Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

... A sun/moonroof!

It's just something I've got to have in any future vehicle, since the last two vehicles I drove had one.

So why would it be 'radical' to have a sunroof in the Philippines? Because nobody else there has one!

Would probably have to import such a car and make sure it passes all local regs(with regards to emissions, night time illuminations, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
I'll bet it would be expensive. The expats I know who live in the big population centers around the islands prefer motorcycles and scooters. Cheaper and with the traffic congestion much easier to skirt around the traffic jams. In a rural setting a car or SUV might be the ticket.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Well you gotta understand that the Philippines is in a tropical climate zone - meaning that it's hot and humid pretty much all year around. So there probably isn't much of a demand for a sunroof in a car - given that much of the year, the vehicle is going to have its windows up and the A/C running.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
... A sun/moonroof!

It's just something I've got to have in any future vehicle, since the last two vehicles I drove had one.

So why would it be 'radical' to have a sunroof in the Philippines? Because nobody else there has one!

Would probably have to import such a car and make sure it passes all local regs(with regards to emissions, night time illuminations, etc).
Sounds awful...it's like 80-90 F all year round. People are often looking for a little relief from the sun.

I'm also not a big fan of materialism or showing off materialism. It's fine in a materialistic-culture like the United States, but it just makes a person look like a tool, or be a possible target for thieves when you are in a country like the Philippines where your toys cost more than their lifetime earnings.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds awful...it's like 80-90 F all year round. People are often looking for a little relief from the sun.

I'm also not a big fan of materialism or showing off materialism. It's fine in a materialistic-culture like the United States, but it just makes a person look like a tool, or be a possible target for thieves when you are in a country like the Philippines where your toys cost more than their lifetime earnings.
Uhh, most sunroofs have a shade for the glare problem.

And there's nothing show-off about one for me. It's all about practicality: cool off a hot locked car faster, and the car feels more open with glass on top.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:59 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Between myself and my friends, we have 3 cars with sun/moonroofs in the Philippines. They are indeed available in the Philippines. And after opening it for a few times/few minutes the first week of ownership, none of us open it anymore. Just not suitable for the tropical weather. I only open it at times to help dissipate the heat if parked under the sun for long periods, but not sure how effective it is.

I also have a neighbor who has a convertible. Rather than look cool, it screams mid-life crisis more than anything else... LOL...

Old 02-05-2018, 07:23 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
My wife and I live part of every year in the Philippines, I would never keep the top open in many parts of the Philippines, if I had one on a car, too much pollution and dust on some of the roads, IMO not practical for a good part of the Philippines but possibly useful in some parts, yet too hot most of the time.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Between myself and my friends, we have 3 cars with sun/moonroofs in the Philippines. They are indeed available in the Philippines. And after opening it for a few times/few minutes the first week of ownership, none of us open it anymore. Just not suitable for the tropical weather. I only open it at times to help dissipate the heat if parked under the sun for long periods, but not sure how effective it is.

I also have a neighbor who has a convertible. Rather than look cool, it screams mid-life crisis more than anything else... LOL...
Did you import them?

We plan to live in the Cordillera region north of Manila.

And again: I'm not showing off. It's just something I'm used to having in cars for the last 12 or so years. Once you've had a sunroof, there's no going back LOL!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Did you import them?

We plan to live in the Cordillera region north of Manila.

And again: I'm not showing off. It's just something I'm used to having in cars for the last 12 or so years. Once you've had a sunroof, there's no going back LOL!
A sunroof will probably be suitable in the cool climate of the Cordilleras. You do not need to import yourself. Just from what I know, there are variants of Ford Everest, Mazda CX-5, Volkswagen Jetta and Volkswagen Golf that have sunroofs from the local dealers.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
My wife and I live part of every year in the Philippines, I would never keep the top open in many parts of the Philippines, if I had one on a car, too much pollution and dust on some of the roads, IMO not practical for a good part of the Philippines but possibly useful in some parts, yet too hot most of the time.
THIS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia