U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 AM

102 posts, read 48,497 times

Advertisements

Kinda true.
Other than Singapore, which is in Southeast Asia.
HK had higher GDP per capita than all others in East Asia except Japan in the mid 1970s to 1990s.

The integration of HK into China, that HK artists and Taiwan artists are regarded as Chinese artists, the large mandarin speaking population in Mainland China, HK and Mainland movies having cast from Mainland China, HK and Taiwan in the same movie, with South Korean and Japanese artists appearing sometimes in the movies. These are the changes after HK returned to China.

Lots of foreigners especially South Koreans and Japanese are increasingly interested in acting in Chinese movies, does not matter to them the movies are filmed in Mainland China or HK.

At the same time, non Korean Asians are joining the K pop groups in South Korea.

Both Chinese including HK's and South Korean entertainment have gone international. Japan's and Taiwan's remain mostly domestic as before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I think from memory, I've heard from a youtube interview somewhere it was said that Taiwan developed later economically than Hong Kong. I think HK may have been the second economy in Asia to industrialise/manufacture after Japan in the 50s and 60s.

Added to this fact, many Shanghai immigrants left to go to Hong Kong and as you pointed out, the center of Chinese chic culture and entertainment culture was in Shanghai.

The HK entertainment industry was killed off by the Internet really. People are simply not willing to pay for entertainment in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,994 times
Started watching Nirvana in Fire and liked it very much so finished watching all 54 episodes after a month. My guess is that mainland Chinese productions are really taking over both Hong Kong and Taiwan. Even in this series, there's one Taiwanese actor. Odd thing is in the credits, "Taiwan, China" is placed after his name. I don't know why there's a need for it, but if they didn't put it there, I wouldn't have noticed.

Can anyone recommend a similar series? I tend to like watching these series with Chinese history and wuxia elements mixed together. My old time favorite was the Legend of the Condor Heroes. Last one I watched was the HK version. China just released a new remake, but I cannot get it from Youku yet without paying, anyone knows where I can download the more recent episodes?

However, most of these series have very strong Chinese cultural elements, that are often difficult to translate or for anyone without any Asian connections to relate to. Avenging a family member's death, filial piety, committing suicide to regain one's honor are common themes that may seem baffling to Westerners.

I watched this in original Chinese as I can't find any with English dubbing or subtitles. I think it is a challenge to translate the dialogues though. Don't even know where they got the English title, as it's completely unrelated to its original Chinese title, which means "The Langya List". But maybe they will eventually have more language versions in the future. Actually started watching it due to the recommendation of my Japanese friend, as the series has started to be shown on Japanese TV last year and is gaining popularity.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I wonder if they (mainland China) have the intellectual and emotional intelligence to make something as magnificent as Kung Fu Panda?
Itís insulting. Kung fu panda?
You would need to understand Chinese to high quality Chinese movie.
Try to watch Guilai or Huozhe, among others.

Remember good Chinese movies are not made for Americans to like, or to reinforce cultural stereotypes.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
to add to this list I believe Michelle Yeoh is from Malaysia/Singapore. Edison Chen is from Vancouver, and Daniel Wu is American. Also Michael Wong is american.
Yea and you canít be successful because most Americans are still racists.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM

131 posts, read 8,988 times
Jin Yong, a mainland born marital arts hero story writer based in HK.
Many wuxia tv dramas and movies in HK, Taiwan and mainland China are based on his novels.

TV dramas and movies based on his novels have many beautiful actresses.
His creative novels were translated into many languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or