Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,789,075 times

Advertisements

I was watching HGTV last night and the real estate agent mentioned to the American couple looking to buy a home in Japan that it was not common for a Japanese kitchen to include an oven. Just curious - Why is that? Is that also true for other Asian countries?

It must be obvious that Japanese cooking does not involve much baking but I was wondering if that was because there are so few ovens in homes or is it the reverse, because they don't bake, there is no need for ovens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM

510 posts, read 605,889 times
Ovens are rare in most east Asian countries. Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. cuisines do not include many baked items (although many types of baked pastries and breads are super popular in east Asia, few people bake them at home)

Old 12-30-2016, 01:10 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,755,572 times
We live in a modern luxury apartment, and what looks like an oven in our kitchen is actually a dish dryer/disinfector. They are very rare as built in appliances, but countertop, toaster-style ovens are somewhat common.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:25 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,684,946 times
My parents almost never bake anything. If we want baked food we buy.
In old days, the power supplies did not support ovens either.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,632,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I was watching HGTV last night and the real estate agent mentioned to the American couple looking to buy a home in Japan that it was not common for a Japanese kitchen to include an oven. Just curious - Why is that? Is that also true for other Asian countries?

It must be obvious that Japanese cooking does not involve much baking but I was wondering if that was because there are so few ovens in homes or is it the reverse, because they don't bake, there is no need for ovens?
It is not because there are so few of ovens, but rather it is because the typical cooking style in Asia doesn't require an oven.

For example, in Chinese cuisine, most of it is related to sauteing, frying, stewing, where an oven is completely useless. If you give my mother an oven, she wouldn't know what to do with it. Actually she stayed in Canada for 3 months, cooked every day and never used the oven once. I use it occasionally, only to bake pizzas or cakes.

An Asian person can ask the same questions, why typical American kitech doesn't come with a wok.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 PM

14,200 posts, read 11,453,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
An Asian person can ask the same questions, why typical American kitchen doesn't come with a wok.
A typical American kitchen doesn't come with any pots and pans. It is true that if you buy a typical boxed "starter" set, a wok will not be included, but all major manufacturers of kitchenware do make a wok or a wok-like pan.

Such as this: http://www.lecreuset.com/wok

I completely understand that typical Asian cuisine is cooked over an open flame. But even if one doesn't bake breads and pastries, there is an advantage to cooking many meats and other savory dishes in an oven (surrounded by heat), as opposed to merely heating them from the bottom. Westerners have adopted many Asian foods and cooking techniques and they are very popular--maybe Asians would also enjoy learning how to use an oven.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 PM

307 posts, read 291,252 times
You can make pastries in the wok.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,755,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Westerners have adopted many Asian foods and cooking techniques and they are very popular--maybe Asians would also enjoy learning how to use an oven.
A lot of younger Chinese - particularly women - buy toaster ovens to make cakes, bread, and pastries, and experiment with chicken, pizza, etc. it’s kind of a trendy, cute thing to make pastries or bread for coworkers or friends.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 AM

101 posts, read 97,488 times
We usually buy baked food from shops, very few people baked at homes.

Wheat is the staple in Northern China, cooked by a few other methods, not mainly baking in China. Rice is seldom baked, unless deliberately cooking rice in a western way. Baked rice and things like tea mixedwith coffee and milk are common in Hong Kong east meets west fusion type restaurants.

Homes in Asia from Japan to Indonesia should all have electric rice cookers instead of ovens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia