Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a trip to Hong Kong, and I understand that apartments are very high. Rent for a 500-700 sq. ft. rent could cost $2,000. A local told me this.

But food is incredibly cheap there. A full breakfast of omelette, toast, and drink equals about $5 per meal, which is extremely cheap. That was at the restaurant in my hotel. By comparison, I live in California and $5 would buy you a drink only, not an entire meal.

The MTR is also really cheap. I estimate about $4 to get from one place to another one way.

So I was wondering what salaries are like in Hong Kong?? The cost of living is low, but the cost of rent is high, so how does this affect salaries? Does anyone know the salaries of common jobs in Hong Kong are? Common jobs as in nurses, administrative assistants, software engineers, teachers, CPAs, bank managers, etc.?

Last edited by sas318; 06-22-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,243 times
Actually you have to spent 2500-2700 for a remote (reachable to CBD within an hour) for a 500 sqft unit. For CBD areas or “good” locations, ~3000 is needed. McD is invincible. The lowest price a meal (burger+fries+cola) you can find would be $3.

Fresh undergraduate makes approximately 1,500-2,200 with the exception of ‘government’ jobs which is 40-50% higher.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM

63 posts, read 55,436 times
The standard-of-living in Hong Kong is higher than the US, in that a cheaper accommodation is likely to be better standard that the same in the US. You might be comparing a US 5-star hotel with what looks like HK's 5-star but is really 2-star. A breakfast costs around $5 but you don't get much for it as the breakfast is quite light.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Salaries are pretty low. Not sure what your point of reference is but this is in comparison to the US. White collar jobs starting level salary might pay around $1500 a month. Certain industries like Finance may allow for faster rising salaries, but overall it is pretty tough for many to have a comfortable living considering the cost of housing.

I agree with you on the food...you can get great meals for cheap. But it's also easy to spend a lot as there are plenty of expensive restaurants too. MTR is the best transit system I have ever used, imo, but I also wouldn't call it cheap.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:19 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I just came back from a trip to Hong Kong, and I understand that apartments are very high. Rent for a 500-700 sq. ft. rent could cost $2,000. A local told me this.

But food is incredibly cheap there. A full breakfast of omelette, toast, and drink equals about $5 per meal, which is extremely cheap. That was at the restaurant in my hotel. By comparison, I live in California and $5 would buy you a drink only, not an entire meal.

The MTR is also really cheap. I estimate about $4 to get from one place to another one way.

So I was wondering what salaries are like in Hong Kong?? The cost of living is low, but the cost of rent is high, so how does this affect salaries? Does anyone know the salaries of common jobs in Hong Kong are? Common jobs as in nurses, administrative assistants, software engineers, teachers, CPAs, bank managers, etc.?
When I studied abroad for a semester in Hong Kong a decade and a half ago, local students told me salaries are not high in Hong Kong and I doubt that has changed. Most everyone gets by, all of my relatives who live there do, but you won't earn much as a public servant or as service personnel. Hong Kong residents typically work very hard and work longer hours than their American counterparts. They also like to socialize a lot which means spending much money and so it is much harder for working class and middle class folks to save money over there. That and pretty much eveything has a fee to it over there. To us Americans, Hong Kong living does seem cheap since their currency is pegged as around $7.80 HK to $1 US but to locals, Hong Kong is always an expensive place to live.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hong Kong residents typically work very hard and work longer hours than their American counterparts.
Same could be said about Silicon Valley residents.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hong Kong residents typically work very hard and work longer hours than their American counterparts.
My wife was considered the overachiever in different American offices...she worked maybe 55-60 hours a week. When she did a brief stint in HK her colleagues regularly joked about her "leaving early to go on vacation." When we visit we always have to meet friends for dinner at 8 oclock cause thats the earliest they can get off work. These are just anecdotes and obviously dont apply across the board but still offers a fair glimpse.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
About 10 to 15k HKD, with which you can rent a toilet.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
My wife was considered the overachiever in different American offices...she worked maybe 55-60 hours a week. When she did a brief stint in HK her colleagues regularly joked about her "leaving early to go on vacation." When we visit we always have to meet friends for dinner at 8 oclock cause thats the earliest they can get off work. These are just anecdotes and obviously dont apply across the board but still offers a fair glimpse.
60 hours would not be considered an overachiever in most tech companies, on wall st, law firms, in medicine, farm work, or in science research at the very least in the US, as well as other industries.

However, it would be considered a lot in any unionized job and most working class jobs in the US.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
60 hours would not be considered an overachiever in most tech companies, on wall st, law firms, in medicine, farm work, or in science research at the very least in the US, as well as other industries.

However, it would be considered a lot in any unionized job and most working class jobs in the US.
Researchers have no real weekends or holidays.

In mainland China, many workers work on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia