U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's like the worst one. Empresses in the Palace is much much better.

Kung Fu Panda is cute and all, but it's not great. In East Asia, as far as animation genre goes, Japanese films are far stronger hits. Everyone is watching them.
Yeah, my favorite anime movie of all times is still Spirited Away. Actually went to Jiufen because of it, but the resemblance to the ghost town isn't really that strong and it's very crowded rather than deserted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,616,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
When HK cinema and TV was at its best before the handover, Taiwan was a one of their major markets.

Its hard to separate them though. Lots of people in HK entertainment were from Taiwan.
Yes - there was a lot of entertainers who went back and forth between the two areas. I lived in HK in the late 1990s, and it was pretty common to see entertainment people on the airline flights between Taipei and HK.

Singer Emil Wakin Chau was originally from HK but really got his start in Taiwan (he went to university there, married an American woman living there), and then came back to HK to record Cantonese language albums.

Saw Sammo Hung on a flight to Taipei and he was gracious enough to sign autographs for fans in the baggage claim area.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 PM

6,214 posts, read 6,370,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes - there was a lot of entertainers who went back and forth between the two areas. I lived in HK in the late 1990s, and it was pretty common to see entertainment people on the airline flights between Taipei and HK.

Singer Emil Wakin Chau was originally from HK but really got his start in Taiwan (he went to university there, married an American woman living there), and then came back to HK to record Cantonese language albums.

Saw Sammo Hung on a flight to Taipei and he was gracious enough to sign autographs for fans in the baggage claim area.
to add to this list I believe Michelle Yeoh is from Malaysia/Singapore. Edison Chen is from Vancouver, and Daniel Wu is American. Also Michael Wong is american.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,640,154 times
I don’t know too much about Taiwanese entertainment, but we do have a bunch of cds by Taiwanese artists from the 90’s. They were my wife’s favorite bands when she was growing up, so they must have had at least some influence in mainland China. Today, Taiwan puts out a lot of music and reality tv shows, especially considering the size of the country.

I watched this silly movie the other day called Shaolin Popey and most of the stars and filming was done in Taiwan, despite the plot being in Henan. It’s a fairly typical early 90’s Hong Kong style film, but I enjoyed it. Free to watch on YouTube.

I personally don’t care for any Taiwanese tv show or reality show I have seen, but some of the music isn’t bad.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 PM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I personally donít care for any Taiwanese tv show or reality show I have seen
They are so bad that itís actually funny to watch them from time to time.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 PM

102 posts, read 48,497 times
In the later half of the 20th century, Japan leaded Asia in open minded entertainment first followed by Hong Kong. But Japanese movies did not a have a large overseas following unlike HK. They were more sucessful overseas with cartoons.

Maybe both South Korea and Taiwan had stricter censorship than Hong Kong.

Hong Kong follows the free policy of the UK mostly. Entertainment in HK was and is still more conservative than Japan and the UK on sexual issues.

The Shanghai industry relocating to mostly HK instead of Taiwan is also a factor.

Taiwan actually has an advantage with Mandarin music. Many songs popular in China, Singapore and Malaysia Chinese speaking communities are by taiwanese artists instead of HK artists.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
to add to this list I believe Michelle Yeoh is from Malaysia/Singapore. Edison Chen is from Vancouver, and Daniel Wu is American. Also Michael Wong is american.
Yep. You can also add

Lee Hom Wang (from Massachusetts), and Coco Lee (grew up in SF).

Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM

It's actually kind of sad in a way to see the decline of the HK film industry, as it used to be a power house.

Some possible factors:

1) some triad investment into the industry led to a lot of shoddy products and productions. Eventually when returns to the industry went down, the mob got out, but the damage had been done. In the meantime, the local movie viewers switched to foreign made films more and more, into the 1990s and 2000s.

2) the weakening of the local TV industry, which has been traditionally a farm team for producing film talent. Problem was that TVB had long been dominant over rival ATV, which eventually shut down recently. TVB's long dominant position often led them to be less innovative with the program content.

3) Opening up of the Mainland Market - producers began to eye the bigger China market opening up after 1997. Now in order to be able to enter the PRC film market and not be restricted as a "foreign film" - HK production companies increasingly did joint productions with mainland film companies. This also meant that over time, film scripts and stories were made with an focus towards the mainland, and less on uniquely local HK themes, given the market size/disparities.

So the big established stars like Jackie Chan, Andy Lau, and Sammi Cheng are doing work more and more in the PRC proper. It's great to see cooperation, but at the same time, I miss the films that focus on HK particular, such as directors like Fruit Chan.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 PM

276 posts, read 204,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
This is just out of curiosity.

I often wonder why the Taiwanese Mandarin entertainment did not develop as quickly as like Hong Kong entertainment.

Did it have to do with the fact that Hong Kong Entertainment was able to sell records/tapes/CDs/videos/Films to over seas Chinese communities as they were overwhelmingly Cantonese at the time and were able to make more money to develop further?

Did Taiwanese government policies also maybe play a role as well?

Never mind mainland China, as all variety entertainment was destroyed by Mao Ze Dong and he closed off China from the rest of the world and did not allow pop culture to be part of China. Shanghai was China's Hollywood during Republic of China rule, but all of it was gone under People's Republic of China and the Shanghainese entertainers left to British Colony Hong Kong learning Cantonese and developing the Hong Kong entertainment very quickly and becoming popular. Maybe that may play a role as well?

When Deng Xiao Peng decidedly opened it's doors to interact with the whole world again financially and socially, pop culture entertainment started evolving again in China, but was not caught up like Hong Kong because Hong Kong's entertainment was already very developed and Mainland China had to start all over again.

Just curious about Taiwan's entertainment development.
I think from memory, I've heard from a youtube interview somewhere it was said that Taiwan developed later economically than Hong Kong. I think HK may have been the second economy in Asia to industrialise/manufacture after Japan in the 50s and 60s.

Added to this fact, many Shanghai immigrants left to go to Hong Kong and as you pointed out, the center of Chinese chic culture and entertainment culture was in Shanghai.

The HK entertainment industry was killed off by the Internet really. People are simply not willing to pay for entertainment in China.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,099,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
The HK entertainment industry was killed off by the Internet really. People are simply not willing to pay for entertainment in China.
that's sad. HK action movies used to be awesome. Now its terrible. Not going to watch mainland movies. Chinese cinema is dead.

Southeast asia is making some good action cinema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or