U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 PM

36 posts, read 23,992 times

Advertisements

I've heard Korean many times but also Northern Chinese? Aren't the Japanese also tall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 PM

478 posts, read 188,814 times
you right ..

korean most taller than asian.

- Korean
- North chinese
- Japanese
- Singaporean
- Vietnamese
- Malaysian
- Thais
- Indonesian
- Filipino
- Cambodian
- Myanmar

Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM

36 posts, read 23,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
you right ..

korean most taller than asian.

- Korean
- North chinese
- Japanese
- Singaporean
- Vietnamese
- Malaysian
- Thais
- Indonesian
- Filipino
- Cambodian
- Myanmar
I've heard that Northern Chinese from Dalian and Shandong are actually 1-2cm taller than Koreans? Any figures?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 AM

116 posts, read 63,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
I've heard Korean many times but also Northern Chinese? Aren't the Japanese also tall?
Rankings - Mean Height > Height > Data Visualisations > NCD-RisC

Yes, I believe the latest figures put South Korean men AND women as the tallest in Asia (in average height). The Japanese are actually shorter on average than both the Koreans and the Chinese (historically too).

Koreans are ranked 51st and 55th in the world out of 200 countries, men's height comparable to Moldova/Romania (175cm or 5'9'') and women (162cm or 5'4'') comparable to Lebanon/Cyprus. So they're not exactly tall in the world but happens to be the tallest in Asia.

Cross-country comparisons for men's height:

Taiwan: second tallest in Asia, ranked 57th in the world (174.5cm or ~5'9'')
China: 6th tallest in Asia, ranked 93rd in the world (171.8cm or ~5'7.5'')
Japan: 7th tallest in Asia, ranked 102nd in the world (170.8cm or ~5'7'')

Not sure where we can obtain a separate average of Northern Chinese. But yes, they could be taller than the Koreans on average.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:47 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Koreans are the tallest, still short by Western standard though.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,262,328 times
I foresee a big uptick with the Korean average height as the older generation dies off. When you visit, there is a huge different between the generation that grew up during war/impoverished Korea vs. today's generation.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Koreans are the tallest, still short by Western standard though.
Is 5'9'' for men and 5'4'' for women considered short? I thought that was close to U.S. averages actually (not sure how they compare to other Europeans).

Yeah they are not tall, but not short either.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Is 5'9'' for men and 5'4'' for women considered short? I thought that was close to U.S. averages actually (not sure how they compare to other Europeans).

Yeah kinda. Ask girls on the street in America on what they consider short, a lot would say like below 5'10 or even below 6'.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post

According to the chart that was mentioned upthread, American men average just under 5'10". So, not really a huge difference. What I find interesting, in my own observation, is the big gap between the "typical" Korean man and some of the outliers. Most of the ones I know stand somewhere around 5'8" or so, but then you've got a few that are 6'1" or even taller. I once knew a Korean woman who stood over 6 feet tall; she felt horribly out of place in Korea and enjoyed being in the United States, where she was still unusually tall but not as abnormally so.

Incidentally, the chart shows the average height of American men to be declining. I wonder if that's due to the increase in the Asian and Hispanic population, whose people are (on average) shorter than Caucasians? (No country with a non-Caucasian majority ranks any higher than No. 32 French Polynesia.)

Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
According to the chart that was mentioned upthread, American men average just under 5'10". So, not really a huge difference. What I find interesting, in my own observation, is the big gap between the "typical" Korean man and some of the outliers. Most of the ones I know stand somewhere around 5'8" or so, but then you've got a few that are 6'1" or even taller. I once knew a Korean woman who stood over 6 feet tall; she felt horribly out of place in Korea and enjoyed being in the United States, where she was still unusually tall but not as abnormally so.

Incidentally, the chart shows the average height of American men to be declining. I wonder if that's due to the increase in the Asian and Hispanic population, whose people are (on average) shorter than Caucasians? (No country with a non-Caucasian majority ranks any higher than No. 32 French Polynesia.)
That is an interesting observation.

However, the same chart also shows the range for the South Korean male height (I'm assuming around their mean/median?), and it doesn't seem to be that drastic (174cm - 175.8cm). So while there may be some outliers, they probably are very few in the country.

And yes, I do believe the American height is declining because of the recent influx of Asian and Hispanic populations. That's probably a fact that is supported by data somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or