U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:22 AM

5,599 posts, read 2,906,513 times

Advertisements

I don’t know why people say Vietnam’s driving is crazy. It is just very crowded but considering the amount of traffic, I’d say it is very skilled driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 AM

657 posts, read 583,079 times
Its too bad but yeah, lots of scammers these days in Shanghai, esp anywhere near Nanjing road. It was not really like that up until a couple years ago. Lots of invites for tea that end up costing thousands of dollars, or I've read of men going to massage places only to have the doors locked and 10 guys jump out and demand big money. Overall China and Vietnam are very safe, but both places have scammers.

Vietnam has pick pocket kids in District 1 near the Sheraton neighborhood.

Then again, I sent a couple Chinese colleagues for company training and they got their bags cut open and had stuff stolen while they were walking around Time Square. lol

Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
In Vietnam, I had several incidents in which their strange manners pretty much blindsided me. Left me with a very uneasy feeling. I'm rarely surprised by manners in the third world, but I took note of these.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:20 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
There is another thread out there about Chinese behavior and manners.

What do you think about Vietnamese behavior and manners? Similar or much better, or a little better? How would you compare?
I have to get back there again. I was in Vietnam in 2000 & 2002.

I mostly remember trying to go INTO establishments, and have group of cyclo drivers quering, "Where do you go, where do you go?" They knew I was going in, but they just enjoyed harassing the heck out of you, for sport, it seemed, at times.

I also recall walking down the street, and having the most random of people suddenly sticking out their hands for handouts, as if foreigners were just known to drop money into any outstretched hand.

In short, there was always a bit of an aggressive energy to it. Whereas in China, it's just kind of 'unawareness of their surroundings.' For whatever horrific manners that Mainland Chinese might display, they were never aggressive or money-hungry, unlike the feeling that Vietnam would sometimes give.

That being said, that was 15+ years ago in Vietnam, and I've heard its changed so much, and so many foreign expats live there now, it could be a completely different type of place altogether in that respect.

On the loudness levels. I do recall hearing Vietnamese arguing loudly with each other, much like you'd see in China or South Korea. Which is something you'd almost never see in say Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines.

In short, loud yelling made Vietnam feel like it was 'on the China spectrum' somewhere. Unlike China though, I do recall a lot more laughter in Vietnam, which is much more on the 'Southeast Asia' spectrum of things.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,639,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

On the loudness levels. I do recall hearing Vietnamese arguing loudly with each other, much like you'd see in China or South Korea. Which is something you'd almost never see in say Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines.

In short, loud yelling made Vietnam feel like it was 'on the China spectrum' somewhere. Unlike China though, I do recall a lot more laughter in Vietnam, which is much more on the 'Southeast Asia' spectrum of things.

Sometimes they are just talking loudly nor arguing.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
China is much larger and Vietnam doesn't have that many nouveau-riche compared to China.
I do business both with China and Vietnam. Once I get to work with them for a few years, I prefer China. Once one develops a certain level of relationship, my experience is I can trust the Chinese more than the Vietnamese. For just new acquaintances, there's a higher chance the dealings with Chinese are more unpleasant. (disclosure: I can speak Chinese, but not Vietnamese).

Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM

I would agree with GoldenTiger. Long term I just feel I can trust the Chinese, but that's after establishing a relationship and weeding out the bad initial contacts. It will never be true friendship however, just good business relationships.

Vietnamese are easier to deal with in the initial stages with business, but honestly I don't have enough experience to judge long term relationships. I have one business partner in Vietnam that worked out great. Almost like friends, but not enough experience to comment on long term.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
I avoid Vietnamese, Chinese and Koreans establishments like the plague. Worst and most rude costumer service you will find.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 PM

102 posts, read 48,497 times
The amount of exposure to Japanese cultures is not as big as you think. Japanese things don't appear on television and some foreign sites like youtube are banned in China. Mainland Chinese children grow up watching mostly Chinese cartoons instead of Japanese cartoons unlike the Taiwanese children. The actual number of Japanese things fans in China is small in the large YOUNG PEOPLE population of China, and they are mostly large cities' young Chinese. The rest of young Chinese don't know much or are not interested in foreign cultures. This is because China has a booming mandarin speaking domestic entertainment industry, the popularity of entertainment from other countries drop.

Chinese travelling to Japan does not mean the tourists can forget about the war crimes committed by the Japanese in China. Love of a country's shopping, tourism, food, parts of the cultures is not related to history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's basically the same as the situation of China and Japan. Young Chinese people watch a ton of Japanese tv shows and movies, listen to a ton of Japanese pop music, and Japan is the no.2 outbound travelling destination for Chinese nationals as of 2017, yet there's still plenty of hatred and detestation between China and Japan.

Chinese in the large cities in China, not those coming from poorer areas of China, nowadays do not viewed westerners as rich people. Vietnamese in Vietnam still do. Lots of foreigners coming to China to learn Chinese or working for a salary lower than western countries, the Chinese feels a bit of superiority to the foreigners in China.

There are scams targeting foreigners in both countries, but the scammers are poor people from countryside, not middle class urban people.

Scamming or not. Both Chinese and Vietnamese have a materialistic culture dating backing to dynasties. Vietnamese was heavily influenced by the Chinese cultures, but less influenced by modern China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Its too bad but yeah, lots of scammers these days in Shanghai, esp anywhere near Nanjing road. It was not really like that up until a couple years ago. Lots of invites for tea that end up costing thousands of dollars, or I've read of men going to massage places only to have the doors locked and 10 guys jump out and demand big money. Overall China and Vietnam are very safe, but both places have scammers.

Vietnam has pick pocket kids in District 1 near the Sheraton neighborhood.

Then again, I sent a couple Chinese colleagues for company training and they got their bags cut open and had stuff stolen while they were walking around Time Square. lol

Last edited by HSrights; 02-10-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM

Chinese, even in big cities, do NOT " feel a bit superiority" to foreigners in China. The Chinese have certainly gained confidence because of the economic growth in China and how it relates to China as a world player. But the Chinese still lack confidence and look up to foreigners, esp white Western foreigners.

I'm not saying its right, but it is reality.

Also yes, lots of different foreigners are in China today, and many are low end income people from Eastern Europe, Russia and so on. Plus lots of English teachers from the west and young students. Certainly agree Chinese no longer think Westerners are the wealthy ones anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or