U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:45 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,244,066 times

Advertisements

This has been quite an eye-opener. Had no idea migran workers from ASEAN countries were treated as such. I heard of poor treatment in the Middle East of migrant workers but not so much in East Asia. How do Indonesians & Filipinos view China & alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM

5,804 posts, read 3,087,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This has been quite an eye-opener. Had no idea migran workers from ASEAN countries were treated as such. I heard of poor treatment in the Middle East of migrant workers but not so much in East Asia. How do Indonesians & Filipinos view China & alike.
Among Filipinos I would say fatalisticaly. Thus the hero status given to those on foreign work contracts

Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Australia has a good number numbers of Vietnamese, Korean (my wife is one) and the Phillpino immigrants you always get.

Possibly most surprising is the number of Malay people in Australia. In actual numbes we have about 5 times the Malay population of the USA (150,000 vs 30,000). I have no idea why Australia is so popular with them.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 PM

204 posts, read 80,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's probably the case .... if we were in a parallel dimension.

Beaten, hit with an iron, doused in bleach: the Hong Kong domestic helpers facing systemic abuse and how city could protect them

Family or friends my ass.
Many has not been counted the suffering of Indonesian migrant workers ( TKI ) or maids abroad when trying their fate as labor. Cases that arise in various forms, such as TKI / Maid killed, raped, sexual harassment, suicide, hanged, murder, imprisonment, unpaid salary, unemployment work, work-related illness, ill-treatment, poor communication.
Indonesia government has dismissed the sending of female or migrant workers abroad with many reasons being studied:

Some Cases affecting TKI / Maid

1.Saudi Arabia/Middle Eastren: hundreds of migrant workers return ( TKI /Maid) come to Indonesia
together kids with Arab faces these kids may be the result of a forbidden relationship with the employer

https://equator.co.id/450-wni-pulang...-bermuka-arab/
Wajah Lucu dan Menggemaskan Anak-anak TKI Overstay Saat Pulkam | DE-YUAN.COM ~ Berita Online Hari Ini

2. Hongkong "Torture of Indonesian Maid by employer"
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...t-abuse-claims

Honkong "Murder two Indonesian maid by HK Expat"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...and-money.html

Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
Filipino's a few years ago, were the 2nd or 3rd most numerous immigrant group coming to the U.S.A. - behind Mexicans. Other nations have since overtaken them in rank.

Filipino's, because they usually already speak English as a 2nd language, and are Christians, blend-in well with Americans, and so are less talked-about than other Asian immigrant groups. Their country is very friendly towards the USA (despite the brutal atrocities we committed to them during the Spanish-American War). A great many are Nurses, while others are "stewards" in the Navy. From my observation, they are probably the most devoutly Catholic nationality in the world, right now at this point in time (definitely much more than Europeans).

I was very surprised to read that Nepal ranks #8 globally in the number of college-students it sends to the USA. The largest number of Nepalese students are found in the Dallas, TX area. How can such an impoverished country with little industry or resources. afford to do so? Whoever would have guessed this?

Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 PM

102 posts, read 39,569 times
A few uncommon bad incidents do not reflect the whole picture. You have to be living there and knowing a lot of locals hiring migrant workers and migrant workers to know clearly. I personally know many such people and have visited their homes, could see their situation.

You also won't think it is fair to say asians are greatly discriminated in some western countries. Different people have different experience, postive or negative. For example, there are many westerner men dating asian women in the west as well.

As for long work hours and low wage etc. The workers have to agree beforehand and sign contract. Now there are Cambodian women coming to HK for work, they earn many times more than in Cambodia, in Cambodia, even higher than in Singapore. The average monthly wage is only USD 100 in Cambodia. Many interviewed by the press said they are willing to come and work in HK for the higher salary. Westerners, HK, Singaporeans or Taiwanese may think the salary too low and hours too long. But from the workers' point of view, the job is attractive and they thank the employers for hiring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

People from developing countries of Asia are larger than the people from developed places in overseas asian diaspora. South Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei and Singapore nowadays don't have many people leaving as the economy is good and income is higher or similar than western developed countries. Money is an important factor people are moving from developing countries to developed countries. The Mainland Chinese businessmen move to places like Africa and Island countries in the Pacific, which were not traditional countries Chinese moved to in the past.

Malaysia is closer to Australia than the US, both in the British commonwealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Australia has a good number numbers of Vietnamese, Korean (my wife is one) and the Phillpino immigrants you always get.

Possibly most surprising is the number of Malay people in Australia. In actual numbes we have about 5 times the Malay population of the USA (150,000 vs 30,000). I have no idea why Australia is so popular with them.

Last edited by HSrights; 12-28-2017 at 11:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia