U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM

48 posts, read 68,042 times

Advertisements

Has there been anymore laglag bala incidents in the Manila airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM

6,641 posts, read 3,686,521 times
As I understand it their Customs agents were scared straight when President Duterte took over

Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As I understand it their Customs agents were scared straight when President Duterte took over
I am talking about prosecution. Not scaring them.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:58 PM

6,641 posts, read 3,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
I am talking about prosecution. Not scaring them.
Well they would have had to keep trying when the new administration came in to test the theory. I guess the reputation of a vigilante killer coming into office overwhelmed the desire to try to get a few pesos out of foreigners

Old 01-25-2018, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 7,940 times
Quote:
None as they are all afraid of Duterte!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdeck View Post
None as they are all afraid of Duterte!
Thanks.

Were the perpetrators ever prosecuted?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 AM

361 posts, read 231,209 times
Quote:
Can you, or somebody explain to me what a "laglag bala" incident is, at the airport? I'm guessing this is specifically at the NAIA airport?

I travelled there back in January, and I had no issues with any sneaky locals at the airport.

However, I'm set to re-visit my GF in mid-May.

I don't want any sneaky locals trying to pick pocket me, or try to carry my luggages for money, at the airport.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,101,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Can you, or somebody explain to me what a "laglag bala" incident is, at the airport? I'm guessing this is specifically at the NAIA airport?

I travelled there back in January, and I had no issues with any sneaky locals at the airport.

However, I'm set to re-visit my GF in mid-May.

I don't want any sneaky locals trying to pick pocket me, or try to carry my luggages for money, at the airport.
it means corrupt airport policemen will plant ammo in your luggage/they will find ammo in your luggage once it passes the x-ray machine.

then they will extort money from you. if you don't want to miss your flight, then you pay up.

that's their modus operandi

I think they got scared when DU30 took over. lately, DU30 sacked the baggage handlers because some luggages are opened and items are stolen.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 PM

361 posts, read 231,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
it means corrupt airport policemen will plant ammo in your luggage/they will find ammo in your luggage once it passes the x-ray machine.
Maybe the layout of the airport was different back then where police officers can plant ammo's and other crap in passengers' bags/luggage.

However, when I departed NAIA three weeks ago from terminal 1, the X-ray machine was nearby the entrance to the entire 2nd floor. There is a long line that starts from the X-ray machine and extends to the drop off area.

I don't see how any policeman or heck, anybody can plant anything in a passenger's bag.

After the X-ray machine checkpoint, the passengers just go straight to the counter where the respective airline company is located at.

Quote:
then they will extort money from you. if you don't want to miss your flight, then you pay up.

that's their modus operandi
Dang! Sound like corrupt police officers in Mexico!

Quote:
I think they got scared when DU30 took over. lately, DU30 sacked the baggage handlers because some luggages are opened and items are stolen.
Oh, bag handlers! Now they are a different story.

I did not have any issues with my check in luggage when departing NAIA.

However, there have been incidents in the past HERE in the US where TSA officers would steal wine bottles and other valuables from tourist check in bags in HI. Terrible.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,101,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

I don't see how any policeman or heck, anybody can plant anything in a passenger's bag.
they don't necessarily plant the bullets. if they targeted you for extortion, the xray technician will "call" the attention of his supervisor that there is something suspicious in you luggage. then they separate that luggage and open it and that's where the magic comes in.

been going back every other year and never encountered such unscrupulous cops nor lost something on my luggage. but then I make sure that there is nothing valuable in my check in luggage except clothes
if I have valuables, I put it in my carry on bag. and the most valuable I ever carried are laptops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or