U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Air Pollution in USA: Real-time Air Quality Index Visual Map

A number of Cali cities are over 150 today
Not sure how we got into the topic of L.A. air pollution but Los Angeles has some specific unique geographical challenges - namely being surrounded on 3 sides with mountains that not only trap in the air but cause thermal inversions which pushes this smog close to the ground. Add that to a large city and you have smog problems that exaggerate and accentuate the amount of pollution actually produced. Not as bad as say 20 or 30 years ago however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM

4,874 posts, read 3,387,859 times
At 61 and moderate today. Good old coastal zone San Diego.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
First visited China 30 years ago, and many times since then. Correlation between bad manners and pollution is probably minimal. The Cultural Revolution probably played a larger part. Every student were probably taught to be patriotic and nothing else. Everything else such as traditional Chinese/Confucian values, religion, respect for others were thrown out the window during that time.

Many badly behaved people are the uneducated, the peasants and the nouveau riche. While it has improved a lot as China prospers rapidly, one cannot teach dogs new tricks. It's unthinkable before that anyone who can easily spend more than US$300 for a family visit to Hong Kong Disneyland can be so uncouth to allow their kids to take a dump just about anywhere. While only one visitor did it after over ten million mainland Chinese visitors, it made the news and is still talked about now, as it shouldn't have happened at all.

Pushing and shoving, speaking too loudly, and complaining/arguing over the most trivial matters are still commonplace though. One can witness this in subways, in train stations, in crowded tourist attractions, etc. Both within China and outside of it. The most common places where one can see is Hong Kong and Taiwan, followed by Thailand, South Korea and Japan. Aside from Thailand, all these places are also subject to their governments' friendliness level with the Beijing government. The more friendly their governments are with Beijing, the more Chinese tourists there are, and the worse the crowd becomes.

Spitting is still common in places frequented by peasants and factory workers. While the train stations servicing only high-speed trains are relatively clean, the ones that also serve local trains have people spitting indoors and very smelly restrooms. Also, not sure if behavior is due to Cultural Revolution, but I really have no problems of nudity. If you shower there nude in full view, that's fine with me. But if one takes a dump in a squat toilet, please close the door (if there's a door!). I really find it very disgusting to see or be seen that way.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM

661 posts, read 584,354 times
Or perhaps they're people from the countryside living in the big city and don't know any better. Plus I'm sure they see diapers as expensive and not necessarily needed. Why pay for diapers when the child can **** or sh*t on the side of the curb, like they do in the countryside.

You don't see the cut out pants for little infants that often anymore however.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Also, not sure if behavior is due to Cultural Revolution, but I really have no problems of nudity. If you shower there nude in full view, that's fine with me. But if one takes a dump in a squat toilet, please close the door (if there's a door!). I really find it very disgusting to see or be seen that way.
I haven't noticed open showers in front view?

But I have noticed the public toilets without walls. I recall some of my first times in China...early 2000s, where I'd enter a public restaurant, and see people ****ting without doors. I wonder how much of that still exists.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 AM

5,601 posts, read 2,910,496 times
Quote:
Or perhaps they're people from the countryside living in the big city and don't know any better. Plus I'm sure they see diapers as expensive and not necessarily needed. Why pay for diapers when the child can **** or sh*t on the side of the curb, like they do in the countryside.

You don't see the cut out pants for little infants that often anymore however.
This might ultimately be better for the environment. Imagine billions and billions of plastic diapers and their packaging ending up in landfills. Also all the energy used to manufacture, transport those endless billions of diapers.

Ironically, by being behind the times, so to speak, China is actually ahead of the West in being friendlier to the environment.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 AM

661 posts, read 584,354 times
Maybe for the soil in the ground, but I wouldn't say China is "Friendlier" to the environment compared to the West. They're just playing catch up from past damages they've made.

The air quality is still pretty bad, esp Shanghai and north of there, as is almost every body of water in China.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 AM

5,601 posts, read 2,910,496 times
Quote:
Maybe for the soil in the ground, but I wouldn't say China is "Friendlier" to the environment compared to the West. They're just playing catch up from past damages they've made.

The air quality is still pretty bad, esp Shanghai and north of there, as is almost every body of water in China.
I’m talking about the use of diapers. Do people read?

Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This might ultimately be better for the environment. Imagine billions and billions of plastic diapers and their packaging ending up in landfills. Also all the energy used to manufacture, transport those endless billions of diapers.

Ironically, by being behind the times, so to speak, China is actually ahead of the West in being friendlier to the environment.
What a creative excuse for uncivilised behaviours.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You have got to be kidding! Being "behind the times" is exactly why it's getting more polluted - like London in the 19th century at the height of the industrial revolution the factories are popping up as quick as they can make them, using the cheapest filthiest unregulated equipment and methods they can find. I know you mentioned diapers, but that is a small element in the total discussion. The topic includes water pollution, land pollution caused by overgrazing and bad farming practices, deforestation, desertification, water usage by it's coal firing industries polluting streams, coastal pollution causing algae blooms. China is failing in all these areas.

16 of the worlds 20 top polluted cities are in China.

Slowly...slowly, the people in China itself are starting to put pressure on the government, in spite of it's rigid structure, to enact rules and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or