Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Which moment has a historical significance in both Olympic and International history? Computer controlled drones performing the way they were programmed (something that’s been done for several years now) or the two waring nation’s athletes competing together as one unified nation following a civil war that started way back in 1950?
Yeah but that is nothing new really. N. Korea seems to alternative between boycotting and embracing the Olympic games every couple years. They've marched in as one unified Korean country with S. Korea in 2000 and 2004 in opening ceromonies. The difference here is they have a unified hockey team which is pretty cool, and all these cheerleaders which is, well, strange and cool at the same time.

We can only hope this represents a cooling off of tensions in that region but likely it's just one of many meaningless delay tactics that that crazy leader up there does from time to time while he arms up.

Otherwise, the technology was indeed impressive.

Edit, The below gives the reality of the situation involving the North Korea participants:
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...orea-olympics/

Last edited by Dd714; 02-11-2018 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 02:53 PM

361 posts, read 397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
South Korea put out a quite powerful, illuminating ceremony.

But the biggest highlight of it all was the use of 1000+ drones, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTO6ZfUiG98

Yes, totally agree that the drones making the Olympic design was awesome!

The announcer even mentioned that some of the graphics and designs that were shown/visible on the TV screen was not visible to the people/spectators at the venue.

I can't even believe that these snow boarding events are being held in Korea. Looks more like Colorado when I'm watching the events on NBC. That is how good the venues in PyungChang are set up.

PS: I get irked how American announcers mis-pronounce PyungChang.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah I think they did a great job setting the events.

It's sad that so much of South Korea's image is tarnished by politics. It is a relatively small country with lesser geopolitical significance, but it does have some beautiful mountains and quite an impressive winter scenery.

I hope the athletes from all around the world are enjoying the events.
South Korea's image has never been tarnished by politics. It's a modern success story - technologically advanced, prosperous, urban, and sophisticated.
It just happens to have neighborhood problems - namely a tin pot dictator in the North that has decided to nuke up. South Korean citizens don't worry about it ironically, they really don't think too much about it...it's just there as it has been since the 50's. They are too busy making money and bopping to K-pop music.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 AM

116 posts, read 191,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
South Korea's image has never been tarnished by politics. It's a modern success story - technologically advanced, prosperous, urban, and sophisticated.
It just happens to have neighborhood problems - namely a tin pot dictator in the North that has decided to nuke up. South Korean citizens don't worry about it ironically, they really don't think too much about it...it's just there as it has been since the 50's. They are too busy making money and bopping to K-pop music.

Ha, fair point.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
PS: I get irked how American announcers mis-pronounce PyungChang.
I'm not Korean, but even I know that the vowel sound in the second syllable is "ah," like what you say when the doctor puts the tongue depressor in your mouth. It's not the sound like that of "clang," which is what the announcers keep saying.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not Korean, but even I know that the vowel sound in the second syllable is "ah," like what you say when the doctor puts the tongue depressor in your mouth. It's not the sound like that of "clang," which is what the announcers keep saying.
We have to endure under NBC's coverage and the ridiculous banter of there reporting team, which includes:
-Lester Holt's falling for the obviously fake and staged visit to a North Korea Ski Lodge (complete with staged skiers).
-NBC announcer who praised Japan's role in the development of Korea (gee, that's not exactly how I would describe an invasion, occupation, and mass murder of the people of Korea in WW2). That angered many Korean's, heard the dude got fired for that one.
-Resident NBC airhead Katie Couric who claimed that the Dutch were so good at skating because they skate down the frozen canals of Amsterdam during winter time. That one gave me a chuckle and I am sure many Dutch were shaking there heads in wonder. Frozen? They are lucky to get a dusting of snow in winter time.
-And of course the praising and fawning over our favorite murdering regime head's sister as the Star of the Olympics, North Korea's namely titled "Head of Propaganda and Agitation". They conveniently neglect to mention if those 200 N. Korea cheerleaders that joined her crew stop cheering, lil Sis will have them executed.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think they did a great job setting the events.

It's sad that so much of South Korea's image is tarnished by politics. It is a relatively small country with lesser geopolitical significance, but it does have some beautiful mountains and quite an impressive winter scenery.
Yeah, South Korea is heavily tarnished not just by politics, but also by Western people's ignorance of Korea.

There was even some kind of show on a national news here in the US, where a news person was asking random people/passerby in New York City where the 2018 Winter Olympic was going to be held at. Many of the people who were interviewed on camera did not know the venue of the 2018 Winter Olympic. Then when the news person pointed out to certain people that the Winter Olympic was going to be held in PyungChang, these random people in the US thought that PyungChang was someplace in China. Doh!
See, your typical American thinks only of "Japan" and "China" when hearing about East Asian nations. Korea is often left out of the loop.

Some ignorant and racist westerners also equate "dog-eating" and 'cruelty' to the negative image of South Korea. Yes, South Korea used to eat dog meat. But it's our culture. Now a days.....not too many people in South Korea eat dog meat or Po-shing-tang. I find it hilarious that Western people moreso the folks here in the US point out dog meat eating as cruelty. There are certain parts of the US where people in squirrels, cats, alligators. Have these same westerners even been to a slaughter house? have they seen the cruelty that cows, pigs, chickens suffer in their caged area before being killed for meat being sold in the US supermarkets?

Quote:
I hope the athletes from all around the world are enjoying the events.
^^ Amen!!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I know. It's so irking hearing NBC announcers pronouncing PyungChang as "Pyohngchang" with the "clang" pronunciation of "chang."

Again, i don't trust a lot about what comes out of the rectal mouth of these NBC announcers.

Just like that ignorant Hispanic announcer, ramos, who said that Koreans should appreciate Japan for technology and advancement.

Had Japan advanced past the Hawaiian islands and invaded the US mainland, and set up Unit 731 and raped a lot of American women and grandma's, I highly doubt there were be a lot of positive comments of Japan coming from your typical white western male.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:32 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I know. It's so irking hearing NBC announcers pronouncing PyungChang as "Pyohngchang" with the "clang" pronunciation of "chang.".
I can forgive them for messing up the first syllable of 평창 (Pyeongchang). After the P, the rest of it is very close to the sound of the English word “young” (at least I think it is), but I can see thinking that it’s a heavier “O” sound. But the second syllable . . . ugh! The vowel ㅏ sounds a lot like “ah.” How hard would it be for the announcers to learn that?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM

116 posts, read 191,823 times
Quote:
I can forgive them for messing up the first syllable of 평창 (Pyeongchang). After the P, the rest of it is very close to the sound of the English word “young” (at least I think it is), but I can see thinking that it’s a heavier “O” sound. But the second syllable . . . ugh! The vowel ㅏ sounds a lot like “ah.” How hard would it be for the announcers to learn that?
^ Yeah it sucks that many announcers can't pronounce it correctly but it's to be expected with many of the Sino-Korean names that have a rather difficult pronunciation. Native Korean words are relatively easier to pronounce, but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia