great grandfather was rather tall for his generation and had more proportional limbs-which my 2 other sibling inherited, as well as one of my maternal uncle who is now in his 80's but is 180cm-thus tall for his generation. My father has a younger brother who is also 180cm. The DNA test also shows my ancestry is a mix of Northern Han and Southern Han which is typical of those with ancestry from Fujian Province, China as my ancestors were from.

My wife is of Korean origins- but I am taller than both her parents. My father-in-law was born during World War II- so that generation of Koreans tend to be shorter, largely due to limited nutrition. As someone else posted earlier, it seems that the Koreans in their 20's and 30's today are the tallest. I lead a group at church and there is a South Korean who is at least 182 cm- he is in his early 30's. I also noticed even some ethnic Chinese from Indonesia can be tall. Most of the ethnic Chinese of Indonesia have ancestry from Southern China- largely from Fujian and Guangdong Province. One guy who is Indonesian Chinese with ancestry from Guangdong Province of China is 181 cm. I have met a few others in that height range. But, I do agree overall the tallest ones seems to be the younger generation South Koreans, as well as Northern Chinese.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 PM

102 posts, read 48,497 times
Southern Han people are a mixture of Northern Han and local people living in Southern China before Han moved into Southern China.

People in Taiwan, and also Hong Kong, have some recent migrants from all over Mainland China in the past 100 years, and may have intermixed with Taiwan aborginals, Minnan, Hakka or Cantonese speaking people.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,079,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
Southern Han people are a mixture of Northern Han and local people living in Southern China before Han moved into Southern China.

People in Taiwan, and also Hong Kong, have some recent migrants from all over Mainland China in the past 100 years, and may have intermixed with Taiwan aborginals, Minnan, Hakka or Cantonese speaking people.
Agreed. I also believe I have some Plains Taiwanese Aborigines ancestry (Pingpu) mixed in. They are different from the Highland/Mountain Aborigines (Gaoshan).

When the Han first moved to Taiwan, most were single men and many intermarried with the Pingpu females. There are scholarly articles and research showing the Pingpu came to Taiwan during the Neolithic Age from what is now Southern China (long before it was Sinitized) near present day Guangxi Province, China and Northern Vietnam. And they share common ancestry with Daic people. Thus, their results on DNA tests may show up as Southeast Asian. My DNA test results from various tests also shows a percentage of Southeast Asian. While my MtDNA Haplogroup of M7c1c2 is said appear in some Pingpu People, Southern China and parts of Southeast Asia. Perhaps my shorter side may be from the Southern native mix or aboriginal mix. While my siblings and other relatives could have gotten the height from the Northern Han element. 😉

Old 12-14-2017, 05:20 PM

276 posts, read 204,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
https://www.zhihu.com/question/21948843

Top answer has a graph. Also, I doubt northeastern CHinese are much taller than Shandong Chinese since 90 percent of Ne Chinese came from Shandong 100 years ago. Cuisine as such is very similar.
The Dongbei population also has people migrating from to a lesser extent Hebei, Shanxi, Shaanxi and Inner Mongolia.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,730,999 times
Mongolian? Are they considered east enough?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 AM

116 posts, read 63,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Mongolian? Are they considered east enough?
They are generally considered part of East Asia geographically, although culturally they're probably more Central Asian.

That being said, Mongolians are actually not considered tall. You can check out the statistics that others have put up, but on average they tend to be shorter than Koreans, Chinese and Japanese.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:13 PM

276 posts, read 204,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
They are generally considered part of East Asia geographically, although culturally they're probably more Central Asian.

That being said, Mongolians are actually not considered tall. You can check out the statistics that others have put up, but on average they tend to be shorter than Koreans, Chinese and Japanese.
I don't think so culturally Central Asian....heaps of battles with China historically so they've also imported a thing or two from China. Buddhism was imported from ancient Tibet. Mongolians seem infatuated with Korean and Japanese pop culture.

Mongolia still lacks the right diet and healthcare to be tall, historically due to their meat based diet, they were known to be strong and stocky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or