U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 PM

6,549 posts, read 4,678,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, there is a considerable portion of Filipinos overseas who work as OCWs (overseas contract workers) and aren't really settlers or immigrants in the traditional sense. You'll find many who work in the maritime industry (both cargo ships and the cruise ships) as well.
And they are treated like slaves by the countries that hire them.

Back to topic: I’ve noticed that the Asian diaspora tend to see their birth place through rose-tinted glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:41 PM

102 posts, read 39,569 times
If they are really well off in South Korea they don't move anywhere including Southeast Asia. Most rich South Koreans goto school in South Korea or western countries, number 1 destination being the US. Rich South Koreans don't like to retire in developing countries. Same for rich people in other asian or western countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes many tourists but also well off Koreans who go to school there or who are retired especially in Dumaguete in Negros Oriental.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:49 PM

Most would want to be hired by westerners instead.

It is like asian employers are viewed as evils and the western employers are viewed as gods.

Actually it is not true.
Unlike westerners, asians may not want romance relations with them but many still treat them like family or friends. Fairly speaking, the asian employers themselves may actually work long hours at their workplaces like their foreign employees, just their jobs are quite different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
And they are treated like slaves by the countries that hire them.

Back to topic: I’ve noticed that the Asian diaspora tend to see their birth place through rose-tinted glasses.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
Actually it is not true.
Unlike westerners, asians may not want romance relations with them but many still treat them like family or friends.
That's probably the case .... if we were in a parallel dimension.

Beaten, hit with an iron, doused in bleach: the Hong Kong domestic helpers facing systemic abuse and how city could protect them
Quote:
Rutchel, a 40-year-old Filipino, describes how she is forced by her employer to drink dirty water from a mop as punishment for rinsing it in the sink. “She got the mop, she got the glass and she said ‘You drink it you are very stupid, you are so dirty’,” Rutchel says. “I drank because she forced me.”
Foreign Domestic Worker Abuse Is Rampant in Hong Kong
Quote:
Nicole, who emigrated from the Philippines—like some 165,000 other foreign domestic workers in Hong Kong—recalled that day in January, shaking with tears. "The officer checked my body, and I didn't know there was a wound on my back," Nicole said, sitting on a bench tucked into the quiet courtyard of St. John's Cathedral, steps away from Hong Kong's frenetic financial district. "This was an injustice—I did not deserve this," she said.
Death, abuse, exploitation: Taiwan’s migrant worker shame
Quote:
Of all the stories of hardship, few are more shocking than that of Annie. During her two years and five months working in Taiwan, Annie – 33 years old at the time of her interview in March and hailing from Manila, the helper wishes to be identified by a pseudonym – had five employers. All, she alleges, victimised her sexually.
She was able to transfer from the home of her first ward, who groped her, after he passed away. The son of her second employer crawled into bed with her one night and made unwanted advances, she says. She called the 1955 hotline for foreign workers and her broker was notified, but he left her waiting outside a 7-Eleven overnight and then called her a liar. She changed brokers.
Investigation exposes abuse of migrant workers in South Korea
Quote:
A 33-year-old Vietnamese woman described to Amnesty International investigators what happened to her friend, when she was very ill and could not work one day.
“My boss stormed into the room and hit her – pulled her hair, scratched her neck (it bled), and punched her shoulder,” she said,
“Because I tried to stop him hitting my colleague, my boss swore at me and punched my shoulder three times,” she added.
They went to the police but they did not want to help her file a complaint against her employer.
Family or friends my ass.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:18 AM

4,528 posts, read 2,299,380 times
Quote:
Most would want to be hired by westerners instead.

It is like asian employers are viewed as evils and the western employers are viewed as gods.

Actually it is not true.
Unlike westerners, asians may not want romance relations with them but many still treat them like family or friends. Fairly speaking, the asian employers themselves may actually work long hours at their workplaces like their foreign employees, just their jobs are quite different.
I can’t speak of all Asian countries, but I’ve have Chinese friends who own their own business and most of them do work very hard, not all, but most. I think the Asian stereotype of working hard (perhaps too hard from some perspectives) is true. When you mention “romance relations”, I assume you mean work relationships? Because I believe that is just as common in China as the US. Perhaps it’s taboo to discuss and swept under the rug more, but I know of many men (many of them married as well) who have relationships with employees and sometimes clients.

It’s not always true, but Western companies do often have better work conditions and pay higher wages. My wife has a friend who works in the financial sector in Shanghai. She worked for China Construction Bank for a long time and then for a new job at Bank of America, she said it was a night and day difference.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 AM

I am in Hong Kong and not a foreigner here.

I won't say all Chinese work hard, and surely not all Asian countries have hard working cultures. we also hate too much work or long working hours and don't volunteer for overtime work after sunset except for realistic reasons such as being asked by superiors. Some people are just trying to impress their bosses by staying at work until late. In Macau, the Chinese are not famous for being hard working and inherited a slower work culture influenced by the Portuguese.

Romance relations is actually romance relations between contract foreign female workers and western men. Most such workers here don't have romance relations. If have, usually with western men and not east asian men. And not with their employers. Most employers are married couple with the wife at home every night.

Not sure about work conditions. Of course asians get paid more working in international companies. Their degrees from western universities and good english are rewarded with higher than average income in Asia. In HK, these jobs only hire very fluent speakers of both Chinese and English with degrees from famous US and UK universities. They are western companies, they don't like graduates educated in Asia only.

Western companies or Western familes in Asia, they have more discussion and less "I am your superior, you must obey and shut up" .
There is an Asian bosses suck, Western bosses good opinion here for long in Asia. The West must be better. I personally don't agree this is true for everyone. I can only agree Chinese don't smile as much as the english speaking westerners.

Last edited by HSrights; 12-14-2017 at 03:19 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 11:51 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Thanks for posting this so I don't have to Sometimes I just sit there slack-jawed at some of the posts here. I try to imagine a wealthy Chinese family welcoming their Chinese, let alone Filipino or Indonesian maids, to sit with them at the table at the holidays and draw a blank.

I'll never forget two years ago, I went to Hong Kong over the spring festival for a couple days for business; all of the HK-Chinese were out of town... I went to Central and the aboveground pedestrian bridges that linked the side of the street with the big Filipino mall to the other side where the Apple store and all the big ritzy places was filled with cardboard boxes and there were Filipina nannies who had been shut out sleeping in them. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of women... I walked around a bit, peeked into the Jolibee that seemed you be the Nexus for them where the lucky ones who managed to get a seat slept indoors and the line for the women's bathroom extended up the stairs... No love at all from the families whose households they kept running, who wouldn't trust them to stay in their maid's room while they were away.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,831,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'll never forget two years ago, I went to Hong Kong over the spring festival for a couple days for business; all of the HK-Chinese were out of town... I went to Central and the aboveground pedestrian bridges that linked the side of the street with the big Filipino mall to the other side where the Apple store and all the big ritzy places was filled with cardboard boxes and there were Filipina nannies who had been shut out sleeping in them. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of women... I walked around a bit, peeked into the Jolibee that seemed you be the Nexus for them where the lucky ones who managed to get a seat slept indoors and the line for the women's bathroom extended up the stairs... No love at all from the families whose households they kept running, who wouldn't trust them to stay in their maid's room while they were away.
You probably went on a Sunday, which is the domestic helpers' day off.

The Filipinas tend to congregate in Central; Indonesians will tend to be in Causeway Bay, especially in Victoria Park. I think this may have to do with the Indonesian Consulate General being in Causeway Bay.

I believe now that there are more Indonesians working as domestics in HK than Filipinas.

Last edited by silverkris; 12-15-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 10:28 PM

What were mentioned of the bad treatment of southeast Asian maids in HK and cities like Macau, Singapore and Taipei are far from the true picture.

They concentrate in open spaces all over the whole Hong Kong, not just Central and CWB. The number of Indonesians have dropped in recent years, about the same in number as the Filipinos.

I was once asked by a tourist why people sat and sleep everywhere on sundays. I just said I don't know.

You can also see them packing boxes, sending boxes to their countries, obviously doing some international trade on sundays.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
What were mentioned of the bad treatment of southeast Asian maids in HK and cities like Macau, Singapore and Taipei are far from the true picture.
Except they are the true picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia