U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,627,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
I know if you urinated publicly in NYC, you will get a fine of $50 or jailed time if caught. It is considered a misdemeanor crime or lewdness depending on how the judge view it. Not sure in Paris, I think you might have to pay a lot of money for that.
And NYC has probably the worst availability of public toilets (that aren't in businesses) of any major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM

345 posts, read 155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Lol. My first time I went to China about 6 years ago I got urinated on in a public street, that was day 2 of my life in China, or my first full day actually.

The cultural revolution obviously had some sort of effect on the minds and practices of the people. I hate to call a people group uncivilized, but Chinese over the age of 40 are about the most uncivilized people in the world I have ever met. I do see a major cultural change happening in China between the different generational groups and it’s all good progress. It’s fairly rare to see a young Chinese person urinate in public or have their kids urinate in public, or spitting in public( I’ve been nearly spitted on more times then I care to count) or for them to walk up to me (a foreigner) and say something absolutely ridiculous. But for every bad thing about the lost generation, there is a good thing. They are absolutely the most generous, appreciative, and kind people I have ever met, it just takes time getting used to their habits. China has some major hurdles to overcome, but I have an optimistic view on their future.
Kids urinating in public was a big problem when Shanghai Disney opened last year. And we did see kids urinating in local markets (yuck) in Beijing last year. And lots of spitting but honestly did not check to see if it was a young or old person.

We also saw kids in strollers with the crotch of their pants cut out and no underwear or diapers on. I'm sure they were doing their business wherever they had the urge.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
Kids urinating in public was a big problem when Shanghai Disney opened last year. And we did see kids urinating in local markets (yuck) in Beijing last year. And lots of spitting but honestly did not check to see if it was a young or old person.

We also saw kids in strollers with the crotch of their pants cut out and no underwear or diapers on. I'm sure they were doing their business wherever they had the urge.
Sorry, let me be more specific. I meant youth as in between say 14 and 35 years of age. I didn’t mean little kids. I hate those “diapers” with slots cut out so children can urinate or deficate anywhere. But I do see less of the younger generations using those types of diapers for their children. None of my Chinese friends use them on their kids. I think it’s mostly the very poor, rural, and elderly that continue to encourage that behavior.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM

597 posts, read 353,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
So the Hilton head analogy was right on the Yuan. Husband goes on golf tours...great, but hardly a taste of commoner culture, and by your own admission, you traveled in a tour group catering to westerners. Shanghai is almost not mainland, except it is.
I sometimes just jump on a public bus for 20 cents in Bangkok and ride, sightsee, meet and chat with working class, bring a beer or two with me. If I need to void, I just get off the bus (and find a restroom), and get on another one. They all eventually go to a transit hub, or back to where you boarded. Tour busses go to restaurants with bus parking, at best case, and anyplace that will give them a kickback is frequent. Avoid, unless you are a complete newbie. Most of these cities have high learning curves. By the third time, they will act like they know you at the mini market, if you exhibit any personality, at all, even in Laos.
I thought the thread is about China, not Thailand, Laos and Korea?

All I am reporting is my view of the manners of the Chinese compared to how I have found them on several trips over the years.

We have travelled there independently and on tours. When on tours we spend a lot of time doing things independently. You may wish to discount my experience of Shanghai but we have also been to Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Kunming, Harbin,etc. etc It is a huge country so everyone may have a different experience.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
That's called open-crotch pants and almost ALL Chinese toddlers wore that in old days. However usually such kids are kept at home or in the countryside. They are not supposed to walk around on the streets.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:29 PM

661 posts, read 586,695 times
Mannerism are MUCH MUCH better then say 10, 15 or 20 years ago, and China and its people continue to develop rapidly, albeit they do have a ways to go to catch up to certain Western developed countries.

Also, I'll take the spitting and ignorance of dealing with Mainlanders over the violent and unsafe city streets of the U.S. any day of the week. Try walking around at night in certain boroughs of NYC, or try Cleveland, Baltimore, North Philly, Detroit, Downtown LA and the list goes on and on.

I saw a guy take a dump while waiting for a subway train in Manhattan last Christmas.

I also witness tons of freaks and scary looking dudes on the Path train from Hoboken/Jersey City to NYC. Ever ride the subway or take public transportation in LA?

Spitting and Chinese kids pissing on the sidewalk doesn't sound so bad to me honestly.

People tend to highlight the negatives with each country/city or group of people.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,582,045 times
I still remember that Time Magazine comic depicting the three primary Chinese tourist stereotypes - Talking as loudly as a megaphone, chain-smoking, and spitting everywhere!

The younger mainlanders I've met so far tend NOT to fit those tropes! It'll probably get better in the coming decades as their travel market starts to mature!

Old 01-29-2018, 07:05 AM

949 posts, read 613,535 times
Is public urination and defecation, mostly by babies and toddlers, more an issue of lack of manners, or ignorance and maintenance of traditional practices? I can see how the open crotch concept developed in a place and time where diapers were not culturally used. If practiced in low density areas like the countryside, it is probably better for the environment and the child, who did not have to stew in their bodily waste.

I think folks bringing that practice into modern cities, and public areas such as Disney, do so mostly out of ignorance and habit. Remember China has a very large number of nouveau riche who within their lifetime rose from poor, uneducated rural folks to rich, uneducated rural or city folks. And old habits die hard.

Again, public education via a mass public health campaign may help, as would community centered educational drives. But I imagine if a lot of these rural folks are very poor (and many are), expecting them to use modern disposal diapers is not financially feasible.

Adults publicly urinating is a different matter. This also occurs frequently in modern Western countries, despite laws against it. Having laws is one thing, properly enforcing the laws are another matter. Just look around during rowdy tailgate parties at many sporting events, or areas around bars, nightclubs, and large music events after closing time, or parks and public areas frequented by many homeless. Sights and smell of people publicly urinating, and sometimes, defecating can be found.

Unless China actively and harshly enforces laws against public urination and defecation by kids and adults, it will not effectively end the problem just by enacting laws. Education and offering the people better alternatives to the kid's diaper issue would be more effective in such a vast country, still dominated by so many rural and poor people, who continue in traditional practices not suited in modern cities.

I think bad manners in general, seem more magnified in China, due to its relatively sudden melding of rural and urban, uneducated and educated, very poor and very rich. When this is added to the fact that China has a disproportionately large number of Little Emperors and Little Empresses due to its one-child policy, and one can find examples of bad manners exhibited more frequently there than elsewhere.

In looking around many of China's rapidly growing, modern cities, one can say that China is ahead in its hardware (infrastructure), but lagging in its software (people).

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM

735 posts, read 452,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahhhh yes the Chinese and spitting. Confucius say when taking taxi in China, never sit behind driver! Take the opposite seat. About once every few minutes a taxi driver will roll down the window and hawk up a loogie and let it go....he doesn't always make it out the window. I learned that quick during my travels.
China also has a high rate of tuberculosis infection. It is an armpit country. I would never go there.

My scientist friends in Australia are always complaining about the Chinese tourist mobs that go to the national parks, litter and throw rocks from the bridges at the platypusses, or platypie whatever the plural is.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 01-29-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 12:56 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
China also has a high rate of tuberculosis infection. It is an armpit country. I would never go there.

My scientist friends in Australia are always complaining about the Chinese tourist mobs that go to the national parks, litter and throw rocks from the bridges at the platypusses, or platypie whatever the plural is.
TB infection rate of China is not particularly high, lower than in some eastern European countries, and much lower than the average of "developing countries.

I sincerely hope you never come to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or