U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:09 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,023,221 times
Reputation: 1778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Internal news agencies in third world countries rarely present an objective view of their own affairs. America's favorite whipping boys are not unique in that pattern.

I dont know what your point is. A protest that voices an issue and is not countered with violent repression is working freely. We do not know how many of those occur in Iran, that fact is not reported. We only know that one was suppressed, with "newsworthy" outcome, "newsworthy" meaning stoking the approved bias.
There was a protest back in 2009 that was also quashed. There are a lot of Iranians not happy with the situation back home. Sure you could say that the diaspora represents a minority and you may have a case there, but they also represent the most scholarly segment of their society.

 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Long Island
33,130 posts, read 13,986,163 times
Reputation: 7078
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Internal news agencies in third world countries rarely present an objective view of their own affairs. America's favorite whipping boys are not unique in that pattern.

I dont know what your point is. A protest that voices an issue and is not countered with violent repression is working freely. We do not know how many of those occur in Iran, that fact is not reported. We only know that one was suppressed, with "newsworthy" outcome, "newsworthy" meaning stoking the approved bias.
My point is that since you are critical of the information presented by our media where exactly do you get your information. I'm not sure which way to take your "3rd world" point but there is no free press in Iran.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,341,109 times
Reputation: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Internal news agencies in third world countries rarely present an objective view of their own affairs. America's favorite whipping boys are not unique in that pattern.

I dont know what your point is. A protest that voices an issue and is not countered with violent repression is working freely. We do not know how many of those occur in Iran, that fact is not reported. We only know that one was suppressed, with "newsworthy" outcome, "newsworthy" meaning stoking the approved bias.
One was supressed? The death toll is now up to 23. Is that the Iranian definition of working freely?
 
Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,653 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
One was supressed? The death toll is now up to 23. Is that the Iranian definition of working freely?
Link?

Because I have not heard that 23 number.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,023,221 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Link?

Because I have not heard that 23 number.
Iran protests: Supreme leader Khamenei blames 'enemies' - BBC News

Here you go. It says that there have been 22 confirmed deaths as of now.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,526 posts, read 7,481,467 times
Reputation: 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That is like saying the USA and Ghana can be equated because both are constitutional republics with free enterprise capitalistic economies and founded on Christian ethics, and seek the same things.

There is a huge difference between Iran and KSA in terms of the social acceptability of personal behavior. Iranian men and women are pretty much free to go about their daily affairs, life in the streets is similar to that in any other Islamic country. Not so in Saudi, where a great majority of the families (not the government) still impose severe restriction on the dynamics of their culture.

The King of Saudi Arabia is probably more willing to liberalize, than the Saudis themselves, who are steeped in their own traditional culture and like it that way.
No doubt Saudi Arabia is at least as bad. However they are beginning to reform too, although not near enough. Iran is an extremist nation, one who’s government has placed its violent destructive foreign policy above the needs of its own people, now the people of Iran are calling them on it. Iranians themselves are not religious zealots, nor do they hate the west, and they are quite educated and sophisticated. The fact that this backward government rules over them really is an insult to them and many of them have beeen plotting and waiting for years to try and bring it down. The Islamic republic is an anomaly in thier long Persian history. If not very soon, eventually it will be gone. When this happens we Americans need to forgive the last 40 years and give the Iranians a chance. When that government falls we should restore full diplomatic relations and lift all sanctions and restrictions. If we are not stupid about things Iran could quickly become an important friend to the USA.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,653 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Iran protests: Supreme leader Khamenei blames 'enemies' - BBC News

Here you go. It says that there have been 22 confirmed deaths as of now.
that is a lower number and was updated hours after I made my comment.

point: exaggerations are all over the internet to promote regime change so that Iran is weakened and SA and the US can run the town without Russian opposition.

The Iranians haven't forgotten the US German support of Saddam with chemical weapons use on their young boys.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,023,221 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
that is a lower number and was updated hours after I made my comment.

point: exaggerations are all over the internet to promote regime change so that Iran is weakened and SA and the US can run the town without Russian opposition.

The Iranians haven't forgotten the US German support of Saddam with chemical weapons use on their young boys.
Yet you support Trump, who is probably the most anti-Iranian president and he's said as much during his election campaign (promising to overturn Obama's deal).
 
Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,653 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yet you support Trump, who is probably the most anti-Iranian president and he's said as much during his election campaign (promising to overturn Obama's deal).
Trump is right for America’s sake (much smarter and more straightforward than previous administrations). He is very wise in how he approaches the situation. He is honest with Americafirst.

I’m just saying this will not end well for the Iranian people and others in the west shouldn’t be hypocritical about it.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,979 posts, read 6,296,258 times
Reputation: 12418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Just goes to show you: Iranians are free enough to protest.

The protests have been going on for three days and the western media never thought it was newsworthy until a couple of them were killed. Now, it's "Look what Iran does to protesters"
Were the protesters as threatening as Michael Brown? Did they challenge the authority of a lawful peace officer?

If so they deserved to die. If not, where are the protests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top