U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,455 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Reputation: 8143

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

As to your question. I have many close contacts in the Iranian-American community. I get plenty of tidbits that the "media-industrial complex" doesn't pass along. Do you think those protestors are out there risking repercussions because things are great?
There are protesters in the USA, too, risking repercussions (I've bailed two of them out of jail). Because they think things are great? Would you ask them for tidbits about what America is really like? Fomenting revolution against the established government is a criminal offense, and many emigrants (not all) are fleeing for their lives. With tidbits for whomever will listen. A huge number of Iranians, possibly a majority, are perfectly contented with Iran's conservative administration. They are not fleeing from the country, so you won't be hearing any tidbits from them.

Let me guess. Your Iranian American "close contacts" mostly are well-trained skilled professionals, who can make ten times as much money in the USA. You think they left for political reasons, and will go running back to embrace the motherland as soon as liberalism is restored??

 
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,340,053 times
Reputation: 2831
They left because they were going to get killed and their wealth looted by that despicable government. You're embarrassing yourself when you compare the protests in Iran to those in any free country.

At least a dozen dead so far.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,307 posts, read 19,585,657 times
Reputation: 13098
I only hope that the Iranian government eventually comes to its senses.

But I've been hoping that for the last few decades.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,340,053 times
Reputation: 2831
The repressive government needs to be toppled. Not only do they have evil and archaic social policies, but they are also seeking nukes. How anybody can defend the current Iranian government is way beyond me.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,021,483 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The repressive government needs to be toppled. Not only do they have evil and archaic social policies, but they are also seeking nukes. How anybody can defend the current Iranian government is way beyond me.
Exactly. Most use Saudi Arabia as an example to justify the West’s hypocrisy towards Iran, but the truth is that both regimes are terrible. Iran is a theocracy like SA and in many ways seeks the same things. The only difference is that they back different sects.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,455 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Reputation: 8143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Exactly. Most use Saudi Arabia as an example to justify the West’s hypocrisy towards Iran, but the truth is that both regimes are terrible. Iran is a theocracy like SA and in many ways seeks the same things. The only difference is that they back different sects.
That is like saying the USA and Ghana can be equated because both are constitutional republics with free enterprise capitalistic economies and founded on Christian ethics, and seek the same things.

There is a huge difference between Iran and KSA in terms of the social acceptability of personal behavior. Iranian men and women are pretty much free to go about their daily affairs, life in the streets is similar to that in any other Islamic country. Not so in Saudi, where a great majority of the families (not the government) still impose severe restriction on the dynamics of their culture.

The King of Saudi Arabia is probably more willing to liberalize, than the Saudis themselves, who are steeped in their own traditional culture and like it that way.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-01-2018 at 05:15 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:20 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,021,483 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That is like saying the USA and Ghana can be equated because both are constitutional republics with free enterprise capitalistic economies and founded on Christian ethics, and seek the same things.

There is a huge difference between Iran and KSA in terms of the social acceptability of personal behavior. Iranian men and women are pretty much free to go about their daily affairs, life in the streets is similar to that in any other Islamic country. Not so in Saudi, where a great majority of the families (not the government) still impose severe restriction on the dynamics of their culture.
The differences are negligible at best. Iran is a little more open, but still practises sexual discrimination in the public sphere. Men and women are segregated in many places and women are barred from attending certain venues. I know an Iranian guy who was hanging out with a girl in a park before he got arrested. He was bailed only when he somehow convinced them that it was sister (it was not).

The reason why Persians have a more modern outlook on life comes from the fact that Persia has a long history that predates the arrival of Islam and a number of them resent their country’s subjugation to that religion.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,112 posts, read 13,972,929 times
Reputation: 7065
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How do you know all this about Iran? Do you have sources independent of the media-industrial complex? Which, as this article exemplifies, reports only news that reflects badly on the Iranian government. Apparently FB, right?

Iranian-Americans are, by definition, expats who have left their country because their government is/was inimical to their personal self-interest. Where do you think their sympathies would lie?

My post is not about Iran nor its protesters. It is about the news media's selection of what to reveal to you, and what to ignore. In this case, they reported a government crackdown on protest, but not the fact that protesters had three days to work freely.




No Americans died for the Vietnamese, either. They died for the interests of American corporate empires, and their access to Vietnamese markets, resources and cheap labor. In other words, they died because they were lied to. Pastor Weems is apparently still alive.
Maybe you can produce some news sources from inside Iran that present an objective view of Iran, complaining about external news medias biased portrayal of Iran, honestly?


Please explain what the international media missed other than your claims of 3 days of supposedly working "freely".
 
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,525 posts, read 3,110,124 times
Reputation: 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I only hope that the Iranian government eventually comes to its senses.

But I've been hoping that for the last few decades.
you cannot compromise with jihadis, mullahs, and the bedouin ways. It is the sword. That is all they understand.

To remove the mullahs, you must hit the money which is most likely the oil. No money means people can't buy food. No food equals revolution. You need create information or propaganda to show that the mullahs are to blame so they can be executed.

Persians needs to cast off the ways of the foreign bedoiun ideology and return Zoroastrianism or godlessness and secularize their republic so Persian women no longer are forced to wear the headscarf.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,455 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Reputation: 8143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe you can produce some news sources from inside Iran that present an objective view of Iran, complaining about external news medias biased portrayal of Iran, honestly?


Please explain what the international media missed other than your claims of 3 days of supposedly working "freely".
Internal news agencies in third world countries rarely present an objective view of their own affairs. America's favorite whipping boys are not unique in that pattern.

I dont know what your point is. A protest that voices an issue and is not countered with violent repression is working freely. We do not know how many of those occur in Iran, that fact is not reported. We only know that one was suppressed, with "newsworthy" outcome, "newsworthy" meaning stoking the approved bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top