U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM

12,327 posts, read 18,437,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Some business and some pleasure. What else should I be concerned about?
Will you be entering on a business visa? If you are there on business in something involving high-tech you can expect to be watched. Basically you can't take a sh*t without someone recording it or making note of it. There will be no privacy as you would expect it. People, including hotel employees that have, shall we say, an additional job, will make note of who you are meeting, when you are leaving, when you are returning, etc. What they do with this info is anyones guess.
If you have a laptop, expect that there will be attempt, including physical attempts while you are out to dinner or something, to put spyware on your computer. All of my coworkers including me always return from china with strange PC viruses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 01:33 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,114 times
FWIW, I'll add my own meager experience. I visited Macao/HK/Zhuhai in January 2016 using an iPhone with AT&T International Plan for internet access. That didn't work very well -- kept losing connectivity to the local cell networks after a minute or so and had to reboot phone to regain access, for another minute or so.

On a previous trip (a few years before) to Bejing, Shanghai, and other parts of China, I found that using Google Maps used up my data allowance really fast. Plus, the annotations on the maps (at that time at least) were only in Chinese script, in which I have very limited literacy ... so the value to me of using GM was minimal.

Next time, I will buy a SIM card at the airport upon arrival, which can give a temporary data plan with enough data allowance at a reasonable price. (I tried that in April of 2016 upon arrival in the UK and it worked perfectly there).

Aside from internet connectivity, I have found the Line app to work quite well for texting, sharing pics and video clips with friends in Asia and the US. Of course, only as long as the internet connection was stable.

Last edited by madrone2k; 01-13-2018 at 01:52 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,114 times
And ... like Dd714, I would operate as if there were no privacy. Better safe than sorry. However, I would operate the same way in the US, at least as far as internet privacy goes.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:55 AM

501 posts, read 462,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
FWIW, I'll add my own meager experience. I visited Macao/HK/Zhuhai in January 2016 using an iPhone with AT&T International Plan for internet access. That didn't work very well -- kept losing connectivity to the local cell networks after a minute or so and had to reboot phone to regain access, for another minute or so.

Aside from internet connectivity, I have found the Line app to work quite well for texting, sharing pics and video clips with friends in Asia and the US. Of course, only as long as the internet connection was stable.
For purposes of this conversation, Macau and HK aren't China. They exist outside the Great Firewall and you should have no problem using any app or website while in these two cities/territories.

Line is currently blocked in China and you'll need a VPN to access it.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,629,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Skype works. Facebook no, Youtube no, Google no. I just used Skype in the hotel internet, speed will vary by hotel but it's usually good enough for Skype. Many of the locals use VPN to get around the Great fireWall of China and some hotels use that as well.

Where are you going in China? If you are going for business, I have further privacy/security instructions/warnings particularly if you work in a hightech field.
VPNs will help one get access to Google and Facebook, but the tradeoff is increased battery power usage - so accessing these on your mobile device with the VPN tends to result in shorter battery life between charges.

A good idea to bring those portable phone chargers - but note Chinese airports will require you to take them out for individual inspection at security checkpoints.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,202,377 times
There is a free google Chrome extension called Touch VPN that is great for free. You can select whatcou try to disguise yourself as. I use it to watch my parents Comcast account in SEA.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM

6,398 posts, read 3,498,244 times
I use NordVPN and am very happy with it. VyprVPN is another option I've tried which works.

I also second getting T-Mobile if that's an option. Free international data at 2G speeds which is sufficient for low-bandwidth things. Free texting. 20 cents per minute worldwide calls, free if you use hotel or other wifi for calls back to the US.

If you use a local SIM make sure you get someone to help you make it work, as it's not just plug and play in my experience. But the rates are reasonable.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:18 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,202,377 times
You can call numbers for free in the US, using a gmail account that originated in the US. It is called Hangouts.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 7,902 times
but it would be easier for you if you have someone with you who can speak Mandarin when you are in China.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM

191 posts, read 133,656 times
I second the VPN thing. Google and Google maps somehow still produce quality search and navigation results within China despite the ban. Other services like Bing or Baidu are a pain in the ass to use in English, or do not produce quality results.

The thing is, not every VPN works. I used the company VPN which worked, but others did not. I would research beforehand what works and what does not.

I would also download Google Translate on your phone and then download the offline Chinese language pack. You should be able to then point to something with your camera and then see translations on the fly. For use google translate from English to Mandarin without the need for internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or