Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Korean not much in Southeastern Asia and not outstanding . Korean usually prefer to settle in countries rich and prosperous like USA/America ( this country is the most populous of korean in the world )
There are actually a lot of Koreans in the Philippines, just started very recently, around 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
I think relative to its size, Koreans have made a large global footprint, perhaps more then any other Asian country besides India, China, and Japan. Indonesia, despite it's huge population, doesn't seem to even equal Korea in global influence and having such a large diaspora. Perhaps Indonesia has a larger diaspora in other Muslim majority countries? I'm not sure.

Not that many live in the US, but Iran seems to have a decent sized diaspora. Perhaps many of them were escaping the Iranian revolution, I'm not sure, but I've seen many Iranians around the world in my travels. They are a very friendly people, not something I expected, also something surprising to me is how many Iranians in diaspora speak really good English.

The Filipino diaspora seems to be quite large, especially relative to Malaysia or Indonesia, and even other SE Asia countries like Vietnam and Thailand.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
To be fair I wasn't thinking about the two juggernauts, China and India, when I posed this question. Those two countries are practically continents in themselves. I was mainly thinking of the smaller nations, even Indonesia which itself is big.

However, by no means do I want to exclude China and India from the discussion, some great information has been presented already, however, would be great to learn more about the smaller nations also.
If you exclude China and India, the one with the largest diaspora is probably the Philippines. But Filipinos tend to assimilate quicker than the other nationalities.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
There are actually a lot of Koreans in the Philippines, just started very recently, around 10 years ago.
lot of Koreans in the Philippines is Tourist not Diaspora

Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find it interesting how far and wide the Koreans have spread, especially given that there aren't all that many of them, relatively speaking. I even found a Korean restaurant in Barrow, Alaska, of all places.

There has been a small scale immigration of Koreans into Mexico starting in the early 1900's consisting mainly of agricultural workers. The largest population of Koreans in Mexico is centered in Mexico city with much more recent immigrants involved in small business ventures.

Where I'm at we have a large Asian population including Koreans. Also many Vietnamese and Cambodians who were refugees from the Vietnam War. Probably our biggest Asian population here are Filipinos.

Last edited by msgsing; 12-11-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Not only tourists, lots of Koreans started establishing businesses in the Philippines. A lot of them cater to Korean tourists, but the owners themselves are Koreans and are living long term there.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Quote:

Yes many tourists but also well off Koreans who go to school there or who are retired especially in Dumaguete in Negros Oriental.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
they are starting to have their own Korea Town.

the Chinese have been there even before the colonization. even in places where you don't expect immigrants to live, you would be surprised that some families have Chinese ancestry, even in the Muslim South and in the hinterlands of the Cordilleras

Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
There’s an old Chinese diaspora in S America, specifically Peru I believe. A large Japanese presence in Brazil.
Yes these I know. In fact a few of those Peruvian-Chinese have made their way up to Colombia, especially the city of Cali and other cities in the south of the country like Pasto. Farina is a popular Colombian singer of Peruvian-Chinese ancestry.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If you exclude China and India, the one with the largest diaspora is probably the Philippines. But Filipinos tend to assimilate quicker than the other nationalities.
Well, there is a considerable portion of Filipinos overseas who work as OCWs (overseas contract workers) and aren't really settlers or immigrants in the traditional sense. You'll find many who work in the maritime industry (both cargo ships and the cruise ships) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia