U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM

189 posts, read 255,775 times

Advertisements

How developed is Phnom Penh compared to say KL or Singapore?

Would you recommend visiting Phnom Penh for tourism purposes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:21 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post

Tons and tons of tourists visit Phnom Penh. I've been there as well. There is an entire Lonely Planet guide for Cambodia, etc.

Not anywhere remotely developed as Singapore or KL....but fully developed isn't a requirement for tourism.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:30 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Phnom Penh is definitely worth visiting for a few days. It is not necessarily for the faint at heart as you will see people including young children with missing limbs (mine detonations). You also have to go to the Killing fields and Tuol Sleng genocide museum to get an appreciation for how much the Pol Pot regime impacted the nation which they are still reeling from to this day.

It isn't nearly as developed as Singapore or KL but things are slowly changing. That said the people are wonderful and extremely friendly. take a boat ride on the Mekong if you can. A trip to Siem Reap and visiting Angkor Wat and other ancient Khmer cities around Angkor is an absolute must!

Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,160,721 times
You also have to go to the Killing fields and Tuol Sleng genocide museum to get an appreciation for how much the Pol Pot regime impacted the nation which they are still reeling from to this day.

I don't want to visit a country whre there is a "genocide museum". I want to enjoy my travel, not carry the whole weight of man's inhumanity to man on my shoulders.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM

40 posts, read 29,822 times
The Chinese have changed Sihanoukeville for the worse, and are making a big impact on PP. Siam Reap is overrun with Disney type tourists, and is a complete trap, as most UNESCO sites are. Beer is colder and better than Thailand, but sanitation is far behind and so is medical care. If you see the Khmer doing anything except shuffling their feet, it is because they have just stolen something.
Online visa system is excellent. Many of the expats are there primarily because they are non-grata in Thailand.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
You also have to go to the Killing fields and Tuol Sleng genocide museum to get an appreciation for how much the Pol Pot regime impacted the nation which they are still reeling from to this day.

I don't want to visit a country whre there is a "genocide museum". I want to enjoy my travel, not carry the whole weight of man's inhumanity to man on my shoulders.
Ok well that is your right but some people want to learn about the history and get a greater appreciation for events and especially recent events that impact a whole nation. I personally found it a humbling experience and to experience that with some locals is something i'll never forget. There are other options in Cambodia just to relax and chill and I did those too.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientianevinny View Post
The Chinese have changed Sihanoukeville for the worse, and are making a big impact on PP. Siam Reap is overrun with Disney type tourists, and is a complete trap, as most UNESCO sites are. Beer is colder and better than Thailand, but sanitation is far behind and so is medical care. If you see the Khmer doing anything except shuffling their feet, it is because they have just stolen something.
Online visa system is excellent. Many of the expats are there primarily because they are non-grata in Thailand.
Disney type tourists exploring the ruins of Angkor Wat and Bayon. Ok...

Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM

482 posts, read 192,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post

KL and Singapore in any respect far compared to phnom penh , I've been to Phnom Penh, ho chi minh and city which is still far below Singapore,KL even Jakarta. except Bangkok similiar KL and Jakarta ,btw the people in there very similar to indonesians talking about food and language of course different

Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM

371 posts, read 284,877 times
I have never been to Phnom Penh, but have been to big cities in SE Asia.

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are as developed as the two closest big cities to my home, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Bangkok and Manila are probably more developed than Phnom Penh, but a better comparison.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:55 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,093,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Disney type tourists exploring the ruins of Angkor Wat and Bayon. Ok...
I don't think that Vientianevinny literally meant obese midwesterners and British tourists. I think it was the sense of daytrippers/weekenders flying into and out of Angkor from somewhere like Bangkok ticking off a bucket-list box rather than going to appreciate the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or