U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,201,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Wife's a Singaporean and this is always a big topic of conversation in her home country. Every once in a while there's a media story about immigrant Chinese mainlanders and their bad habits. Appears some of them have an affinity to relieve themselves when nature calls in public places.
They have been seen taking a dump in the tourist areas if Chiang Mai. They say the toddlers have a trap door that is routinely emptied in a gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Not long ago, I saw this "social experiment" posted on Facebook. It showed a guy in the middle of the city in Taiwan (I believe it was in Taichung, Taiwan); China- I forget which city- but it was a large city, as I recall; Hong Kong; and Macau. In each of these cities, he would be carrying a bag of oranges/fruits and made it look like he accidentally dropped the bag and a bunch of oranges would roll down. Almost all the strangers by him in Taiwan, stopped to help him out; In Hong Kong and Macau, maybe 7-8 out of 10 people would help him out when he dropped the oranges. When he did the same thing in China, just about nobody helped him out-they all just walked around him and the oranges. I do not know if this experiment is a fair on or not- potentially some can poke holes at it. But, it appears they will illustrating the differences in people in these places on helping out a complete stranger.
That video was really funny lol.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 AM

597 posts, read 353,675 times
Give them a break. I have seen some appallingly mannered Aussies Russians and dare I say, Americans strutting around overseas. All of whom should know better.

We first went to China in 1988 and have returned several times, most recently last May. The change in China is extraordinary. This time we were on a river cruise with the large majority of guests being Chinese. The first night we watched in amusement while they mobbed the buffet. After they realised that the food would not run out, they settled down and were fine. These were people of the age who literally were starving years ago and gosh they enjoyed themselves on this cruise. We had Chinese in the next cabin and the last night they were noisy on the verandah and I wondered how much sleep we would get. As soon as we turned off the lights all noise ceased. At no time did their behaviour impact on our enjoyment of our whole trip.

As our guide said, yes there are things to be learnt and we (the Chinese) are learning quickly.
We saw people standing in queues. The airports have improved out of sight. Smoking is on the way down.

The worst mannered people tourists we have encountered were South American.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 AM

949 posts, read 613,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Just read a comment about Chinese mainlanders (Chinese from China) and their poor manners in another thread and it gave me an idea to start a thread to talk about this specific topic.

It it common to hear about the rude and bad manners of mainland Chinese. I do see it myself. Unlike their non-mainland Chinese brethren, e.g. Chinese in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore and other overseas Chinese in other parts of Asia, they seem to have lost all their Confucius morals and guidance.

Was this a result of the Cultural Revolution? Did Mao and his Red Guards wiped out all their traditional beliefs and mannerism in just one generation? Is this also because of the one-child policy, where the only child was spoiled?
I think the Cultural Revolution played a role, by eliminating so many educated people and the societal norms common in an educated, civil society, when it sought to recreate the agrarian utopia.

Consequently, many of the older Chinese today were raised by parents who had grown up in more "primitive" conditions, with the accompanying social norms.

Additionally, the Cultural Revolution and its negative effects of famine/poverty, amplified the base human trait of survival of the fittest, which includes the intense focus on oneself and one's immediate family, in order to get those things needed for survival. Thus the pushing and shoving to ensure a spot somewhere, or to be in front of the line to get something. This is worsened by having such a large population as more people are fighting for less resources. The one child policy makes only a small dent in total population because its effects are very gradual over time and contingent of being continuous (which it is not, now).

But I believe it is slowly changing, as China transforms economically, and culturally in these globalized social media-driven times. More travel abroad exposes more Chinese to developed countries social norms and etiquette, more eduction of the peasant masses (recall an anti-spitting campaign by the government), more peasants are moving to larger cities in search of jobs, and thus are gradually being exposed to norms practiced by more educated, urbane population.

Anecdotally, I noticed more manners displayed by younger, educated Chinese, and less by peasant migrants of all ages. The manners or lack thereof were not tied to intent, i.e. the Chinese lacking in what are commonly expected Western manners did not do so out of meanness, but ignorance.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 AM

It does make one wonder if that just don't know better, but they seem to be very u aware of their surroundings..which is part inconsiderate. Like the way they travel in packs on a 12 foot wide sidewalk, and won't yield to someone who needs about two feet to get by. Had a guy bounce hard off me a few weeks ago...there was just no place for me to go...welcome to the NFL..LOL. And they will congregate on very busy street corners and block crossings, which creates danger, by standing there fiddling with their phones and cameras. Imagine yourself in the middle of the road, and you can't get out of it because there is a group loitering on the other side. It can make you aggressive.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:32 AM

2,072 posts, read 862,380 times
Sorry, I am not well travel as some of the posters. All that spitting and urinating in public sounds awful. Why does someone need to be spitting constantly. How does it effect the health of the population of those countries.

A neighbor of my parents are from Taiwan. They used to go back once a year or so to visit parents and relatives. About 10 years ago, maybe more he ended up with Tb. The health department was monitoring him and his wife (they have adult children born is US) and he was visited often, weekly, by a public health nurse. They even went to his work place to administer medication at times. I don't know if it was drug resistant TB. I guess I was kind of shocked if the TB was so viralent he was able to work around other people. He died this year because of complications of TB, his wife also has it, don't know about his children. They told my parents they think they cauiit on one of his trips to Taiwan.

Has Taiwan and China had high incidents of TB, are they getting it under control.

That is some scary stuff.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 AM

116 posts, read 64,116 times
I thought China's gotten a lot better lately? (especially in major cities like Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing)? Do people still spit in public and take a dump on the street? I just can't imagine people doing that in a city full of tall skyscrapers and modern amenities.

Having said that, I live in a major U.S. city where I see a lot of international students from Asia, and while the Chinese girls are often very clean and fashionably dressed, the Chinese guys often don't wash(?) their hair or their clothes. No offense. I wonder if this is due to some Chinese belief that if you wash yourself too often, you lose your fortune or something like that. At least that's what one Chinese guy told me.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 AM

949 posts, read 613,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
It does make one wonder if that just don't know better, but they seem to be very u aware of their surroundings..which is part inconsiderate. Like the way they travel in packs on a 12 foot wide sidewalk, and won't yield to someone who needs about two feet to get by. Had a guy bounce hard off me a few weeks ago...there was just no place for me to go...welcome to the NFL..LOL. And they will congregate on very busy street corners and block crossings, which creates danger, by standing there fiddling with their phones and cameras. Imagine yourself in the middle of the road, and you can't get out of it because there is a group loitering on the other side. It can make you aggressive.
Sorry to hear that. Increased self-absorption and selfishness in public environment (roads, street, public spaces) seems to be more common now in all modern societies. I partly blame social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Sorry, I am not well travel as some of the posters. All that spitting and urinating in public sounds awful. Why does someone need to be spitting constantly. How does it effect the health of the population of those countries.

A neighbor of my parents are from Taiwan. They used to go back once a year or so to visit parents and relatives. About 10 years ago, maybe more he ended up with Tb. The health department was monitoring him and his wife (they have adult children born is US) and he was visited often, weekly, by a public health nurse. They even went to his work place to administer medication at times. I don't know if it was drug resistant TB. I guess I was kind of shocked if the TB was so viralent he was able to work around other people. He died this year because of complications of TB, his wife also has it, don't know about his children. They told my parents they think they cauiit on one of his trips to Taiwan.

Has Taiwan and China had high incidents of TB, are they getting it under control.

That is some scary stuff.
The spitting may be due to the high usage of coal as a fuel source, and other particulate-releasing pollutants from factories. And smoking. These result in continual phlegm formation, which people will expel by spitting. For the uneducated, that will occur whenever and wherever. I believe the main reason China had an aggressive anti-spitting campaign was due to that very concern for public health: preventing the transmission of diseases such as TB by rampant spitting in public spaces.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM

9,780 posts, read 13,368,018 times
It’s definitely better in the urban areas, and generally better with either older folks (60/70+) or people in their 30’s or younger, in my experience. There are plenty of exceptions, of course... the spoiled little princes are terrible, and there are older folks who take advantage of the filial piety and push and shove their way around or say really unpleasant stuff because generally people will let them get away with it.

It is improving.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Agree on the little prince thing. They will commonly let their one kid scream at the top of his lungs in a public place,..just to do it...but you see that with white kids in the States, too. It is bad discipline and also inconsiderate of others..sometimes I think they are daring you to be the bad guy and ask them to quiet down. One reason I will never again live in an HOA.

Oh, and I have seen families come into beer bars serving food, which isn't even family oriented, and let their little devil stand on the table. Others have said they will also use food court tables to change diapers..in very upscale malls, that most certainly have changing rooms. But again, seen american women do the same at the airport gate, with a fully equipped restroom forty feet away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or