Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
China also has a high rate of tuberculosis infection. It is an armpit country. I would never go there.

My scientist friends in Australia are always complaining about the Chinese tourist mobs that go to the national parks, litter and throw rocks from the bridges at the platypusses, or platypie whatever the plural is.
They are exaggerating. There are only a few places where you can see platypuses in the wild as they are so shy. One is a quite isolated park in the foothills of central Queensland behind Mackay and I would be surprised if many tour groups go there.bwe live near the oldest National Park in the country. It gets packed out but as much as with some of our local ethnic groups who like to have big picnics there.

The worst littering comes from the European backpackers over the Christmas period who celebrate in our Sydney parks and leave them a pigsty.

All I can say is that I feel much safer travelling in China than in many other places and I will not hesitate to return and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM

277 posts, read 191,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No nothing to do with Mao or one-child policy.

I look at it more like this:
China has undergone tremendous technological changes and prosperity in the last decade or so. You had a society and culture that has shifted almost overnight from riding bicycles and living in tin shacks and outdoor toilets and no money - to driving BMWs and living in modern high rises and having disposable income. China is a country of Beverly Hillbillies trying to adapt to life in modern L.A. They are the Clampetts, still struggling to adapt, that includes not understanding modern mannerisms - you mean my children shouldn't poop out in public on a sidewalk? You mean we are expected to stand in line waiting for the subway without pushing and shoving? It's all new to them.
I disagree, it's terrible was is happening to the Chinese people. Wealth has little to nothing to do with it.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
They are exaggerating. There are only a few places where you can see platypuses in the wild as they are so shy. One is a quite isolated park in the foothills of central Queensland behind Mackay and I would be surprised if many tour groups go there.bwe live near the oldest National Park in the country. It gets packed out but as much as with some of our local ethnic groups who like to have big picnics there.

The worst littering comes from the European backpackers over the Christmas period who celebrate in our Sydney parks and leave them a pigsty.

All I can say is that I feel much safer travelling in China than in many other places and I will not hesitate to return and enjoy it.
Yes in fact most Chinese cities are quite clean, definitely cleaner than equally crowded areas of big American cities. But you can never convince those biased people so I don't bother telling them the truth any more.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM

731 posts, read 678,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

The scientists are not exaggerating. We know that platypus is very rare and shy, and breeding pairs even more so. The Chinese tourists are throwing rocks at them, as well as litter and cans. The Chinese are not big on nature in general.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM

344 posts, read 244,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Sorry, let me be more specific. I meant youth as in between say 14 and 35 years of age. I didn’t mean little kids. I hate those “diapers” with slots cut out so children can urinate or deficate anywhere. But I do see less of the younger generations using those types of diapers for their children. None of my Chinese friends use them on their kids. I think it’s mostly the very poor, rural, and elderly that continue to encourage that behavior.
You did say It’s fairly rare to see a young Chinese person urinate in public or have their kids urinate in public, so those 30-35 year olds could have kids that urinate in public. The clothes I saw were definitely not diapers. Those kids were completely exposed in their strollers. Looked like they were big onesies. And considering the places we were I don't believe those were very poor or rural. In any case, just sharing my own experiences. And in all fairness I am sure those behaviors will eventually weed themselves out eventually.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
That's called open-crotch pants and almost ALL Chinese toddlers wore that in old days. However usually such kids are kept at home or in the countryside. They are not supposed to walk around on the streets.
They were in major markets/cities, definitely not the countryside. So they don't wear underwear or diapers? Just curious. We saw kids in strollers just letting it all hang out.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes in fact most Chinese cities are quite clean, definitely cleaner than equally crowded areas of big American cities. But you can never convince those biased people so I don't bother telling them the truth any more.
I agree with this 100%! I ALWAYS notice how clean a new city/country is when traveling and I was very surprised how clean major cities in China are considering how many people live/work there.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
The scientists are not exaggerating. We know that platypus is very rare and shy, and breeding pairs even more so. The Chinese tourists are throwing rocks at them, as well as litter and cans. The Chinese are not big on nature in general.
Where specifically do they do this? It would be interesting to know as I have never heard of it being reported here.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
You did say It’s fairly rare to see a young Chinese person urinate in public or have their kids urinate in public, so those 30-35 year olds could have kids that urinate in public. The clothes I saw were definitely not diapers. Those kids were completely exposed in their strollers. Looked like they were big onesies. And considering the places we were I don't believe those were very poor or rural. In any case, just sharing my own experiences. And in all fairness I am sure those behaviors will eventually weed themselves out eventually.
Our guides told us that they are designed specifically for toilet training. I did not notice them, not to say that they are not common. We actually did not see many kids in our time there. They mostly have only one.

I now feel guilty for letting my two year old, just toilet trained, grandson urinate against a tree in the park a couple of times. When I had insisted on walking him home he had wet himself on the way.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Watch your words. Not "the Chinese tourists blah blah", the worst case scenario is "SOME Chinese tourists..."
Also you "heard it from friends", so it is just hearsay. We can never verify it.

Don't define "the Chinese in general" when you know nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia