Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:20 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,849,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post

She probably would want to send money back to her family. In the Filipino circles I used to socialize with the women believed that it is a man's responsibility to support his wife and kids. No argument there.
But they thought that if the wife works, her money is hers to do with as she pleases.
But all the Filipina wives I knew liked to shop and buy things for their husbands.
OP you know your GF, follow your heart, we can conjecture as much as we want to, but this boils down to- do you love her? Does she love you? And believe in the family she is starting with YOU, and your children together?

Just keep the lines of communication open- i.e. if she works later, and you guys need the money - TALK- share your finances and communicate. Its a modern world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 04:23 AM

235 posts, read 147,342 times
I am Filipina so here you go. OP is mostly on point on his observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
depends on the family. if poor, you are expected to help but it is not mandatory.
Very true. Unfortunately. Only poor people do that mooching off their family, really. I don't think I am like any pinoys though. I am not close to my family. While most of them live near each other, I never did. They don't even want me to live with them LOL which is NOT normal.

I just want to comment on the poster that said parents view their kids as slave. Not my parents. Like the qoute above and what I said. It's mostly the poor people that does that. We have our own business. So my parents taught us to run our own business. They gave us our own retail store business. We help our parents in their senior years coz that's how we express our gratitude. Not coz we're their slaves, WTF.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:49 AM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
I wonder if some people in the Philippines still hold a grudge against Japan for what they did in WW2?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM

12,267 posts, read 7,976,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if some people in the Philippines still hold a grudge against Japan for what they did in WW2?
I never saw it. My in-laws were children under Japanese occupation and Japan is one of the dream locations to go to for OFWs

Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 AM

8,372 posts, read 6,740,843 times
The Japanese occupation of the Philippines occurred more than sixty years ago. The people who endured that ordeal are mostly gone. I would wager that the younger generation knows almost nothing about it unless they read history.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 PM

101 posts, read 97,387 times
Southeast Asia remembers Japanese invasion and occupation less than China and Korea.

Also, Southeast Asian countries don't have territorial disputes with Japan, just historic war crime issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The Japanese occupation of the Philippines occurred more than sixty years ago. The people who endured that ordeal are mostly gone. I would wager that the younger generation knows almost nothing about it unless they read history.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:15 PM

361 posts, read 394,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
That's true too. My Filipina ex and I split years ago but her sister still tells me they all still consider me as part of their family.
And no, they never ask me for money.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you split/divorce with your ex Filipina wife?

I ask because I really love this girl whom was introduced to me by my mom's friend's, sister-in-law. My girlfriend is the sister-in-law's niece.

I think a lot of the "gold digger" type of Filipina's are mainly the bar girl type of Filipina's, or those from Manila, Makati City area.

I hope I am not being mislead.

I did meet with my girlfriend's parents, her older sister, her sister-in-law (but I hardly spoke to her brother...seems to be an anti-social person), her nana (grandmother) and her church pastor.

She was raised in a Protestant family, and her church is nearby her house.

I have seen my girlfriend do house chores when I was there visiting her and her family,..... ranging from washing the dishes, doing the laundry, moping the floor, and watering the garden. So it's not like she's a complete slacker who sits on the couch all day watching TV.

On the flip side though, my girlfriend currently does not have a job in the Philippines because it's hard to find a job in the northern parts of La Union province.

She attended nursing school in the Philippines, graduated from that nursing school with a bachelor's degree in nursing, and could not find a job in the Philippines. Hence, she left the PI and worked for couple of years in Saudi Arabia in a hospital. She moved back to the PI because she felt really home sick after being away from home for couple of years. When she moved back to her hometown, she still could not land a job in her field.

I work in the same profession here in the US. I could help her, and I really can do my best to get her employed here (if she passes her board exam to work in the US).

At the same time though, I want her to contribute to "our" future family with her income. I don't mind her sending off/ wiring $100 per week to her parents. However, if she holds on to ALL of her income, and don't share with me....well....then things will look bleak in the future.

I see a lot of positives with my girlfriend, and she keeps me happy by texting me via messenger everyday.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:29 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,233 times
The only way you are going to know is by talking it all out with HER, no one can tell you what she is going to do once married or once she moves to the U.S.. Myself and many others I have met along the way from Philippines forums and get togethers have happy marriage, there are some unhappy marriages but those were usually when the couples did not talk everything over before marriage, once you and her know what to expect and if there is love on both sides, then I can tell you that those of us who are married to Filipina's for the most part are very happy. Always remember, happy wife, happy life.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
OP you know your GF, follow your heart, we can conjecture as much as we want to, but this boils down to- do you love her? Does she love you? And believe in the family she is starting with YOU, and your children together?

Just keep the lines of communication open- i.e. if she works later, and you guys need the money - TALK- share your finances and communicate. Its a modern world.
Yes, CA Jerseychick.

I agree that communication is very important with my current GF living in the Philippines.

yes, I really love her. I cannot live without her.

I was feeling depressed and crying last week when issues of my freaking ex-GF...also a Filipina living in the PI, got involved and sent derogatory messages to my current GF, convincing her to break up with me. She did this after my current GF's older sister posted photos of me and my current GF, on her facebook page, hugging each other, placing our arms around each other, at various tourist venues in Southern Illocos area, and La Union.
Somehow, the facebook photos got around to my ex co-worker and my ex-GF.

I explained everything to my current GF, her parents and her aunt living in Hawaii of the situation between me and my ex-GF.....after my current GF, her mom, and older sister received vicious messages from my ex about me.

While my GF was initially upset at me, she later understood what went on between and my ex-GF, and forgave me. Same with her parents and her older sister.

My mom, typical histrionic Korean mom, is now not liking my current Filipina GF because of the drama that happened last week via FB messenger where my ex-GF and my former co-worker (ex-GF's friend, and she was the one who introduced me to my ex) sent messages to my current GF, telling her that I'm a cheater, etc..

My mom is not trusting my current GF because she thinks that Filipina's listen to one another, and that what my former co-worker and ex-GF told her may make our relationship go bad in the future...if we do get married. My mom told me over the phone "forget about Filipina's!"

Mom is now wanting me to marry Korean girls, and is asking her two friends to hook me up with Korean women back in South Korea. *thumbs down*

This is a BIG stark contrast to a month ago where my mom actually wanted me to marry my current Filipina GF and was in good relationship to her client/friend who indirectly introduced me to my current GF. After last week's incident, my mom told her client that she does not want to talk to her anymore, and sent her text messages that she does not like my current GF. I feel so bad.

However, I am still holding strong to my current GF, praying to God everyday, and will re-visit her and her family again in the PI at the end of May.

Mom seems to be more pliant these days because I'm a head-strong type of person, and if I really love somebody, then nobody can separate me from that person. Yet still, mom is calling her Korean friends, asking them if they know any single "agasshi's" in Korea. *shakes head*

Old 02-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Is this post a discreet insult at me? Yeah, I was thinking of legally getting rid of my Japanese surname in the near future.

But in my experience of previous Filipino friends, and working with Filipino's in the hospital, no. I don't think they completely hate on Japanese people.

Unlike Korean people who tend to view me differently, because my dad is a sansei, and I have a Japanese surname. Hence, the reason why I have been having difficulties hooking up with Korean women for dating and marriage. Same, vice versa with Japanese people who look down on Koreans, and even Chinese people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia