U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:14 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
By "many" you mean 1? Kung Full Panda earned over US$500 million in profit. Only one Chinese movie, Wolf Warrior 2 has ever surpassed that. The Mermaid, arguably a Hong Kong movie, earned about the same profit.
Obviously we are talking about Chinese market only. Hollywood has a huge advantage in terms of international marketing.
Kung Fu Panda is nothing in China, in spite of the theme. Many Chinese such as my parents never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 2,915,782 times
The OP has a good question, which no one so far has really answered. Why did HK entertainment at its peak of popularity was more popular than Taiwan entertainment?

I thought about it but still not sure. The OP wondered if it was because of HK’s use of Cantonese language versus Taiwan’s Mandarin might have given it the advantage because the overseas Chinese communities tend to be Cantonese speaking. That could be a cause but it could also be the effect.

I know that Cantonese became popular for oversea Chinese in places like Vietnam because of the influence of HK.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:54 AM

501 posts, read 462,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Obviously we are talking about Chinese market only. Hollywood has a huge advantage in terms of international marketing.
That's not a fair, or meaningful, comparison. China limits the number of foreign films that can be shown in the country and takes a huge chunk of the revenue those films earn in a China, so local films have a huge advantage. That's like saying Baidu is way more popular in China than Google--well, yeah.

Quote:
Kung Fu Panda is nothing in China, in spite of the theme. Many Chinese such as my parents never heard of it.
Kung Fu Panda 3 earned nearly US$60 million in its opening weekend in China, the largest opening for an animated film in China's history, so that's hardly nothing. My parents have probably never heard of a Kung Fu Panda either, or most of the Pixar movies, or Katy Perry... my parents are not really a good metric for measuring pop culture :-p

Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 AM

9,780 posts, read 13,365,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yeah, but your parents aren't who they're marketing the movie to... nearly every kid here knows Kung Fu Panda, and you see the merch all over the place; there are even Chinese brands who license it for advertising purposes (the fast food chain 72 comes to mind).

Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,105,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The OP has a good question, which no one so far has really answered. Why did HK entertainment at its peak of popularity was more popular than Taiwan entertainment?

I thought about it but still not sure. The OP wondered if it was because of HK’s use of Cantonese language versus Taiwan’s Mandarin might have given it the advantage because the overseas Chinese communities tend to be Cantonese speaking. That could be a cause but it could also be the effect.

I know that Cantonese became popular for oversea Chinese in places like Vietnam because of the influence of HK.
something about it. The directors and the actors. The action was epic. john woo's hard boiled. Chow yun fat sliding down a car and shooting at the same time. So stylish. Jet li in his prime with fist of legend. They don't make movies like that except in southeast asia now.

Occasionally the US will make movies like john wick.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
That's not a fair, or meaningful, comparison. China limits the number of foreign films that can be shown in the country and takes a huge chunk of the revenue those films earn in a China, so local films have a huge advantage. That's like saying Baidu is way more popular in China than Google--well, yeah.

Kung Fu Panda 3 earned nearly US$60 million in its opening weekend in China, the largest opening for an animated film in China's history, so that's hardly nothing. My parents have probably never heard of a Kung Fu Panda either, or most of the Pixar movies, or Katy Perry... my parents are not really a good metric for measuring pop culture :-p
My argument is that China has better films than Kung Fu Panda. You made a bad argument by saying that Kung Fu Panda has higher profits world wide than any Chinese film buy Wolf Warrior II. I pointed out the fact that you cannot use international market to measure the quality of Chinese films. Understand?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, but your parents aren't who they're marketing the movie to... nearly every kid here knows Kung Fu Panda, and you see the merch all over the place; there are even Chinese brands who license it for advertising purposes (the fast food chain 72 comes to mind).
Yes. Maybe I should not say "Kung Fu Panda is nothing", but it is far from the top influential movies in China.
That poster implies no Chinese film is better than Kung Fu Panda.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times
I wouldn't say the HK entertainment industry is more influential than the Taiwanese entertainment industry. Both are certainly waning, and HK might even be losing it faster.

There are various reasons the HK entertainment industry was more popular, I believe that would be around 1980s to early 1990s. Taiwan was actually still under martial law and anything is heavily censored. The movie The Last Emperor was actually a huge hit in Taiwan, not for anything, but it was one of the first films that was allowed to be shown in theaters that was actually filmed in China. Still, there were a number of Taiwanese films that were successful outside Taiwan. Chin Han, Brigitte Lin and Joan Lin were very popular before, mostly in movies adapting Chiung Yao's novels. By today's standards, they were incredibly melodramatic and cheesy though.

Taiwanese cinema had the advantage (or can also say disadvantage) of being funded by their government. HK cinema has no such support, so although many of the overseas Chinese are Cantonese-speaking, not all of them are. HK TVB actually dubs a lot of their programs in Mandarin so they can gain a larger audience. They had several hits like the Condor Heroes trilogy. The major kung fu stars, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen also had some connections to Hong Kong. But since the 1997 handover, HK cinema is waning, and probably even faster than Taiwan's. I can't believe as late as 2012, HK cannot find another actor to give an award to and just gave an award again to Andy Lau! After so many years, there's just a total lack of young talent. Still Andy Lau and Jackie Chan in Hong Kong.

Taiwan cinema has changed, and the last popular show (to other countries) from there was Meteor Garden, around the turn of the millennium. Still a bit later than the HK hits though, before the Kpop invasion. Mainland Chinese entertainment is slowly gaining ground, but they're still not appealing to most people internationally. Tried to watch some highly publicized series like The Empress of China. But I couldn't last a few episodes. The plot and dialog are pretty shallow. The concubines act and talk like a bunch of high school girls gossiping and plotting against each other. There are scenes that are so illogical, like security seemed to be still non-existent even if someone already stole one of the emperor's most beloved possession. Seriously, Kung Fu Panda seems to have more depth than this historical drama and has better sense of humor.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 PM

6,227 posts, read 6,382,352 times
When HK cinema and TV was at its best before the handover, Taiwan was a one of their major markets.

Its hard to separate them though. Lots of people in HK entertainment were from Taiwan.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Tried to watch some highly publicized series like The Empress of China. But I couldn't last a few episodes.
That's like the worst one. Empresses in the Palace is much much better.

Kung Fu Panda is cute and all, but it's not great. In East Asia, as far as animation genre goes, Japanese films are far stronger hits. Everyone is watching them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or