U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,088,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if some people in the Philippines still hold a grudge against Japan for what they did in WW2?
my father was 6 years old during the war and never told stories of Japanese abuses/atrocities and there was a Japanese garrison in out town. even my aunt who was old at that time cant remember telling stories about Japanese abuses/atrocities. but she has stories of Japanese soldiers taking chickens, pigs when they patrol. either they didn't witness anything or don't want to recall the pain. but no stories was ever told of abuses, at least in our village. at that time, there were probably less than 10 households spread out in our village and so mostly forested and they can hide if there were Japanese patrols.

they also live far from the road so they could see if the Japanese are coming to their house so they could hide immediately.

of course there were really atrocities but it depends on the location. mostly happened in urban areas or cities or big towns, where there was nowhere to hide except in their houses.

for those in the countryside, there were the forests to hide and Japanese soldiers only patrol along the roads so you could really avoid them

depends on the people who experienced it.

what I know is that, we had a lot of Japanese notes when I was growing up in the 70s. it was our play money

I wished I kept them

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 02-12-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 11:20 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,405,536 times
Some of my wife's family from Singapore are in their 80's and remember the Japanese occupation when they were children. Unlike the Philippines Singapore is just one small island with nowhere to hide. Everyone was forced to bow when approaching Japanese soldiers.

People were beheaded and their heads displayed in public places as a warning not to oppose Japanese orders and directives. Some of my wife's family were just rounded up and disappeared. Thousands of young Chinese males just disappeared because they had some kind of formal education or were in the police or worked for the British.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,639,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Actually I self identify as Black as we are a family of military brats. Most of the men seemed to go to the Pacific region instead of Germany as I did when I served. I have a closer ties to the Philippines than to Japan. However in high school Japanese Americans were our largest minority to the Black majority and I did play with some taiko drummers. However I took that screen name years ago after watching a NHK taiga drama Hideyoshi and then reading a historical fiction about Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the "taiko"
You from the Crenshaw district in Los Angeles? That's been an area with both African American and Japanese American communities.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM

6,609 posts, read 3,658,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You from the Crenshaw district in Los Angeles? That's been an area with both African American and Japanese American communities.
Few Japanese Americans remain although some shops still bear Japanese names and White folks are the new young buying into the neighborhood. Most of the Filipinos in the area back when I grew up were the children of Black ex GI's and their brides.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,639,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Few Japanese Americans remain although some shops still bear Japanese names and White folks are the new young buying into the neighborhood. Most of the Filipinos in the area back when I grew up were the children of Black ex GI's and their brides.
Yes, few Japanese Americans are still in the area. I think that's also true of Gardena as well.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:48 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
She attended nursing school in the Philippines, graduated from that nursing school with a bachelor's degree in nursing, and could not find a job in the Philippines. Hence, she left the PI and worked for couple of years in Saudi Arabia in a hospital. She moved back to the PI because she felt really home sick after being away from home for couple of years.
This is a big plus. This means that if you marry her, she will be employable, and she can send some of the money home easily.

Most of the time, foreigners marry the uneducated ones, and then you add kids, and they really can't contribute to anything for household income.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,405,536 times
Well. At least she has a decent education and a professional occupation. Many of the less fortunate Filipinas get caught in the OFW trap and wind up cooking and cleaning in places like Saudi where many of them are abused and mistreated.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,445,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is a big plus. This means that if you marry her, she will be employable, and she can send some of the money home easily.

Most of the time, foreigners marry the uneducated ones, and then you add kids, and they really can't contribute to anything for household income.
I have heard of quite a few with just High School educations coming to the U.S. and taking courses in care giving and then getting pretty good paying jobs as caregivers.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,482,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm saying this because when a Filipina marries a foreigner, pretty much the entire family is looking at you as a money source. Just something to be aware of....as you contemplate some of these huge cultural differences.
If you marry a poor Filipina.. most likely. But you can't stereotype the entire country like this.
If you marry into a wealthy family.. different story... personal experience. With me my American mom married into an old Manila (wealthy) family. She was the foreigner and financially she was cared for, even though they did not like the fact that she was a) protestant and b) American. When my Dad died she booked us right back to California as they never really accepted her.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,482,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if some people in the Philippines still hold a grudge against Japan for what they did in WW2?
The one's who lived through it do. My grandmother refused as much as possible to buy anything Japanese. She did not drive but owned an Opel, Cadillacs and a few MBZs. She had to buy a Japanese TV at one point to her surprise. Her kids though.. nope no issue. Heck she did not even like Americans as she was pro "Espana" and she spoke Spanish to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or