U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,421,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Kung Fu Panda is cute and all, but it's not great.
You're too kind. Kung Fu Panda was so commercial that it put me off. It was meant to be slapstick North American comedy aimed towards kids and not representative of Asian film culture at all. It's akin to those "chop suey" restaurants that serve you eggrolls, crab rangoon, and pork fried rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:11 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,421,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
that's sad. HK action movies used to be awesome. Now its terrible. Not going to watch mainland movies. Chinese cinema is dead.

Southeast asia is making some good action cinema.
HK cinema has been mediocre for a very long time. The industry had gotten so used to imitating Western films or doing reboots over and over again that there's hardly anything original left. HK series had a longer time span of popularity but even they have now begun to go downhill. How many times can the industry reboot "Journey to the West" or any of Jin Yong or Gu Long's novels without the audience getting bored out of their minds?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,088 times
Quote:
Eh who the **** cares. Taiwanese show business is vomit-inducing. Always has been and always will be. The tv shows, movies, music are all nothing but garbage. Ew.

Just watch the American stuff.
American crap is slightly less awful,lol.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
American crap is slightly less awful,lol.
America has really good tv shows lately. Itís the golden age for television.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM

116 posts, read 63,796 times
Quote:
What American shows are good to watch? Are you talking about Good Doctor?

Old 02-23-2018, 03:58 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
Quote:
I agree that itís the golden age for television, especially from the US. I think the previous poster may have only been talking about American reality tv shows, which are crap. All reality tv everywhere is crap imo.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,994 times
Quote:
I hope you're not talking about Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 219 times
Actually the Hong Kong Entertainment Industry is not as developing as that in the years of 1900s and the beginning of 2000s anymore. Now so many artists form Hong Kong or Taiwan are flocking to the mainland to develop their career. Taiwanese Mandarin Entertainment has the golden time around Asia thanks to a series of successful idol dramas like Hanakimi, My lucky star and so on, not only the melodramas of Chiung Yao. Although the Taiwanese movie industry flops, the music industry is the most developed market among China mainland and Hong Kong. Taipei is the headquarter of Sony Music, Waner, or Universal. Furthermore, some Taiwanese singers and songwriters has the strong influence like Jay Chou, A-Mei, JJ Lin, Wang Lee Hom, Jolin Tsai up to now.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
What American shows are good to watch? Are you talking about Good Doctor?
There are like a million. I'm really behind and slow on watching but shows like This Is Us, Big Little Lies, The Handmaid's Tale, The Crown, Stranger Things, Westworld, Game of Thrones etc. are all incredibly hit and quality series.

I personally hate Game of Thrones though.

Quote:
All reality tv everywhere is crap imo.
True lol.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:16 PM

116 posts, read 63,796 times
Quote:
There are like a million. I'm really behind and slow on watching but shows like This Is Us, Big Little Lies, The Handmaid's Tale, The Crown, Stranger Things, Westworld, Game of Thrones etc. are all incredibly hit and quality series.

I personally hate Game of Thrones though.

True lol.
Interesting. I don't really watch TV so I wouldn't really know myself, but I was under the impression that people simply don't find hollywood movies that interesting anymore. A lot of the stuff America TV is doing now is doing popular remakes of popular shows from elsewhere, like Good Doctor.

People at my work stopped talking about GoT after obsessing over it for years. Thank God - I really don't like that series either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or