Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times

Advertisements

Has anyone caught hold of the most recent language protests in Hong Kong SAR? The language conflict in Hong Kong has been going on for a while now but boy does it seem like it has blown up these past few years! I'm curious to know how much Cantonese is being used in daily life in HK these days (I was last there seven years ago). I'm also curious about the status of traditional character writing there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 03:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
People in Hong Kong still speak Cantonese and use traditional characters.

Some universities in Hong Kong require their students to pass a Mandarin test, or take a Mandarin class if they fail the test. Some students are not happy with it, especially because only 1/3 passed the test.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:01 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
just speak english. problem solved

Old 01-28-2018, 07:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Ahm. The problem is that Beijing wants to replace Cantonese with Mandarin in Hong Kong.

Speaking English doesn't help Beijing turn HK into a Mandarin-speaking city, nor does it help Hong Kongers keep their Cantonese language.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Er no, I've been to Hong Kong enough times to know that is not advisable. You can get away with that in certain districts like Central and Tsim Sha Tsui but head out to the New Towns in the New Territories like Tuen Mun or Tai Po, some locals will speak to you in Cantonese anyway even if you are a Westerner.

That's not the point of this thread anyways. What I'm trying to find out is whether the use of Cantonese and traditional characters has diminished in Hong Kong during the past few years or not. Cantonese was still the dominant language the last time I visited in 2011 but over the border in Shenzhen and Guangzhou at the same time, I did notice an uptick of non-Cantonese speakers. Now with constant articles in SCMP and HK Free Press about new language laws and government programs and the recently released film Ten Years, it seems that there really is a language conflict going on in HK. Or is there? That's what I want to know.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:08 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That's not the point of this thread anyways. What I'm trying to find out is whether the use of Cantonese and traditional characters has diminished in Hong Kong during the past few years or not. Cantonese was still the dominant language the last time I visited in 2011 but over the border in Shenzhen and Guangzhou at the same time, I did notice an uptick of non-Cantonese speakers. Now with constant articles in SCMP and HK Free Press about new language laws and government programs and the recently released film Ten Years, it seems that there really is a language conflict going on in HK. Or is there? That's what I want to know.
Cantonese is still the everyday language in Hong Kong.

Traditional characters are still officially in use in the SAR.

That said, Mandarin is more and more widespread in use - and it's now pretty much a standard job qualification for locals - they will be at a disadvantage in the employment market if they can't speak it or use it.

Also, for official contracts/documents in the PRC proper (the mainland), it is a requirement to use simplified characters in print. So many HK people will have familiarity with its use.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Ahm. The problem is that Beijing wants to replace Cantonese with Mandarin in Hong Kong.

Speaking English doesn't help Beijing turn HK into a Mandarin-speaking city, nor does it help Hong Kongers keep their Cantonese language.
speaking english causes everyone to sacrifice equally.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Not really. Mandarin and Cantonese share the same written language.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Nope. Cantonese isn't going away as a commonly used language in Hong Kong. Mandarin will supplement but not replace it. Speaking English won't displace it either.

Too many people think from the standpoint of a monolingual American who can't fathom a person who can speak several tongues.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. The debate isn't because the languages are different.

The debate is that Beijing wants Hong Kong to be a Mandarin-speaking city, so it can keep in-line and in-control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia